Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-20, 08:36 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
It was on several different news outlets that the virus can survive up to 9 days on hard surfaces. My internet searches provide the same 9 day survival rate.

https://medicalnewsbulletin.com/how-...e-on-surfaces/
Personally I would go with the CDC information. In any case frequent hand washing is a good idea.

Here is an article that explains the unknowns, some reasonable common sense precautions to take and ways to prepare should you need to stay at home. I think it makes sense to be prepared without panicking. This article strikes that balance IMO.
https://www.propublica.org/article/i...ign=pockethits
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 09:03 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I'm not sure where you got your info about 9 days on surfaces. This is what the CDC website says:

In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Personally I would go with the CDC information. In any case frequent hand washing is a good idea.

Here is an article that explains the unknowns, some reasonable common sense precautions to take and ways to prepare should you need to stay at home. I think it makes sense to be prepared without panicking. This article strikes that balance IMO.
The CDC information quoted is addressing products and packaging materials that are being shipped to America from China. Previous coronaviruses did not survive as long as this newest virus. This coronavirus is highly contagious and that is why there is so much concern. We don’t know that much about it.

I believe that the virus can survive up to 9 days on hard surfaces. I’ve not seen any factual evidence to the contrary. I prefer to err on the side of caution :-)
Old 03-08-20, 09:05 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post

That's a great article and a reminder that we have to think how quickly people are learning more about this and the information being put out there changes rapidly. It's frustrating, but I think we just have to do our best to try to keep things in perspective.
Old 03-08-20, 10:24 PM  
maitai

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
I really despair about the human race some days.
Same
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 12:39 AM  
shoegoddess

Repost from another thread
I live in a tourist area. Coachellafest and Stagecoach concerts venue is so close to my house I can hear the boom boom boom of the music at night. We live so close to the venue for the BNP Paribas OpenTennis tournament the city has to post no parking signs on the streets around my home. All 3 events bring in international visitors. The tournament was scheduled to begin this week. It has been cancelled as of tonight. We are waiting on an announcement on Stagecoach and Coachellafest for next month. The area will take a huge financial hit if all 3 events are cancelled but better safe than sorry. The first coronavirus case has been confirmed at a hospital in my area (20 minutes away)and a second one in the county I live in. My husband is 73 with a chronic lung condition and if he contracts the virus I don't think he would survive.My son and geanddaughter work with the public. I'm very worried.

We are earthquake prepared so in case of quarantine we would be reasonably ok.
I worked in a meat department of a regional supermarket for 35 years. I'm used to washing my hands countless times a day. It grosses me out when I'm in a public bathroom and see a woman come out of the stall and out the door without washing her hands!

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 02:41 AM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitai View Post
Same
I intend to listen to the CDC.

What I worry most about is people who insist on coming into work sick. On Friday, I saw two people coughing without covering their mouths. People think it can’t happen to them or because they are young and healthy , so who cares. You never know if a coworker has a suppressed immune system or a chronic condition that they keep private. In addition, there are older folks like myself in the office.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 06:03 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I attended a Public Health Department briefing on behalf of my school on Friday, and the Public Health folks were saying that the virus can live on a surface from 2 to 8 hours. They seemed confident with that information. Someone mentioned the 9 day survivability, but they said no.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 06:46 AM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegoddess View Post
. I'm used to washing my hands countless times a day. It grosses me out when I'm in a public bathroom and see a woman come out of the stall and out the door without washing her hands!
A new YMCA was built less than 5 minutes from my house so I was thrilled and joined. THEN.....

I was in the toilet and a woman walked out of the stall and didn't wash her hands. I yelled out "Please wash your hands" and she replied, "Please go f*** yourself"

I quit the Y right then and there and told them the reason! GROSS!!!!

Diane

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 08:02 AM  
antbuko

Well, I don't have a lot of space for stockpiling, but I agree 100% that we can not depend on our government to have our best interests at heart. After all these years, I can't believe I never really learned this truth until the past couple of years. There has been talk of finding a cure or preventative vaccine that is affordable. Shocking. How about free and mandatory? Anyhoo, I concur that it is a good idea to have staples on hand for emergency situations. I can't say I'll load up on toilet paper and water, but I definitely intend to continue picking up extra and store what I can.
Old 03-09-20, 08:04 AM  
antbuko

On another note, I can't believe how itchy my nose gets when I'm out and about and remembering not to touch my face!

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, introverts, price gouging, social distancing