Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-03-20, 07:51 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Crone Cronies - That's IRONY: When the Year of the Rat Starts With a Plague. May 3

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 08:22 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

We really don't have much planned today, which is nice. The past few days were busy. It's supposed to be another beautiful day and I hope to get outside some. Yesterday was perfect. DH and I went on a walk and I sat out on the sun porch for awhile working on my blog.

On Friday, I dropped by to see Mom and Dad on Friday. While I was leaving, Dad noticed that there was something hanging down under my car. So we contacted a mobile mechanic we have used before and he came yesterday. Turned out, it was something simple that he just screwed back in place. While he was here, he changed the oil in both cars and discovered I needed brakes. Since I can't remember the last time we replaced the brakes on my car, I figured it was time.

North Carolina is one of the only states in this region that hasn't opened up yet. The stay-at-home order is supposeed to expire on May 8 and then they are going to implement a 3-step process to open. Churches will be in the last phase, so we'll be at home with that for awhile.

The drumming workout is a DVD with four different workouts - upper body, lower body, abs, and cardio. They also sent a pair or weighted drumsticks. You do various movements with the drumsticks while doing moves. It's a pretty good workout. I use my high step to have something to bang on when they drum on the floor The only thing about these workouts is that they do standing segment and then floor segments and I don't like being on the floor. I'm disappointed in them some and enjoy them some.

Dede - My arms don't get really tired with the drumsticks. I think with the rope, maybe you don't move your arms around as much and you may grip them harder? Lyme disease would make sense with the little I know about it. You have so many symptoms.

Anita - It's cool they drum outside. It would be something fun to do with others at a distance.

Paula - My toes are so ugly with psoriasis that I wear summer shoes with closed toes.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 05-03-20, 09:46 AM  
sciencelady

Thanks for getting us started, Laura! I was off looking for quotes, but yours beats mine by miles!

More putzing around is planned for today - some weeding, some trimming (outside bushes as well as my bangs ), Gus walk, and just enjoying this lovely spring weather. Maybe will even mow my yard! I did want to check what I was doing about a year ago as I notice photos of my back yard vary lots from year to year on what's up from the ground or blooming so far, but this board now only keeps about three months in posts...

Dede, I hope you're able to get some answers regarding the possible Lyme's...

Paula, I guess I'm living as an introvert at my house as I don't really miss having lots of places open around me. I am aware of the circus being closed and my hair cut needs repeating. I've been happy to get tree service coming out and I assume my driveway could still be replaced. I did get my porch cover picked up weeks ago. I do notice the drop off at my vet clinic and people wearing masks in stores and at the WRC. I think some places are getting a bit more strict about opening as TJ had a 30 person limit in their store and I think Menards is starting to so something like that also. I don't hit restaurants or malls much to notice them being closed, but I feel sorry for all the people not having jobs right now. I do miss the charities accepting item donations right now as I've got about 8 bags of donations waiting in my dining room.

Laura, glad you're able to enjoy your home and yard . Our state is on shut down till May 17th - don't know if that will continue at the same levels or not after that. Cool drumming workout! I think this neighborhood would have a fun time drumming from house to house . I've never had a professional pedicure, but I'm getting to a point where I can't reach my feet very well - definitely not going for a nail polish finish though - just want trimmed nails and debrided feet - they're not very pretty either .

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 01:15 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Anita, I don't think I'll be getting any answers about Lyme. Since the blood test was negative, no doctor would touch it.

DS sees the hairstylist Wednesday. He has to wear a mask, but I realized he won't be able to wear his favorite because the straps wrap around his head. He does have one that wraps around the ears. I hope she doesn't accidentally chop it up while trimming. It cost too much for that. We don't have disposables. Perhaps they will offer him one so he can save his.

Laura, I guess your car trouble was actually a good thing if it alerted you to needing brakes. I need to call Subaru tomorrow and see when they can fit me in. It's been at least a month since my oil maintenance light came on.

We are supposedly opening in phases, but I don't see it. It wouldn't be so bad if people would only wear masks. Someone from the newspaper went to one of the malls to watch people. They said many people were just wandering around not buying anything. I understand why people don't like being cooped up, but it's preferable to catching the virus and dying. The paper also interviewed a respiratory therapist from this area who is working in New York. She said some Covid-19 patients bleed from the mouth, and they don't know why. That sounds horrible. And yet there are people who are questioning this virus. There is an actual website with "whistleblowers" and everything. It blows my mind.

We are at 80 degrees with sunshine, but I believe storms are expected later. Even though I don't get outside (darn allergies), I am enjoying the sunshine.

Everyone enjoy the rest of your weekend and have a good week.
Old 05-03-20, 08:21 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Laura, thanks for getting us started. When I read your theme for the week I thought, boy isn't that the truth! Glad you got to see your Mom and Dad, also getting doing car maintence is always good. California may never re-open. Some parts of the state have many cases, the central part of the state the CDC has listed as a "red" zone, i.e. vunerable to a servere outbreak. Where I am has cases but as a percentage of the population it is very low. Some of the beaches in my county are where there have been protestors on the beach. You drum while working out?

Anita, I'm with you in that there are many things I don't miss. We never went to concerts or plays. I did like to shop and I miss that a little, a haircut would be nice but not mandatory. Restaurants is what we miss the most. I keep hearing dates for the end of restrictions but they always get extended.

