Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-20, 06:34 AM  
suzannaerin

CS/Essentrics Revisted

Several years ago, I bought one of the earlier seasons of CS and did not click with it. Quite frankly, I found Miranda very strange and I was way too aggressive when doing the workout. I got rid of the DVDs.

I decided to try them again, via the 14 day free trial streaming, and I'm very pleased with the results. Older and wiser, I'm taking it much slower and have seen a lot of increased mobility/decreased pain since I started doing the workouts. Since I have scoliosis, I have to be very careful to respect my body's limitations and I found it possible to modify the workouts successfully (so far). I tend to be type A in terms of my body, so it's not easy for me to relax my muscles. By doing these workouts, I am starting to be able to do so easier (not being at work helps with that, too. haha).

I wish there were more consistent form reminders but I expect that as I further explore the content on the site, some of this will become second-nature. I've been doing strictly the shorter stretching workouts, thus far.

While the monthly fee is a little higher than I'd prefer to pay, I'll likely stick with it, especially since it's not possible for me to get my monthly massage now.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 07:56 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Suzanne I'm glad you're enjoying and finding benefit from revisiting Essentrics. The program has helped me so much; I suffer from Hashi's and ongoing pain issues.

Not sure how old your dvds were, but the method has evolved considerably. Starting with Season 11 the workouts slowed down considerably. I still love Miranda, but the newer instructors are much better with cuuing and form pointers.

Anyway, I'd encourage anyone who the method didn't click with, to give Essentrics a try again.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 09:07 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

What really helped me was reading her books and understanding what’s happening during the workouts - how all the muscles work together no matter what part of your body you think you’re working and how important that is.

I first tried Miranda years ago and thought CS was a waste of time, too easy, just stretching. I still think Miranda is quirky and doesn’t cue well or evenly, but I appreciate how much good the workouts are doing for my body, as well as my mind. I also appreciate other CS/Essentrics instructors.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 11:47 AM  
Izzy

I know many people do not like CS for the reason you stated; the cueing, the unbalance of reps in the workouts (8 on one side and 6 on the other), Miranda's chatter etc. And maybe because I started these late in my exercise workout game, these factors never bothered me. Being a seasoned exerciser, I just went with the flow. If she did 8 on one side then I did 8 on both but if I missed a rep it wasn't a game changer for me. One of the things that helped me was I got Sarah's workouts early on. I learned a lot from them which helped me through some of Amanda's. I always felt that I benefited from these workouts and for me that outweigh any negatives. Doing these always make me feel better. There are a few episodes on DVD's and ETV that I don't care for but I just don't do them. I am glad for you that you gave them another chance.
Old 05-14-20, 02:38 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Years ago I bought an early season of CS, traded it, bought a later season, traded it, etc. I liked the idea, but just couldn't get into it. A few years ago I bought some Essentrics dvd's and not only kept them, but added to my collection. I do them several times a week and like that I can work hard, or not so hard, but still feel worked and balanced. I would like to see a couple of concentrated 15-20 minute workouts, although I know they like to keep it "full body" and I guess that would be tough to do.

I was hoping to visit their Montreal studio this summer. I think that plan is on hold for the time being
Old 05-14-20, 03:31 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
I was hoping to visit their Montreal studio this summer. I think that plan is on hold for the time being
Sadly, Essentrics is no longer the exclusive workout at the Stanley Studio. I was able to take a class at their flagship studio last summer before another fitness club was taking over the management of the space. A few instructors from the head office were offering classes there before this CoVid situation.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 04:59 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Sadly, Essentrics is no longer the exclusive workout at the Stanley Studio. I was able to take a class at their flagship studio last summer before another fitness club was taking over the management of the space. A few instructors from the head office were offering classes there before this CoVid situation.
Hopefully when we can travel again, they'll still have classes somewhere. I was going to be in Montreal for something else and I thought a live class would be a perfect addition to my trip. Someday
Old 05-14-20, 05:18 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

A very timely posting! I’m having more pain and decided to revisit Essentrics. I tried it years ago and it didn’t click with me earlier. I’m doing the streaming trial and very impressed with the content and ease of it! It’s great! I’m also changing my workouts to allocate time for this in my routine. My body is sending signals and I need to address them. I find I am feeling really good after these routines. I love the options for shorter workouts and different instructors.

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 06:33 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Now I'm thinking I might subscribe. I've been enjoying my Essentrics practice and there's always a danger of tiring of the same workouts (no matter how good they are). I like the variety I saw while browsing.

Julie - I've been experimenting with my workouts. As much as I'd like to do what I used to be capable of, my body just doesn't like that anymore. I now try to do 30-45 minutes of cardio (depending how intense) and 20-30 minutes of Essentrics. I also try to add some Qi Gong in there. It generally gets broken up during the day and as far as feeling good, it seems to be working.
Old 05-14-20, 07:23 PM  
anetta

I do a CS every morning. I tried it years ago and it didn’t click until I tried it again a few years ago.
I love the streaming. Season 13 is great.

Love all the instructors. Wish Sahara would do a new workout.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, dislike, essentrics