Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-15, 07:40 AM  
lrb04

I suggest a child psychiatrist for possible diagnosis & treatment.
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 08:14 AM  
SuzieC

I will be going through the IEP process for the first time and don't know what to expect. Can someone provide info on this? We are also trying to get an aide in class but it's all dependent on the school budget. My daughter really needs one, however.
SuzieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 08:28 AM  
sherry7899

Suzie, I found these two books very helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/Wrightslaw-Pet...slaw+iep+guide

http://www.amazon.com/Wrightslaw-Emo...BR614QT07K49A4

I was trying to find the thread I started asking about IEP's back in 2011, but I cannot find it. There was a lot of information in there.

I'll try to find online resources later. I have to run now.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 12:43 PM  
cfwb

Two of my sister's kids have ADD/ADHD (on top of anxiety/other issues). They worked with pediatricians and other doctors and developed IEPs for her kids. My sister also went through a bunch of medications with her youngest - some of the meds would put my niece to sleep, some would hype her up, and there was one which made my niece "high as a kite" (as her teacher described it). Behavior/environment modifications can work for some kids; others need the medications to be successful. But what I've learned is that you and your doctors may need to experiment to figure out what works best for your child.
cfwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 01:17 PM  
Exercise Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
A neuropsychologist can be extremely helpful. They do really thorough testing. I am not saying that other experts do not.
Some schools and pediatricians are quick to diagnose issues as ADD when it is actually something else. We went through this with our son. The evaluation with the neuropsychologist actually showed he had an excellent attention span!
I agree...we had our daughter go to a neuropsych for an evaluation, and I think they generally run a much more thorough evaluation. Sarah went for testing over a 3-week span for several hours each session. I felt very confident when the diagnosis came back as ADHD with some anxiety that it was a correct diagnosis.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 01:22 PM  
sherry7899

ExerciseDiva-thanks! Our son's testing was two full days and one half day with only a few breaks. The doctor said if he did have ADD or ADHD he would not have been able to concentrate for such long stretches of time.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 03:31 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

I second the testing and exploring all possible causes. My younger D can be quite hyper and unfocused, but after thorough testing and working for years with a therapist we have determined her issues stem from attachment disorder and anxiety. She's adopted and spent many formative months in an orphanage. Of course, your situation is likely quite different, but I'm glad we explored a variety of approaches. Also, we have been doing neurofeedback with her and think it's working. It's not really clear and we joke that her Dr. spews out numbers akin to the "11" scene in Spinal Tap, but she has calmed down a it since starting.

Also, my older daughter's teachers used to say she spaced out a lot, etc. and we think she was just bored. For the record, she's a HS senior now, with amazing grades and is doing just fine. Once she hit middle school, she was much more stimulated and happy.

Best of luck! I know it's hard and I hope you find something that helps. Ronnee
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 04:06 PM  
isebelleg44

Thanks everyone! I picked up a Vanderbilt Assessment scale from the pediatrician's office for us to complete at home. Her teacher also needs to complete one.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 06:46 PM  
videofit

Teachers want all kids on meds so the teachers have an easier job. Tough! Maybe if they were creative teachers, the kids wouldn't be bored.

I always hear commercials for the Drake Institute. I used to know someone whose kid made remarkable changes thanks to that program. She didn't want to turn him into a zombie with meds.
Old 01-29-15, 10:54 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

In this very thread, people that have children with ADD or other concerns have had success with medication and or other treatments. Take your time and try different things. Please understand that almost all teachers want your children to succeed and most care very much. Medication and school counselors and teachers not only saved my daughter, they have helped her succeed and thrive.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhd, les fehmi