Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-03, 03:40 PM  
actionwoman
VF Supporter

I met the guys in Radiohead (my friend worked for Capitol Records and we went to dinner w/ them)
I met the guys in Supergrass (same night, see above)
I met Greg Lougainis (he came to my brother's funeral)
I met Joyce Carol Oates and Irvine Welsh at book signings

I've spotted more celebs than I've met since I live in NYC and they're all over the place! Latest was last weekend - Willem Defoe was sitting at the counter in my local coffee joint.
actionwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 03:44 PM  
Marylandmom
VF Supporter

I forgot one celebrity I met who I almost scared to death. I was on a flight to Charlotte, NC and Tom Joyner and his crew were on the same plane. He's a very popular syndicated disc jockey that airs on various radio stations across the country. I was so excited because I love his radio show. When we got off of the plane I stayed a little distance behind them and got to the area where you pick up your luggage. I approached him from behind and said I love your show and would love an autograph. He didn't see me at first and he grabbed his heart and said "damn baby, you about to give brotha a heart attack.". I was so embarassed but he was very gracious and did give me the autograph and shook my hand.

Paula
Marylandmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 03:45 PM  
Pepnchar

I'm not sure if anyone here will know who I am talking about...
But just yeaterday I went to a business luncheon and I met Sunny Kobe Cook. She was the owner of Sleep Country USA, and did all these corny commercials in the '90's (she's since sold her business and now has written a book).
Is Sleep Country USA just a Northwest thing? BTW, it's a mattress store.

I met a local news anchor person (Joyce Taylor from KING and KIRO in Seattle)in college -- she was part of the Alumni Association, I was receiving a scholarship from the Alumni Association. She was a former cheerleader and I was a current cheerleader. I was really excited about that one!

I also met several of the Laker Girls at cheerleader camp in college. They taught us a few dance routines.

That's it for me, but my sister drove down to California with her best friend and they met Carson Daly from MTV at some Spring Break event.
Pepnchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 03:51 PM  
Pepnchar

Supposedly Ryan Stiles (the really tall guy from the Drew Carey show and Who's Line is it anyway) lives in my hometown. I know a lot of people who say they've seen him or met him, but I haven't seen him yet. Have you, Loretta S.?
Pepnchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 03:57 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Ooh, Ooh, I want to play!

First of all, two famous people I went to school with but never met:

Calista Flockhart--She was a senior at my high school when I was a freshman; I used to see her at football games since she was a cheerleader and I was in marching band.
Bret Boone (baseball player)--He was a year behind me in middle school, and one of my best friends who was a year younger than me knew him well.

Okay, here are some famous people I've actually talked to, going from least to most obscure:
Davy Jones--He was touring with The Brady Bunch Live!, and my friend and I waited in line for an hour after the performance to meet him. When we did, all I could say was "You look great!" :rolleyes:
Willy Lopez (the guy who killed Patrick Swayze in ghost)--I don't remember his real name, but he's a comedian, and I went to his show in Philly and met him afterward. He asked me if my lips were real (see picture--they are!!!).
Mike Nelson--Most of you won't know who this is, but fans of Mystery Science Theater 3000 will remember him as the second host. Went and got his autograph after he did a show here at the Dryden Theater in Rochester; my husband had a conversation with him about why the show is no longer on the air.

Thanks for the fun thread, and hello to Rita, my Rochester neighbor!

Beth
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 03:57 PM  
joanna33

used to date a musician..so i got to meet 38 special, kansas, romantics,cheap trick.....and at a fundraiser, i met george clooney,very handsome but somewhat aloof.
Old 11-14-03, 04:00 PM  
SooeyGun
VF Supporter

Fun Stories

When I was a cook at the Banff Springs Hotel, I got to cook omelettes out on a buffet for the annual Celebrity Ski weekend. Boy did we go through a lot of egg whites for that. They all wanted egg white omelettes!!

Most of the celebs were sort of B list, but it was exciting all the same. And it was very funny that I (in my late 20's at the time) knew who everyone was, and the "younguns" (late teens, early 20's) didn't know who anyone was.

Met William Shatner (top of my list, being a Trekkie), Michael York, Charles Shaughnessy (shane of Days), Stephen Stills (the young cooks really had NO idea who he was), Johnny Cochrane, Ian Ziering, Bob costas and there were more, but I don't remember.

As a cook it was always fun to be able to say you had cooked for so and so, even if you hadn't met them. I remember my friend calling me in excitement to say John Travolta had eaten her brownies.

Susan
SooeyGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 04:09 PM  
Catgirl
VF Supporter

Funky Coach Pitino

Quote:
Rick Pitno - basketball coach for the University of Kentucky and now University of Louisville.
Yep, they even had this song called "Funky Coach Pitino" that got played all through basketball season. One of those horrible ditties that gets stuck in your head after hearing it once!

Catgirl
Catgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 04:11 PM  
mparker

I met Keith Richard of the Stones when he came to a business appointment when I worked for Columbia Pictures in the late 1960's. I also met Arthur Miller, the playwright, who also had an appointment at Screen Gems where I worked, the Dave Clark Five, the Kinks, Annette Funicello, Steve Lawrence, Jackie Cooper (in an elevator). As you can see, I am an oldie (58) and go way back. Now I just basically see celebrities since I work in Manhattan but never actually was introduced to any. maryann
mparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 04:13 PM  
mparker

Oh, I forgot one of the most important - Joannie Greggains, my fitness idol in the late eighties - I used to watch and tape all her Morning Stretch episodes and got a chance to meet her at a Record Stores in Manhattan. I spent a lot of time with her and it was the thrill of my life. maryann
mparker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celebrities, old thread alert