Deedee, darn on getting a new test for Lyme. I'll be interested to hear your son's experience with getting a haircut in the age of COVID 19. When I go to Ralphs or Target, nearly everyone is wearing a mask, as far as I can tell, people are complying here (except those protesting the beach closure). We have sunshine and temperatures in the 80's here too - another beautiful day.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-20, 07:44 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Yesterday was a beautiful day, pure sunshine and 80. Today is supposed to be a carbon copy before it rains tomorrow. DH will have a PT appointment that I'll take him to and I hope to get a fair amount done on a blog post. I'm writing one on how to deal with dates in Excel. It's complicated.

Anita - I didn't see you yesterday morning when I was starting the thread. I was late enough I was hoping we wouldn't overlap. I miss going to restaurants, even if we don't eat out a lot. And I miss going to church in person, both services and especially the small group.

Dede - Yeah, I had the same thoughts about the car. It was good that thing feel down since I so desperately needed brakes. I don't enjoy wearing masks, but don't get people who just won't wear them.

Paula - I recently ordered a new DVD drumming workout which included drumsticks.. We've been seeing quite a bit on our news about the California beaches and protests.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 05-04-20, 07:49 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on more putzing and maybe hitting a garden center to find some flower baskets and annuals. Also planning a Gus walk. Otherwise more putzing - if the Salvation Army is open I can drop some bags off with them.

Dede, you're lucky to have hair choppers ready for working! Ours are still being quarantined. I think your son can just hold the mask in front of his face with his hand while hair around his ears gets chopped or around the back of his head.

Paula, seems like our hot spots for the virus are meat processing plants - the one in SD is right on the border with MN, so that's our state's hot spot. It's a very rural area, so most of the health care is little clinics that can't handle severe lung conditions.

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-20, 08:30 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. No workout this morning, we got out early to do grocery shopping. Was a good idea as the market was nearly empty. I had heard the county food bank really needed donations so when we at the market this morning I did some shopping for them and took it by the donation center this afternoon.

Laura, drumming sounds like fun. I don't like wearing masks either - causes small pimples on my face. But I am not only willing to wear one, I want to wear one. I know CA beaches are in the news lately. But it really isn't CA beaches, it's primarily one city, Huntington Beach. This is a big swim/surf town. This particular city is known for protests and rowdy behavior. It has the unfortunate past of gay bashing, racial bashing and general bad behavior. These "true Americans" come out without much provocation, for instance the city has to have a huge police persence on 4th of July and Halloween because of history of bad behavior and intimidation. I don't know how much of the current protests are regular citizens fed up with isolation and how much is people with a lot of anger using the situation as an excuse to act out, given the numbers, I think it is a combination of both. In any case, I have no plans to go anywhere near there.

Anita, hope you found some pretty flower baskets. I've been enjoying the sunny weather to do some gardening. Dead headed and watered everything today - my roses are really blooming - just going nuts, one of the best years ever, probably because of all the rain we had last month. I'm not sure what our hot spots are, I know it goes through the nursing homes like a flame thrower.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-20, 09:06 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Today I did Step Boss bonus abs 2 and Push Pull. I was in the mood for something different. I'm getting tired of doing the same workouts all the time. I used to be able to pull out any Cathe workout and just do it because I have workout notes for all of them. But now I have to modify so much because of my shoulder. I watched some YouTube clips and decided on Push Pull because it was shorter and would be easier to modify. I also no longer like doing long workouts. I looked at Muscle Max and Muscle Endurance, but they were both over an hour. I guess I could check to see if they have premixes.

I called Subaru to make an appointment and was shocked that it was so easy. Usually, they put me off at least two weeks. She offered to take me today! I said that was a bit too soon and scheduled an appointment for Wednesday. That's my errand day, so maybe I can get shopping out of the way first. I always take a cooler and freezer bags, so hopefully, my groceries will be okay until they finish. If they are that hard up for customers, it shouldn't take that long.

We had lovely weather again today, but rain is coming. We were lucky to miss the storms that hit the middle part of the state pretty hard.

I saw some kind of hawk in the backyard today. It was smaller than the Coopers hawks we saw last year. A squirrel actually ran it off. At least I assume it was a hawk. It was rather small for one, but definitely bigger than my other birds and one I hadn't seen before.

Paula, I think protesters are everywhere. There are some very angry and frustrated people in our country. I understand it to a point. I understand all the people who can't make money being upset. But people who want to go to beaches and such? First world problems. I wonder how many people in the world wish their only problem was that they couldn't go to the beach.

Anita, I wish I had a green thumb. I always appreciate everyone's flowers but don't have the ability to grow them myself. I also don't like bees and digging in the dirt. So I guess I get to enjoy everyone else's labor.

Laura, it looks as if we have similar weather right now.

Waves to all.
Old 05-05-20, 07:58 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Yesterday, things got busy and I never got upstairs to exercise. We needed stamps desperately, so I walked over to the grocery store and got them and a few (light) things on the list and walked back. I figured that was my workout yesterday. I took DH to his PT appointment and worked on a blog post on handling dates in Excel. It's turning into a monster post, longer than I'll have time to complete before filming this week, so I need to find something short to do and make the date post next week's video.

Dede - I hope you can find some options that work for you for workouts that you haven't done in awhile. Much of the time, we do tend to get your weather after it's moved through your area. Today it is raining.

Paula - It takes only a small number to cause a lot of issues. There have to also be a percentage of people who are just scared because of the financial difficulties.

Anita - I hope the charities open soon so you can empty your dining room. (That is where the donations are, right?) We have several boxes, too, but not as much as you.

Laura's Workout Mantras: