Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-24, 10:13 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Inspired by the thread on General Discussion about Slim in 6 I did:

Slim in 6 - Start it Up
(on You Tube). I have to admit that this was harder than I expected! I think I was expecting it to be easy but my HR got up w/ all the lower body work and I think I may end up a little bit sore from it. All in all, I did enjoy it and the time went by quickly. Does anyone know what the difference is between the 'original' Slim in 6 and the "new" Slim in 6? I have a set on DVD somewhere, but I don't know if it is the old or new one!

Jessica Valant - Basic Pilates Workout

Yesterday I did get out to walk my dog. And today it is cold and cloudy and windy.

My contractor brought over three shades of white cabinet samples - for the life of me I can't decide - bright white, blue-gray white, or yellow white.

I know white kitchens have been over done to death but my kitchen is in the darkest corner of my house and I want something bright in there. Right now we have some light tan-ish cabinetry with gray back splash and gray counter tops and it is dark in there. I know white is a lot of maintenance, but I don't know what else to go with that would make it less cave-like.

I haven't completely decided yet on which contractor to go with - my preference is to go with the guy I know - he did great work for us and doing a kitchen is a major disruption so I lean towards going with what and who I know vs. taking a risk on someone else at this point.

Neita - I didn't feel the earthquake here at all! I do remember the one from 2011 (thanks, wishiwasinhawaii - I couldn't remember exactly when that was!) and before the 2011 one, I think we had another minor one - I was actually in the basement putting laundry in and just heard this roar - but no shaking. Crazy stuff!

good luck wishiwasinhawaii w/ your next surgery. I guess it would be very difficult to have one eye corrected and the other one not.

Hope you have a good trip Pam and can see the eclipse! I'm planning on going out at some point during it just to check it out (but not stare at it!) It won't be a full eclipse here - but hopefully I'll be able to see some change!

Hope you continue to feel better Sherry!

Take care,

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-24, 12:56 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

My workouts today were Lee's Qi Gong (Days 15 & 16) and Linda's Pilates Beginner Series (Mat Express). I really enjoyed the pilates express workout...very, very good!

Donna, if you're tired of the dark stuff I'd choose from amongst the lightest color choices but something a little more neutral in tone. I'd also be looking at the light reflection value. There are some really pretty neutral designer picked shades that are light without looking too stark white or too yellow/cream. At one time the Paul Revere shade (Revere Pewter) was really popular from Benjamin Moore. If you go to their webpage you can get an idea. Sherwin Williams probably has the same thing. If you like the idea of choosing from a collection (because of the name) ie BM Colonial Williamsburg colors, that might be a start. I chose my color choices based on some of the lightest LRV paint colors because we have low ceilings and few windows. The previous homeowners were into blue/grey on the walls in medium tones. Too, too dark, IMO.

Currently, here's the most popular paint colors from Benjamin Moore.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/...popular-colors

All of my trim/baseboard color is White Dove which has a LRV of 83.16. Something like Revere Pewter is only a 55.05 as an example. RP has a lot of grey in it.

wishiwasinhawaii, I wish you well on your 2nd surgery (and recovery period!)

Sherry, take it easy and stay well!

May Focus:
Miranda Esmonde-White Classical Stretch Season 9 (All Standing)
Sahra Esmonde-White Body Sculpting Series, Toning for Beginners, Ultimate Stretch workouts
Callan Pickney (AM/PM Callanetics)
Mari Winsor (Buns & Thigh Sculpting)
Jessica Smith walks
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-24, 04:48 PM  
Leonana

Today I vacuumed the house and mopped a little bit. I hadn’t done that for six weeks, and it needed it! I did use the broom in the kitchen and dining room every once in awhile, but not the whole house.

Then I went to one Goodwill with my friend. I got in about 1000 steps and decided that was my limit. I found a couple of pairs of long pajama pants. They come in handy when you are sick. I did see some yoga dvds and almost got them, but decided they would probably be too hard for me. There were two, Total Yoga, and Fire Yoga, with Tracey Rich and Ganga White. The Water and Earth dvds were missing, unfortunately.

Afterwards, we came back to my friend’s place and visited. Another couple stopped by to visit her and her husband. Turns out the wife had also had pneumonia recently and was in the hospital. Although, she’s a chain smoker and has some heart issues, so more serious. I’m glad she’s recovered, it can be fatal.

