Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-09, 08:25 AM  
Orlita

The bouncing in the stretches doesn't thrill me, but I do love the other clip. I like his voice, too; voice can be a deal-breaker for me.
Thanks for posting this.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 08:30 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaShanti View Post
I meant the clip where he's dancing dressed in a suit. It comes after the workout clip. His hat keeps falling off.
Oh I missed that part. I need to go back and watch again.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 08:30 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted_zebra View Post
I must have been posting at the same time as you. Thanks for your comments. If you do order this DVD please let me know what you think! Amazon has it but it's pricey at $26.95 which is why I'm hesitating til I know more.
I just ordered it. Considering the amount I've wasted on other stretch DVD's, if this is as good as I think it will be, it's worth it.... Like I said, I was really impressed with the little touches -- like telling you what to avoid to stress your knees (mine are shot from going en pointe at too young an age). As careful as I am when doing barre workouts and the like, I usually get frustrated at the wussy stretching available and push myself without care.

It is expensive, though, but for this I'm willing to be the guinea pig. It's the least I can do, since I've benefited from so many other's reviews on this forum... I promise to let you know -- just keep in mind that shipping to France can take up to 10 days.
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 08:42 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaShanti View Post
I meant the clip where he's dancing dressed in a suit. It comes after the workout clip. His hat keeps falling off.

No offense meant, of course. *bowing out of conversation now--and not too low, obviously!*
Sorry... I did not mean to snap at you. Touchy subject! It just gets very, very old... I have been ridiculed for my flexibility from a very young age, and have had instructors tell me I am damaging myself because they were sick of me asking what I should do during there ho-hum stretching segments... I learned to appreciate those who would go the extra distance for me. Class does this, Cam does this (and then explain it to me because they couldn't do it themselves).

I found his dance segment (thank you for pointing it out, btw) to be elegant and gorgeous. Even after I quit ballet, I was often dragged into dance recitals at school because they wanted the unique lines I had. I suppose the audience thought I was a contortionist too....
Old 10-11-09, 09:01 AM  
spotted zebra

I loved the dance clip! That was very cool to watch... I rewatched the clip from the program afterward and I'm even more tempted now than before. I like his tips too. Because I'm more flexible than the average person (or so I've been told) I need to be careful I don't injure myself. Whenever I've joined gyms it's the first piece of advice I'm usually given.

In Paris, I'm really looking forward to your feedback.
Old 10-11-09, 09:35 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie kat View Post
yikes!!! did you guys see the picture of the dvd cover? look at his leg!
it would be great doing this dvd would get me that flexible.
He's hyper-extending -- something most of us should avoid. Hyper mobile people often have to work hard on joint stability to counter the effects of hyper-extension. I wouldn't want to work with a video that presents hyper-extension as an ideal.

And his cuing in standing wide angle forward bend scares me. (And his "straight" appears, again, to be hyper-extension.)
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)

Last edited by SharonNYC; 10-11-09 at 09:37 AM. Reason: content
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 09:44 AM  
Orlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
And his cuing in standing wide angle forward bend scares me. (And his "straight" appears, again, to be hyper-extension.)
I wondered about that move. Seems to me the knees would be vulnerable during the bent-knee part. Shouldn't knees always bend over/toward the toes?

I've always been extremely flexible, too. And now my hips are paying for it. I also have to be mindful of not hyper-extending my knees during yoga. Thanks to the VFer who pointed that out.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 09:59 AM  
in paris

When doing any bare work, yoga, fitness, or strength moves at all, I always do what I learned early on in ballet -- I bend my knees to give the illusion of them being straight. This saves you from trashing them or unwanted injuries. Hyper-extending during strength-training is bad bad bad!!!

But when I stretch, a different story altogether! It feels so damned good to hyper-extend, my natural state! I have to be mindful almost every waking moment, most especially during exercise, to NOT hyper-extend that I would one miserable soul not to do it during stretches. Flexibility is just as important to me, as a hyper-extended person -- possibly even more. If I did not stretch thoroughly, through the hyper-extension, my muscles would lock up and/or atrophy. Imbalances would occur.

He doesn't glorify hyper-extension by any means. He stretches to his fullest ability. If you are not hyper-extended, you could never make yourself so -- so there's no danger of injury. He does not present hyper-extension as an ideal -- it is his (and my) reality. Do people not get this?
Old 10-11-09, 10:07 AM  
spotted zebra

I didn't get the impression he is presenting hyper-extension as an ideal, either.

I decided to go ahead and order (from the website with the clips since I'm not a big fan of Amazon.com these days). Hopefully I'll get mine within 10 days or so too. If I sell the Stacey Nemour DVD online I can justify the order.
Old 10-11-09, 10:38 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by in paris View Post

He doesn't glorify hyper-extension by any means. He stretches to his fullest ability. If you are not hyper-extended, you could never make yourself so -- so there's no danger of injury. He does not present hyper-extension as an ideal -- it is his (and my) reality. Do people not get this?
Well, I disagree. In yoga class we work hard with hyper-extenders to keep them away from the edge. I'm very inflexible, but even I can hyper-extend in certain moves if I'm not very, very careful to keep my knees and elbows a little soft.

But really, there are many different points of view on all things, and I guess we can just agree to disagree.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
old thread alert