Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-24-20, 09:04 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - my daughter talked me into Les Mills! She was taking Body Pump classes before they moved, couldn't find live ones after the move and I told her about the online class. Thank you VF! So, it's gone full circle! I still have a lot of Les Mills to try, and that's one reason I'm tiring of the rotation. It seems to be 80% Body Pump. As for your question, I think they mean to use the 55 minute version. There is a screen somewhere within the rotation that has links to all of the workouts listed, including the 2nd choice ones. I was using that to get to the workouts easier. Just don't ask me how I got there! When I first started, I was doing the shorter versions. I did a 30 minute one recently and it was the first 4 tracks plus the cool-down/Stretch. I really missed the rest!

Today I am planning on more Peloton. We've already walked the dogs, so that's done.

Have a great day!

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-20, 06:45 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Replying to myself!
3/24 - as stated above, dog walk, followed by 45 minute Classic Rock Ride with Denis Morton. I picked it because of the song list and I was not disappointed. There was a 4 minute weighted arm section that I struggled with because my weights were too heavy and it's not that easy to unclip and grab new weights. I also did a 10 min. Peloton stretch with Selena. It was okay. Then there was gardening, lots of digging!

I need to try a Power Zone ride. I have no idea what these are, but it seems like something that you need the Peloton bike for to sync your stats? So many new options!

Old 03-25-20, 05:49 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Early morning

Time to get back into somewhat of a routine. (That and I couldn't sleep well, so here I am!)

Lili: I read your reply yesterday and was going to reply - but got sidetracked. Oh no I didn't! I thought, 'Boy was I chatty the last two posts. I better slow down"!!! And THEN got sidetracked. "(Oh look there's a bunny!!!)* I think that is the Denis Morton Ride I did with Nancy just the other day (Sunday maybe?) I loved the play list also. and I only have 3 lbers behind my bike to use for arms. I won't go higher. It's lots of reps and I only do light in those instances. I HATE when I a.) Forget to turn on the fan b.) drop my hankie on the floor and just stare at it c) drop my towel on the floor (rarely happens) d) drop my glasses on the floor. . . Cuz yes. To unclip and get them/turn the fan on, whatever ?? Makes my graph terrible .... ha! Leg cramps do the same thing, but it's tougher to control them.

Power Zone training.? I think it's what gets us sucked into the actual peloton, but I know you can do it without the graphs/charts/metrics. But it's an estimate and I know for me? I am terrible at estimating. ALTHOUGH ... you could just go a little harder, a lot harder, etc, etc. I can't even say heart rate would be a good indicator but it's not. I can be in Zone 3 with a heavy cadence and my heart rate is low (using bigger muscles, less heart) whereas if I'm using a high cadence, my heart rate would be high - still in the same zone. . . but .... It can be done and I'm sure still beneficial.

the beauty of Power zone training is: No matter what your level, you are training in YOUR zones and no matter what they are, we are all working at the same difficulty level because they are our own zones. The other advantage of power zone training is: you not only train at your current level, but you get better and it's not an all out killer workout every single day.

The power zones are this:
  • Zone 2: endurance
  • Zone 3: Tempo
  • Between Zones 3 & 4: Sweet Spot
  • Zone 4: Threshold
  • Zone 5: VO2 Max
  • Zone 6: Anaerboci Capacity
  • Zone 7: Neuromuscular Power

Here are two articles (Skip the settings part of Peloton and skip right to the chart where it equals easy/hard, etc): https://blog.onepeloton.com/power-zone-training/

Here's another good one which could explain power zone training far better than I can: http://blog.mattwilpers.com/

So anyway ... it's a very effective way of training. Some days are easy, some days are hard. You're a runner who trains, so you understand that concept. Every day cannot be a hill repeat day or a sprint day! Anyway ... It's my style of training (obviously) and (most days) I love it.

I suggest for just pedaling away and listening to matt talk about Power Zone training - it might be beneficial to do the FTP warm up workout (it's 15 minutes long and he explains the FTP test and all that.) It's not a tough ride and even if you don't take the FtP test? You can get some insight into it.

Ok, babbling again. On to me, me and all me.

3/24/2020: Power zone challenge ride(s): 15 minutes with Matt (a low impact technique class) followed by 30 minutes of Matt Wilper's PZ ride, a Peloton stretch followed by Body Step Attack #114 (I think) **

** I HATED this workout for several reasons!!

this was probably the first time I tried a step class since I broke my wrist doing a step workout a few years ago (doing KCM's step)! So I was immediately wary and on edge about that. Being over cautious not to trip, blah, blah, blah. NOT going to an emergency room right now. It moved a little too fast for me with me being too cautious. It was the first time on my gorilla mat. I love the gorilla mat that sits on top of my concrete HOWEVER ... It is on puzzle mats, so when I came off the side of the step, I could feel my foot roll (think rolling ankle). I moved the step so I wasn't so close. My feet stuck to the gorilla mat, so think stumbling. AND ... I just was not comfortable. I did the modified moves. but after about 35 minutes, I joni'0'd it. That's all I could take. I'm counting it though and I know from now on to do a substitute (i.e. body combat or whatever)!!!! I have also found with the gorilla mat, plates/discs don't slide well either.