Weather turned colder again today, high of 68 with a cold breeze. Hard to believe it was 88 on Thursday.

Neita, I can’t wait to try the Shed workouts. My hometown of Yuma is near an army proving ground. Although we didn’t feel anything, it was probably twenty miles away in the desert.

Donna, at Goodwill I used to find one Slim in 6 dvd that seemed to be a high impact cardio, and was one dvd only. There was also a set of six that were numbered (I think), that were a different rotation from that one. It was kind of confusing. I did one strength workout and it seemed effective, but a bit too long for me, so I donated them back. Regarding paint colors, perhaps tape the swatches to the cabinets to see what they look like in the light.

Pam, thanks! I’m trying to take it easy and am resting the rest of the day
Old 04-06-24, 08:25 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Sherry,

I still have the Tracey Rich and Ganga White set. From what I remember "Fire" was the most difficult. Water and Earth were doable. It's just been so long since I've done them.

I also have Debbie Siebers' Slim Series and Slim in 6 sets. I got injured doing these, because they move so quickly. That was a long, long time ago. Her Slim & Limber stretch workout is really nice, if you can find that! I also liked using the tubing with handles, too! One of the VFers was in a couple of the workouts with Debbie. Her name is escaping me right now.

May Focus:
Miranda Esmonde-White Classical Stretch Season 9 (All Standing)
Sahra Esmonde-White Body Sculpting Series, Toning for Beginners, Ultimate Stretch workouts
Callan Pickney (AM/PM Callanetics)
Mari Winsor (Buns & Thigh Sculpting)
Jessica Smith walks
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-24, 10:41 PM  
Leonana

Pam, I believe you are right. Now that I think about it, the yoga dvds were labeled one through four by level of difficulty. Fire was three and Yoga Zone was four. I think I’d need Earth and Water.
Old 04-07-24, 11:52 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I have been in a real retro mood lately, LOL!

Today I did:

Tamilee Webb - Tight On Time - Body Blast - this one included: 10 min step section, 10 min lower body on the floor, 10 min abs, then there is a bonus 10 min section with a stability ball and a chaptered warm-up and cool down. I did the step, lower body and abs. The abs/core was probably the most challenging of those for me! I did do the warm-up and cool down as well but I skipped the stability ball. It was fun to do something different.

It is sunny today so I plan to go out for a walk - with my dog and also on my own.

Pam - thanks for the paint and color tips! Very helpful!!

Sherry - I hope you are recovering - wow, it seems like there was a pneumonia outbreak out there-didn't you say one of the ladies in the cafeteria also had it? I guess it could be contagious? I guess that is why there is a vaccine for it? I really don't know anything about it I have had bronchitis but never pneumonia.

waves, wishiwasinhawaii!!

Neita - those types of workouts you described in Shed are the ones I enjoy as well!! Along with the fusion workouts, which I have to get back to at some point. I did 2 weeks....

I am sort of toying with doing Slim in 6 - but not as written - there is no way I could do the same workout 6 days in a row. I was thinking Slim in 6 3x a week, maybe one day of one of the Slim Series Express Workouts, and then the rest of the time I fill it in with whatever i'm in the mood for.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
Old 04-07-24, 04:47 PM  
Leonana

Today I did day one of the Lee Holden 30 day challenge. The deep breathing at the beginning seemed to work out the soreness around my ribs from coughing. I feel a bit better and more relaxed.

The congestion in my lungs cleared up but I still have congestion in my head, like an head cold, and a scratchy throat. That was causing some coughing the past few days, but fortunately it seems to be clearing up a bit. I guess that’s the last little bit hanging on. I did read that mild to moderate pneumonia lasts two to three weeks after treatment. Friday was two weeks after finishing my last round of antibiotics, so I guess I’m doing better than I thought.

Good news, I finished our taxes today, and we got a refund! I applied it to first quarter taxes, so I don’t have to worry about paying estimated tax. Woo hoo! That’s always a bit stressful, if you owe tax on your return and first quarter tax too, both on April 15. So I’m relieved.

