Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-20, 07:51 AM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Does anyone have Essentrics Flexibility Workout for Athletes? I have a few questions

Does anyone have Essentrics Flexibility Workout for Athletes? If so, how do you like it? How is it different from a normal Essentrics workout? TIA!

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-20, 09:20 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Denise, do you mean the one that came out way back in 2008? There are several reviews on VF, including mine:
http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...iew.php?id=384

I haven't had the DVD in years; the main thing I remember is not liking the voiceover! It just didn't seem to fit with the vibe of other CS/Essentrics workouts. Otherwise, I would say that the moves are pretty typical for what you seen in later Essentrics routines. The only thing I think is different is the "Splits" segment at the end--that's a bit more intense than most of the other Essentrics DVDs that I have (although not all that different from other routines such as Bendy Body).

Hope this helps!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-20, 09:47 AM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Denise, do you mean the one that came out way back in 2008? There are several reviews on VF, including mine:
http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...iew.php?id=384

I haven't had the DVD in years; the main thing I remember is not liking the voiceover! It just didn't seem to fit with the vibe of other CS/Essentrics workouts. Otherwise, I would say that the moves are pretty typical for what you seen in later Essentrics routines. The only thing I think is different is the "Splits" segment at the end--that's a bit more intense than most of the other Essentrics DVDs that I have (although not all that different from other routines such as Bendy Body).

Hope this helps!
Thanks Beth! I see "I" reviewed it many moons ago but can't find the dvd anywhere so I repurchased it. (so many workouts I forget sometimes ha)

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Old 08-09-20, 02:53 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Haha Denise I didn't even notice that!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-20, 03:32 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I also had this dvd years ago, haven’t done it for ages. It’s a good workout, but the method has really evolved a lot since this one was made. I do Essentrics almost every day, I teach & I do the newer DVDs and the ETV exclusive workouts.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-20, 04:26 PM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Thanks, canceled my order for it and will use more current ones.

Old 08-09-20, 04:42 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I also had this dvd years ago, haven’t done it for ages. It’s a good workout, but the method has really evolved a lot since this one was made. I do Essentrics almost every day, I teach & I do the newer DVDs and the ETV exclusive workouts.
Pam, I've been wanting to ask you - or anyone - can you explain how it has evolved? That's been mentioned a few times. Is it a matter of safety, or efficiency? I have older workouts and newer ones, and I've really been enjoying mixing everything up with the streaming service.
Old 08-09-20, 05:13 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
Pam, I've been wanting to ask you - or anyone - can you explain how it has evolved? That's been mentioned a few times. Is it a matter of safety, or efficiency? I have older workouts and newer ones, and I've really been enjoying mixing everything up with the streaming service.
I think the changes have been a slow evolution over the years to make the workouts more effective and to prevent injury. As an instructor there are a lot of common errors I see students make. More detailed cuing was, IMO, needed to prevent injuries from those errors when you can’t see your students
~more detailed cuing, especially from the newer instructors.
~slower pace with more attention to form
~more focus on fascia
~more focus on relaxing to deepen the stretch
~more variety offered in the workouts especially on ETV....still offering some faster paced toning based workouts along with gentler stretchy therapeutic workouts
~some innovative interesting choreography and lovely variations on the trademark sequences
~more modifications offered
~the introduction of the Age Reversing/Aging Backwards series, there’s even an Aging Backwards option in instructor training

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-20, 06:44 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Thank you, Pam. That was informative and concise. It also echos my own experience. I had some CS dvd's years ago. Then a few years ago I bought a bunch of Essentrics that I've been using fairly regularly. I found some of them to be tough (in a good way) and the cueing helped me "get it" more. Then I subscribed to ETV back in March and I just love the variety of workouts and instructors. I've learned from all of them, and as much as I sometimes want to work hard, I realized I'm doing more of the stretchy therapeutic ones, sometimes more than one a day.

I had plans to be in Montreal in June was so excited to attend a live class. Of course that didn't happen. Hopefully soon.
Old 08-10-20, 04:10 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

test. i am having trouble posting.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch seasons, essentrics, flexibility, flexibility for athletes