It's ok ... I can't love every workout. Onward.

As for the BodyPump being on the schedule so much? I think that's what I need. I get tired of the endless squats and lunges, but truth be told? I probably need them. That's what's going to help my legs get stronger. So with good music? Just suck it up and do it. dread factor is low.

I have to do some "catch up" with the Power zone Challenge. I followed the rules, they requested we do not start till the actual start date (only posted the day before anyway). I followed the rules. Since a lot of us are home and no travel this time, they want us all to ride together (the reason for the "challenge") . But ... for my team this time, since they changed the scoring (did I tell you all this?) I have to do between 6 (must do rides) and 3 add'l rides every week. That means 9 rides EVERY WEEK .... I am a little freaked by that. So while I'm feeling good I want to get some extra rides in. It's not as crazy as it sounds, since 30 minute PZ rides count for the Extra credit, so technically? I have to ride 1.5 hours additionally to what I already ride. Not insane. When I double up rides to get ahead, I do way more than that. I think it's just the "thought" of it that's freaking me out a little. I do NOT want to let my team down. And this challenge is all about "time in the saddle" and endurance. Soooooooooo. we'll see how today goes. (part of it is all the add ons I do as well. LOL ... like abs, walks, LM, treadmill running, etc.)

Ok, done babbling.
Make it a great day and waves to all!!!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-20, 10:40 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Short and sweet?

If there is such a thing for me???

I'm moving right along with my power zone challenge:

3/25/2020:
Matt Wilper's 45 minute workout followed with Christine's 45 minute workout and two 5 minute stretches afterwards.

Today's plan? Do the 2 more required and that leaves me the rest of the week (Fri, Sat. & Sun.) to do the extra bonus points for the team or go ahead into week #2. Decisions, decisons.

Make it a great day!
Waves to all.
Cleda
Old 03-26-20, 05:22 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

3/25 - Bodypump #99, 55 minutes and a dog walk.
3/26 - 3.6 mile dog walk, 15 minute FTP Warm Up and 20 min. Classic Rock Ride with Ally. After listening to the explanation of the FTP test, I'm not sure if it will tell me anything without a Peloton. I am enjoying the rides and would have done a longer one today, but I wanted to get out in the garden.

Cleda - I'm sure you will make it through the challenge, you always do! I do like having goals as motivation, otherwise I can take it too easy. Having a race to train for is good for me. I still need to read the links you gave me, thank you!

Old 03-27-20, 01:10 AM  
Helen

CLEDA
Maybe not short, but definitely sweet.
You did a step workout?! What's happening???

LILI
Nice to see you're still doing the Les Mills.

Being brief, but I'm HERE!

It's been hectic work-wise to get things organised for totally online teaching. Messages going off all day, hoards of emails... ARGGHHH!!

Worked from home Thursday. Today (Friday) I went in because both Alice & Tim kept interrupting me, whilst I was doing an online video lesson!

Not sure what I'll do the next 2 weeks - but we CAN teach online from home OR do the online thing but be at school (no interruptions)

Gym buddy & I have stopped as of this week. She came to collect her step Wednesday night & I also gave her tubing, a stability ball, flat bands, booty loop, weights hand wraps, ... all were extras or too light for me these days. She's set up her garage as a gym. Went & bought a smart TV, mats & some dumbbells. We did a simultaneous YouTube workout last night Christi - Stepping Zone and had FaceTime going so we could see each other DOING it. Her husband said if we didn't do that she'd be telling me she was jumping whilst eating chips on the couch! We did 3-2-1 GO to hit play at the same time.

Must go - powerpoints with voice-over explanations to make - SO much more work than just walking in and teaching from my head to the board.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 06:01 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

In this tumultous time ....

I am in awe and admire all of those who are doing their teaching online, who do the video teaching, the nurses, medical staff on the frontlines, those checking people in for the testing (we have many "pop up" drive thru centers - full to capacity and out of tests before the first hour is over) and to those grocery store, walmart workers, target employees, etc, etc. who are still working and keeping things going. I truly am .... so ...

Helen: My hats off to you. Will there come a time when they will not allow you to go to the school? That's the case here. And the more time goes on, the more gets shut down. I haven't been to the grocery store in over 2 weeks and quite frankly am a little nervous about going, although today may be the day. And what a wonderful thing you have done for your workout buddy. Both in giving her the equipment and for giving her the new lifestyle. What a great influence you have been on one another. !!! We don't do the video chat as we work out, but we do meet on the Peloton and high 5 one another. I think that support system is SOOOO beneficial in these times.