Donna, a school is more susceptible to passing stuff around, so not surprised two of us came down with it. It’s also common in nursing homes and hospitals. The friend of a friend is in her 60’s and a chain smoker, so not surprising there either. It’s more common after age 65, I’m early at 64 ha ha. Our friends live in an over 55 trailer park, so more cases there too. Having said all that, it does seem like I’ve noticed more cases, but maybe that’s because I’m more aware of it. I’ve never had it before and never thought about the vaccine. I’ll definitely be getting it when my immunity fades. I did get the flu shot. I read that they recommend the pneumonia vaccine for everyone over 65, but only a third of seniors get the vaccine. According to this article, you only need two shots, a year apart.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...a02_story.html
Old 04-08-24, 08:17 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone

Yesterday turned out to be fairly lazy. i did walk my dog and in the evening I did add on Jessica Smith's Energize & Refresh - which was a nice stretchy fusion workout.

I wasn't really sure what I was going to do today but I ended up doing a workout I didn't think I would.

All Jessica Valant today:

On and Off the Floor Workout - I used this as my warm-up, essentially it teaches you how to get up off the floor on your own - but builds to it with squats, lunges, mobility, etc.

Full Body Circuit - Leg Focus - this is one I didn't think I would do - it looks quite scary (at least to me). But I made it through - it is actually not hard to modify it to make it work for you. I didn't use the same weight as Jessica at all. I modified the single leg deadlifts by using a step to place my weight on and also went lighter. I also went at my own pace, you do not have to follow Jessica's pace in this one - just do the exercise as you can. So it did work well for me. I used my 5 lb kbell, my 8 lb kbell and my 15 lb kbell for this one. Jessica used a 20 and a pair of 10's I think.

10 Min Hip and Back Strength - this was a good one - contained many exercises I have seen before but which are good for working the back, hips, core, etc.

I hope to get a little cardio or walk in later.

I'm planning on going outside at some point to see the eclipse! It is supposed to peak here at 3:20. I hope it stays clear!!

Sherry - glad you are getting a refund!! I think generally there are always lingering effects from being sick that take a bit of time to clear up. It sounds like you are doing better. Thanks for the info on the pneumonia vaccine - I think a lot of people don't get all the recommended shots for whatever reason - in some ways I think the push for the COVID vaccine drove people away from vaccines and caused more skepticism and mistrust of them, and I think some people just put them off b/c they are unpleasant. I know for me, I have avoided the Shingles vaccine b/c it is one that has a lot of side effects and I am very sensitive to vaccine side effects, so I have avoided getting that one b/c i suspect it would make me pretty sick!

Waves, wishiwasinhawaii, Pam and Neita!

Donna
Old 04-08-24, 12:19 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

My second surgery is tomorrow so I'm just spending today doing laundry and other tasks around the house. As far as exercise, I did do a few upper body exercises with 3 lb weights and I went for an indoor walk and rode my exercise bike. I really miss doing strength workouts but should be able to get back to that in a couple of weeks. Next week I plan to do Jessica's fusion workouts.

Donna, Just my opinion, I'd go with the contractor you've used before, even if he's a little more expensive. I have to have the ceiling in one of my bedrooms repaired and I'm going with someone I've used before because I know he'll show up and do it right. I got the Shingles vaccine a few years ago and had a nasty reaction to the second shot, but I think it was worth it because Shingles is horrible.

Sherry, I have a friend who is afraid of vaccines and now she wears a mask everywhere she goes. She really should get the pneumonia vaccine, but I doubt she ever will. Sounds like you are doing better so that's good news and congrats on the refund!

Pam, Thanks for the well wishes!

Neita, That earthquake was terrifying, probably because I live close to the epicenter. It's crazy you were able to feel it where you live! It seems like it has settled down now. There was an aftershock Friday evening that was almost as scary as the initial one, but I haven't felt anything since then.
Old 04-08-24, 10:31 PM  
Leonana

Walking at work, 4500 steps. I didn’t do the Lee Holden workout today, I was so tired after work. I took an hour nap. Each week I have more energy, but I’m still not back to normal. My congestion is less and my scratchy throat disappeared, thankfully.

We had a pretty good view of the eclipse. At its peak, it covered about two thirds of the sun. The kids were given glasses, so I used a pair of those. The teachers brought their classes outside at the peak, which was around 11:20. It dimmed the sun slightly, it was still pretty bright outside. About one third of the students were out, I guess parents kept them home.

Donna, I should get the shingles vaccine but keep putting it off. At least the pneumonia vaccine is only two shots a year apart.

wishiwasinhawaii, I hope your second surgery went well today. I hope to do Jessica’s fusion workouts eventually.