Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-14, 08:56 AM  
momofcha

Anyone with thyroid issues have workout suggestions?

I am really sick and tired of being so exhausted all the time. I just switched my medication to Armour and I'm waiting for the energy to kick in. I'm also reading up on what foods to focus on for those with thyroid issues - so I am working on modifying my diet.

This brings me to what workout do I focus on? I'm finishing up a PiYO rotation and I have been enjoying it. I'm looking at my next rotation and I want it to focus on having more energy and not wiping myself out. I am going to have kettlebells as my strength as they pack a lot into a short workout. What else? Should I do 7Day Lean? CS/Essentrics?

Anyone have thyroid issues and actually work out and feel better?

thanks!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 09:11 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I find that a daily walk helps me a lot. Just getting out, moving and getting fresh air.

I also like workouts that don't wipe me out - Jessica Smith on Youtube, Kathy Smith, weight training, Ellen Barrett fusion-type things.

Do you enjoy yoga at all? Kundalini yoga has been helpful for my low thyroid/lack of energy. Some people might say it's all hype but the glands are a focus in Kundalini and personally, I feel a difference for the better.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 09:27 AM  
TinierTina

My guess: adding light weights to a cardio component and/or other forms of severe muscle endurance training that do NOT have too much emphasis on speed and agility; and do this in heavy rotation. Body sculpture (throwback '80s style), slow flow vinyasa yoga, beginner bootcamp heavily modified - one of the Coach Nicole Sparkpeople workouts maybe?

I'm extrapolating from what conditions I actually do have.

In a word: Being postmenopausal and with issues gives me this insight.
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 09:58 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Sue, I hope the Armour helps you. I've tried pretty much all of them and nothing has helped, although I didn't have too much trouble until I added menopause to the mix.

The best advice I can give for workouts is to keep them short. That has helped me the most, even when I've done tougher workouts. It's hard, I know. I had to ratchet down the intensity and time and hated to do so.

I hope you find the energy you're looking for soon.
Old 10-27-14, 10:43 AM  
JENILU

I do several short workouts per day of whatever I am up to. I love a lot of Jessica's 10 minute workouts on youtube. Plus there is fitnessblender and hasfit that have gentler workouts that do well for me. I also do a lot of short pilates (not right now. Just had surgery). Short treadmill walks at whatever incline I am up to challenging myself with, and Leslie's new Mix and Match DVD. We have thick air here, so outdoor workouts exhaust me terribly. I feel like I have a bag tied over my head or like I am in a sauna. I was loving them for a while but had to do it really early.

Find what you like and do a variety of that in short spurts. I loved kettlebells for that reason. You can take care of so much in such a short period of time!!
Good luck! I hope you see your energy back soon!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 10:51 AM  
SarahJane

Armour should really help! I'm on Nature-throid which is very similar. My biggest problem is lack of motivation. Making a schedule helps, and also not beating myself up about it if I'm not in the mood to exercise every day. My doctor said that high intensity is out because it stresses the body and can make thyroid issues worse, so I stick to walking and barre workouts. If you're still feeling poorly, try lowering the intensity. Good luck!
Old 10-27-14, 11:00 AM  
momofcha

Thanks guys. My biggest problem is everything is wearing me out. I enjoy working out, but hate the exhausted feeling that follows.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 11:10 AM  
clerkin11

I have hypothyroid and I'm in perimenopause, so I understand how hard it is to keep your energy up.
I do most workouts low impact, but I try to keep the intensity up when I can. I enjoy the higher intensity because it does give me that surge of endorphins. Also, I figure it must be good for my metabolism to do metabolic workouts and weight training . I may be wrong about that, but it makes sense to me. My doctor has never told me to work out less. I do try to be aware if I'm eating for good energy and if I'm getting enough sleep at night. I'm not afraid to go to bed early
Being in perimenopause, I also want to work out to keep my bones strong and to help me sleep better (I have a sedentary job).
However, if I'm doing a high intensity workout (like hiit), I do prefer to keep it shorter - 30 minutes or so. And I only do official workouts 4 (sometimes 5) days a week and I just walk on the other days. If I feel I need an easier day, I listen to my body and I do something less intense.
I like how working out makes me feel so I just keep pushing myself to do something and remind myself that I almost never regret a workout after I'm done.
It's probably best to listen to your body, but also keep fighting for good health.
clerkin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 11:26 AM  
gladgirl

I am hypothyroid, too. I hit a wall a few years back when I trained hard at the gym with our trainer. In my experience, I did not know what was going on, no thyroid issues in our family, so I did not even think of that. I kept pushing because I loved working out.
Please be careful and don't push yourself too hard....I wound up with adrenal issues, as well!
After trying all kinds of workouts, what now suits me best are short, intense workouts. KB, especially. Paper workouts with bodyweight only...the metabolic type stuff where you workout as hard as you can but equally important rest until you can push again. MY workouts are now only 15-20min really hard followed by rebounder or treadmill or outside cool down...walking. total for me is generally 1hour 3x a week...on alternate days I do yoga, barre, something on the light side that I enjoy. This has helped my mood, my weight loss journey, and my blood work stay in line. I still feel worked out, but not dragging butt.
Rebounding, in particular helped with mood because I listen to my favorite music and the bouncing just works to put me in a great state of mind and physical good place. I had to work on the "mental" aspect of not working out as hard and as long as I had been used to. I just thought I "needed" to work out this hard and long to look good, to feel good....It is just not true. You will find something you love and that works for you!
It was quite a journey for me...eating-wise, workout-wise, lifestyle-wise...however, I am in my happy place with fewer off days than ever.
I wish you find your happy place, too.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-14, 11:31 AM  
SarahJane

Mary Shomon (popular author on thyroid issues) recommends T-Tapp for those with thyroid issues.

Tags
hashimoto's disease, hypothyroid, thyroid