Lili: It's because of the faith of my other every dayers and my Groups on facebook that DOES help me to make sure I get my challenge done. Honestly? I don't know if I would do it if I were on my own. So I am again, blessed to have all you guys, have this check in and have my Peloton facebook group(s). I think you might be right on the FTP test (which is why I recommended at least listening to the explanation!!!!) But no matter??? If you know that zones 2 and 3 are endurance, you can STILL get tons out of the workouts. When I think back to spin classes when I took them in the late 90s ... We had no meters, no tests, no anything. We just rode and when the instructor said CLIMB! we climbed or if she said sprint! we sprinted. I think the Power zone might just be a little more targeted, that's all.

Me, me and all me ....

I am having ups and downs. MAJORLY ... I'm sure the same as most people these days. I have to totally unplug at times (A LOT). Get outside when I can! (raining every other day) and really try to stay positive. I don't mind the staying home. I don't mind sheltering in place. I do worry (and there's nothing I can do about most of it) so I need to let it go!!!! I am checking on all the family (frequently).

I think I'm in pretty doggone good shape. And my workouts continue to be great. Not too much soreness. I've finally learned the art of cool down rides and stretches. (Although to be fair - I've been doing stretches since I began the challenges and I DO KNOW how important they are.)

But enough of that:

3/26/2020: Power Zone Challenge ride with Matt Wilpers** 60 mins. Felt awesome. 10 minute cool down ride with Sam Yo (one of my favorite cool down rides) 5 minute stretch, and a 1 mile walk outside in the sunshine.

** there was a person on the leaderboard who kept me on my toes. We were neck and neck although I started about 2 minutes earlier than she did. Turns out she beat me. (Not by much) lol ... but any time I felt like slowing up or not trying as hard, she would high 5 me and I was like, "Nope !!! Gotta keep going. . . " It was fun. . . She truly pushed me far further than I would have pushed myself. And then requested to "follow" me after. lol. That's what I love about the Peloton Community ..... (She was also in her 40s ... so at bare minimum she was 10 years younger than me. Of course, that's not fair cuz I may weigh double what she does .... ) Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

I attended a "virtual" birthday party for my boss from 4 years ago. It was nice. She was surprised to see how many gathered for her birthday. They had originally planned a trip to Nashville, but of course, given the current circumstances, that is now on hold.

Ok, off to figure out the schedule. The extra credit ride today and then 1-3 rides for extra points for the team. Itching to do a Body Combat too. I hope it's on that rotation schedule. . . . .

Make it a great day and waves to all.
Cleda
Old 03-27-20, 05:24 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - I really smiled when I read about your workout with your buddy. What a great idea! How nice of you to enable her with equipment. Good luck with the online classes.
Cleda - thank you for all of the Peloton advice/information. I will work my way through it. 90 days is a long free trial! I have also distanced myself from the constant news updates. It's not helping me mentally and it's not changing a darn thing!

3/27 - I got hooked on my jigsaw puzzle today and did little else. We did walk the dogs and I did some gardening, but no workout. It would have been a perfect day for a run, too. I will do better tomorrow!

Old 03-27-20, 06:05 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Must be in the air .....

Lili: I didn't do a "formal" workout either. Although I did take a long walk (gorgeous day - almost 70 degrees.) I'll take it. I also did the "let's see if I can find necessities grocery run." oy ..... I am exhausted. And didn't get anything I REALLY needed. It's the first time out in a longggg time and hoping I'm good for another 3 weeks. I then know if it's been 7-14 or 21 days that I did ok. Gloved up, hand sanitizer, leaving groceries out in the sun once they've been wiped won with a Lysol wipe. . Only taking myself in the store with credit card. No purse, no phone. Just me. The new norm . oy .....

Not to mention, I haven't been sleeping well. I do 2 hours here, 2 hours there and last night I think I got 2 hours total. Ugggg. So, I too will do better tomorrow. I'm not a slacker, a slower day is nice.

so ...

03/27/2020: Walked outside. (and I'm counting it!!!)

Ok, gotta go eat supper.
Make it a great day.
Cleda
Old 03-28-20, 11:54 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

3/28 - Peloton's Walk & Run, 30 minute with Rebecca Kennedy. Loved it!
Les Mill's Body Combat #80, 30 minute. I'm not sure if it was my iPad not streaming correctly or if they were off when they spliced it together. It is filmed 3 different ways, and they were often off beat or there were little skips, which really bugged me. The background scenery was gorgeous, though.
I finished with 10 minutes with Leslie (didn't want her to feel left out) and it was like an extended cool down.

Cleda - I don't think anyone would accuse you of being a slacker, but lack of sleep can take it out of you. Rest is as important as exercise.

When I got dressed this morning I put my workout clothes on to ensure there would be a workout. It worked!
Our race would have been this morning and I am so glad that it is postponed. It has been raining all morning, some of it quite heavy. I would have done it and hated it! Sometimes things do work out for the best!

Have a great weekend!