Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-14, 06:02 PM  
try2bfit

Amy Bento dvd suggestions please

I am interested in Body Box (it is on sale at Collage) and was considering another Amy Bento video either: Step Challenge 2, Step Challenge 5 or Kickbox Extreme. I have KB Surge and Hi/Lo Knockout with a lot of other kickboxing videos (Cathe, Goudeau, Ilaria, Chung). I have not done step in awhile and know that hers is complex. I used to do Cathe's step workouts. I read that Step Challenge 2 also has a weight workout with it. Any comments or recommendations are appreciated (even if you dislike Body Box). Thank you in advance.
Jody
try2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-14, 06:37 PM  
Fitstick

Wow, I did not realize the price drop on Amy's recent DVD's. I have most of her workouts and ASC4 is my favorite of her step workouts - probably because it does not seem as complicated or intricate as some of her other step workouts. ASC5 I would only recommend if you have a lot of patience. I have done it a few times and still trip over myself -- because she throws big blocks of choreography at you with little warning and they are pretty complex. So you really have to do this workout a lot to get it. I think that ASC2 is a bit easier to pick up than 5, so it depends on what you want.

In regards to Body Box, I only tried it once and I would not describe it as typical kickboxing. It has some martial arts elements that slow it down and make it more complicated to learn with some turns and different things going on that are hard to describe. I only tried it once and have not picked it up since, I should give it another shot - it did not seem too intense and it tested my patience. I think that Kickbox Extreme is probably higher intensity than Body Box but you really have to like Amy's style because she does have a different style than other kickbox workouts I have tried. I would go for Kickbox Extreme instead of Body Box.

If you like hi/lo, I think that she excels in this area. hi/lo dome and hi/lo dynamics are two of my favorites.

Hopefully others will give additional input for you!
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-14, 06:40 PM  
Mandy

If you like Amy's kickboxing, I would go with Kickbox Extreme or In the ring(this was filmed on the same set as Hi Lo Knockout). I like In the Ring ab intervals with med ball. If you like the Hi Lo in the Hi Lo knockout, you may like her Hi Lo Extreme(although it does need a lot of space).
I have Step Challenge 2 and it has 7 premixes. 2 of the premixes are circuits that include strength training from Slo Mo Challenge mixed with the step from SC2. I like Step Challenge 2 the best from all her stepping. I love the music too. You get a lot of bang for your buck with SC2.
Step Challenge 4 has great music too. It was filmed after Amy had her baby daughter Adrien(sp?) I had to rewind a lot and still haven't mastered it. Amy's stepping is harder than Cathe's. The way I learn Amy's step is by doing it over and over. she doesn't break things down. She just throws it at you and through repetition, you learn it...with a lot of rewinding. Its a challenge,hence the title. Amy does have a tutorial to help with some of the choreography.
I did get Amy's ASC5 and returned it. I guess I'm more of a Cathe gal when it comes to stepping and Amy's choreography is much more challenging than Cathe's. I tripped over my step a few times when trying to get ASC5.

My favorite is KB surge. Bodybox is not as intense as KB Surge.
Her Bodybox is slower pace in that she teaches a move slow 2-2 count at first. Its a good workout, its not as intense as say Turbo Fire or Patrick's latest Patrick Presents Kickbox Burn. Amy has more "choreographed" kickboxing where Patrick and Ilaria and Susan Chung are more "drill".
When I want drill from Amy, I used her Premix Surge only from Kickbox surge OR just the "knockouts" only premix from Hi Lo Knockout. I love doing it that way when I don't want kickboxing choreography.

By the way, thanks for letting me know about Amy's DVD's on sale at Collagevideo!!
Old 02-10-14, 07:24 PM  
Mandy

I forgot to mention that Amy's Hi Lo Extreme has 9 premixes!! And 3 of those are circuits using the hi/lo from Hi Lo Extreme and the weight training from All Pump Extreme. Its another great bang for your buck.
Old 02-11-14, 10:36 AM  
jenn38

I like 2,3 and 4 of her step challenges. Not a fan of 5, find it super complicated and I like complex step. I have done body box once. I like the kickboxing but the body weight intervals I find complicated. My favorite Amy kickbox is Surge. It's fun with great music. Step challenge 2 has circuits combing her Slo-Mo workout.
Old 02-11-14, 04:45 PM  
try2bfit

Top 5 Favorites?

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. I thought Body Box was comparable to KB Surge (which is a favorite) now I'm not so sure. I never did consider her hi/lo workouts or In the Ring. Can anyone list their top 5 favorite Amy Bento cardio dvds? Thanks.
try2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amy bento, amy bento ross, amy bento step