Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-09, 05:25 PM  
spotted zebra

Question "Reach" Flexibility & Stretch DVD by Cirque du Soleil's Craig Hempsted

Has anyone tried Craig Hempsted's "Reach" flexibility and stretch DVD? It came up as a recommendation on Amazon after I got Stacey Nemour's "Secrets of Splits & Flexibility". Craig Hempsted has trained with Cirque du Soleil, The Royal Winnipeg Ballet, The National Ballet of Canada and Les Ballets Jazz du Montreal.

http://www.kineticflix.com/dvd/reach...-hempsted/1156
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-09, 05:50 PM  
bfj

I searched and found this clip of his dvd:

http://worshipsteps.com/reach.htm

I wonder how good it is. I noticed he bounces his stretches.
I hope it's a useful dvd.
Are you planning to get it?
bfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-09, 10:02 PM  
sophie kat

yikes!!! did you guys see the picture of the dvd cover? look at his leg!
it would be great doing this dvd would get me that flexible.

I my VF friends!
sophie kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 12:00 AM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie kat View Post
it would be great doing this dvd would get me that flexible.
If you are already of average or below-average flexibility, I'm thinking it wouldn't be possible or desirable.

No offence intended to any of the circus performers here, but people who are that flexible are usually double-jointed and their loose ligaments can create problems in later life.
Old 10-11-09, 05:47 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
No offence intended to any of the circus performers here, but people who are that flexible are usually double-jointed and their loose ligaments can create problems in later life.
i am not a circus performer but I am double-jointed and, yes, it does catch up to you...
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 06:07 AM  
CarlaShanti

I watched the clip in the above link. Contortionists always made feel slightly ill--just a reaction I guess to seeing something that looks unnatural. I hope he's not doing himself a mischief that he'll be paying for later!
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 07:58 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaShanti View Post
I watched the clip in the above link. Contortionists always made feel slightly ill--just a reaction I guess to seeing something that looks unnatural. I hope he's not doing himself a mischief that he'll be paying for later!
Excuse me, but you consider what you saw on that video moves from a contortionist? What portion are you speaking of?

I find that slightly offensive. There is nothing abnormal or unnatural about what he is doing there. Some people, like myself, are born more flexible than others. Am I freak???

Looking at the clip, I was actually quite impressed. He is very careful with his stretches, telling you what to do to avoid injuries. The stretches are actually quite gentle...

Despite some problems that can arise from being double-jointed, keeping yourself flexible and limber is a healthy thing to do. Should people who are not ever try to push themselves to be? No! (Though his stretches look sound as does his advice and, if you exercise caution and know your limits...)

But for people like me, this is a godsend! I had been thrilled at the notion of Classical Stretch (and many others), only to be disappointed in execution, because nowhere was there any challenge for me. This, perhaps, is the DVD I've been looking for all along.

Thank you, spotted_zebra for bringing it to my attention. I will be ordering this immediately if he ships overseas. If not, I will have to find one of my go-betweens.)
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 08:13 AM  
spotted zebra

I wasn't interested in becoming a kung fu master or stunt double either, when I tried Stacey Nemour's DVD. I just wanted to see what she could bring to the table with the benefits of her background. But Stacey's stretches turned out to be no different than what I would be taught in any regular martial arts class... I wouldn't call the moves Craig demonstrated contortionist. Stacey does the same thing with her legs standing up. It's not hard to do once you've mastered the splits. I used to be able to do that and I'm neither a contortionist nor double-jointed, just flexible.

Bfj, I was hoping someone might have rented the DVD already and been able to share more info about the actual program itself, before I make up my mind. I'll hold off for now in case I get any more information but in the meantime I'll keep it on my wishlist. His extensive ballet background and other experience still intrigues me. Thanks for the link to the clip!
Old 10-11-09, 08:17 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by in paris View Post
Excuse me, but you consider what you saw on that video moves from a contortionist? What portion are you speaking of?

I find that slightly offensive. There is nothing abnormal or unnatural about what he is doing there. Some people, like myself, are born more flexible than others. Am I freak???

Looking at the clip, I was actually quite impressed. He is very careful with his stretches, telling you what to do to avoid injuries. The stretches are actually quite gentle...

Despite some problems that can arise from being double-jointed, keeping yourself flexible and limber is a healthy thing to do. Should people who are not ever try to push themselves to be? No! (Though his stretches look sound as does his advice and, if you exercise caution and know your limits...)

But for people like me, this is a godsend! I had been thrilled at the notion of Classical Stretch (and many others), only to be disappointed in execution, because nowhere was there any challenge for me. This, perhaps, is the DVD I've been looking for all along.

Thank you, spotted_zebra for bringing it to my attention. I will be ordering this immediately if he ships overseas. If not, I will have to find one of my go-betweens.)
I must have been posting at the same time as you. Thanks for your comments. If you do order this DVD please let me know what you think! Amazon has it but it's pricey at $26.95 which is why I'm hesitating til I know more.

ETA: I see the website with the clips sells it for $25 and shipping is lower than Amazon's for non-Americans (at least to Canada).
Old 10-11-09, 08:21 AM  
CarlaShanti

I meant the clip where he's dancing dressed in a suit. It comes after the workout clip. His hat keeps falling off.

No offense meant, of course. *bowing out of conversation now--and not too low, obviously!*
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
old thread alert