Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-20, 02:25 PM  
sherry7899

Louise, I donated all mine to my library for their book sales, so I do not remember names either!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 02:57 PM  
anetta

Yes, I miss the library. I have Kindle on my Ipad and phone, but I still prefer an actual book. I had books on hold and as soon as DH picked them up they were getting ready to leave so I did get a few books.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 03:38 PM  
Hattie
VF Supporter

I had 2 books and a dvd on hold when my local library closed. I have a Kindle I use for digital books from Amazon, CWMars or Overdrive.
Old 04-29-20, 04:53 PM  
Messe

I've been borrowing ebooks and audiobooks from my library. Lately I've been listening more than reading because I can listen while I'm cooking, etc.

I've also ordered some books from my local indie bookstore to support them while their doors are closed.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 05:53 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I ran out of library books fairly early. At that point, I saw the opportunity to majorly cut down on the number of books on my shelves. I'm not a collector - once I've read a book, I donate it or trade it or something. I've already read several of the books on my shelves and they seem like they are thinning out.

My dad is almost out of books at home. He gets his books at the library and is finishing the last book he had when the library closed. I dragged over my library books and some of the books on my shelves he probably hadn't read already and that I thought he might enjoy. I told him that he should be able to find SOMETHING in that pile of books.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 06:31 PM  
sillygirl

I use the LIBBY app to access ebooks and audiobooks free from our local public library. You have to enter your library card number and PIN but I find the selection much better than Kindle Unlimited. The ebooks can also be transferred/downloaded to our Kindles. It's great!

Anyone else use Libby?
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 06:41 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

I am missing the library big time! I've been working through ones of my own but they're all kind of the same. I'm craving a good legal thriller but don't have any. DH has tons of books so this morning I started one on Reconstruction after the Civil War. It's actually very interesting.

I've also ordered a couple from Amazon that have been on my list for a while.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 09:36 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I ran out of library books fairly early. At that point, I saw the opportunity to majorly cut down on the number of books on my shelves. I'm not a collector - once I've read a book, I donate it or trade it or something. I've already read several of the books on my shelves and they seem like they are thinning out.

My dad is almost out of books at home. He gets his books at the library and is finishing the last book he had when the library closed. I dragged over my library books and some of the books on my shelves he probably hadn't read already and that I thought he might enjoy. I told him that he should be able to find SOMETHING in that pile of books.

Laura, I am done with some books you may like. I will pm you a list in a few days.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 10:03 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

I am a big Kindle user, and I often use it to download books from Broward County library as well as the Southest Florida Library group. It works great for that purpose. I almost have a hard time reading print books anymore. I do have a large collection--I was originally an English major and have all the books to prove it. I have been listening to the NY Times Book Review podcast lately. It is really good. There is also one for Amazon books. That one is more oriented to bestsellers.

I was thinking we should have a book exchange, but no one wants to go to the Post Office right now.

Lori
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-20, 10:32 PM  
Sand

There are a lot of ebooks free on Kindle and other platforms. Audible is also offering a bunch of free books. My library hasn't purchased any online content during the quarantine and they have been closed since March. I use Overdrive and Libby a lot for both ebooks and audiobooks.

I'm super thrifty so I buy a lot of books at Dollar Tree. I also stock up when there are sales at bookstores and order used books online which can be hit or miss, especially when the books are from smokers homes. I'm very sensitive to the scent of cigarettes. I have quite a number of books here at home that I've yet to read. Still that doesn't stop me from missing the library!

I've always donated the books I'm unlikely to re-read to the library. I was thinking that if the quarantine lasts all summer I might offer them up to my neighbors through the next-door app.

My mom actually prefers to read ebooks. I purchased Kindle Fires for both her and my Dad a few Christmases ago and she ended up taking over my dad's Fire once she figured out that she can connect his library account to his Fire and that way she's able to read books through his account as well.
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, ebook, ebooks, reading