Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-16, 03:44 PM  
alisoncooks

Going outside my comfort zone and reading some non-fiction.

Just finished:
Grandma Gatewood's Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail – by Ben Montgomery
Wow. How inspiring! This makes want to be a walker/hiker!

Now reading Hidden Figures - by Margot Lee Shetterly
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-16, 09:16 PM  
JezthePuff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I only wish I had some way to play music from a flash drive in the house. Sitting at the computer listening is nice, but I wish I had something more portable (other than my MP3 player).
We have some speakers that do that. I couldn't find the exact ones we have, but here's something similar on Amazon.

CLICK

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-16, 09:17 PM  
JezthePuff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy W. View Post
I finished The Whole Town's Talking, Fannie Flagg's new one. I loved every word! The town of Elmwood Springs is the protagonist, and the time period is from the founding of the town in the late 1800s up until the present day (and a bit beyond). You'll see a number of folks from her previous Elmwood Springs novels, Welcome to the World, Baby Girl, Standing in the Rainbow and Can't Wait to Get to Heaven.

It's a lovely, feel-good story of small town life, death and what lies beyond. It got a rare 5-star rating from me, and I recommend it highly.
One of my book clubs picked this one for June. Thanks for the review....looking forward to it.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-16, 09:40 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy W. View Post
I finished The Whole Town's Talking, Fannie Flagg's new one. I loved every word! The town of Elmwood Springs is the protagonist, and the time period is from the founding of the town in the late 1800s up until the present day (and a bit beyond). You'll see a number of folks from her previous Elmwood Springs novels, Welcome to the World, Baby Girl, Standing in the Rainbow and Can't Wait to Get to Heaven.

It's a lovely, feel-good story of small town life, death and what lies beyond. It got a rare 5-star rating from me, and I recommend it highly.
We tried to book Fannie Flagg for a local author event, but after she hemmed and hawed around via her agent for a while, she decided she didn't want to travel.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-16, 10:39 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post
We have some speakers that do that. I couldn't find the exact ones we have, but here's something similar on Amazon.
Thank you SO much! I'd been hunting and hunting with no success.
Old 12-08-16, 06:34 AM  
sherry7899

I am reading Kelly Rimmer's book "A Mother's Confession." It is quite a difficult read due to the subject matter, but I do want to finish it and see how the story resolves. I have a deep dislike for one of the main characters, so it is hard to read her parts. The book is told in two different points of view.

I have "All the Breaking Waves" by Kerry Lonsdale to read next. I really liked her first book "Everything We Keep" so I am eager to start this one.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 07:52 AM  
PhyllisG

I read the Jean Stubbs book recommended here and enjoyed it. As We Were...not sure of the title.
I am now reading Alice Hoffman The Museum of Extraordinary Things. Started it a while ago, didn't enjoy it and put it down. This time it clicked. My Book club is reading her Marriage of Opposites which I have already read.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 08:02 AM  
sherry7899

Phyllis- the book by Jean Stubbs is "Like We Used to Be." I liked several of her other books as well.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 10:24 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I just finished In Falling Snow by Mary-Rose MacColl, really good story!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 12:18 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Still reading the book on writing I mentioned above, but it's kind of slow going. It's a good read, but there's a lot to think about and I don't want to rush it.

Also, I just got a bunch of Star Trek dvds, and somehow they keep using up my free time.

This afternoon I discovered that the reason I don't listen to holiday music much is that I don't have my cd's ripped to mp3 format for easier access, so I've been putting them all on a flash drive to put in the car. The nice thing is that once the holidays are over, I can tuck the flash drive away for next year. Easy.

I only wish I had some way to play music from a flash drive in the house. Sitting at the computer listening is nice, but I wish I had something more portable (other than my MP3 player).
Bunnyhop, do you have a smart phone? You can put the mp3s on there.

There are a lot of good small speakers that you can use over bluetooth, or use an auxiliary cord with- it goes from the headphone jack to the speaker- costs about $5. Interestingly, the really cheap ones that came from big lots/Ross work as well or better than a few of the mid priced models we bought. Depends on how picky you are about sound quality- we are only mediumly picky.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, winter reading