Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-20, 11:36 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

essentrics stretch + 5 min stretch Margaret Richard after my short ride + 5 min meditation

Buzzer - I think Oklahoma would rather risk people dying than have them shelter in place. The state has not shut down restaurants or bars, only some cities. Everything say it's a flu, thousands die of the flu and we treat that as no big deal, so this is the same. but the computer models were showing 2.2 million dead in the US with no action. The annual flu doesn't do that. Sorry, a little rant there. We have tickets to the who concert in april. They haven't canceled or postponed yet and this was already postponed once.

anyway, I teach my class via zoom starting today, wish me luck!

the sun came out so i'll be able to start riding again that will help so much.

hi ebianco !
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-20, 03:29 PM  
Buzzer

Firm Complete Aerobics and Weight training... DONE!

I like this one. I have written on it "should be volume 7!" and it is good, but I'm not sure I agree with me I think it could be like a volume because of the step ups that kill you, and the fact that it's full body. However, they called "4 limb" where they had heavy weights in your hands and did overheads with squats. They didn't alternate upper with lower body work like the volumes do, and they added in kickboxing, which I can't see being in a volume. However, it does date the workout IMO. I got burnt out on kickboxing when it was in style

I do like the full body workout, and she does have you do 3 sets of exercises for each muscle group. That is a good thing. I don't like the use of the sculpting stick for pullovers while you are laying down, so I used my 8 pound weights. I do like the sculpting stick for helping with step ups though!!

I used my 15's as heavy weight since they do lower reps in this one, 8's for lighter weights, 5's for tricep kickbacks, and 3's for the twigs. Overall, I liked the workout!

I ended up playing badminton with LB for about an hour, then about 1/2 hour of frisbee last night. So I also got over 12k steps in yesterday! Today I am cleaning and moving stuff around in my kitchen. We got the stay in place order that takes effect tomorrow, and DH has some R95 masks from his shop that he is donating to the dentist two doors down from him today and took LB with him. I am a little afraid of being locked in the house until April 17 (when the stay in place order is done) with a 7 3/4 year old, but if DH takes her to the shop or out to his office or something every now and then, it might be more doable.

Everyone is out walking, and the dogs are so excited to go outside and stay outside the whole day!! They come in once or twice for food, then run back out. We live on a triangle piece of property, with roads on 2 sides of the triangle. The dogs love to run along side the fence on those 2 sides when cars go by and also when people walk by. People are all over the place out walking, and the dogs are having a blast walking them!! Their days are so exciting right now. Usually we get about 5-7 walkers a day. Now we easily get 20-30!

The days have been a bit warmer, so I am opening the windows and letting the air in. I think once we get into a routine, it'll be easier. Right now it's daunting knowing that we CAN'T go out, whereas before if we were in the house for a few days, at least we COULD go out if we wanted. it's psychological, I'm sure.

We are keeping abreast of the changes to mandates, we are stocked up and ready to stay in the house for a few weeks if need be, I pulled out cookbooks to cook and hopefully make us not miss going out!

Eventmom: WOW. Our restaurants have been closed for probably a week and a half, two weeks now!! I'm sure it's regional, however I'm surprised with schools closed that they aren't closing restaurants and bars. I don't even know what to say! Maybe your state has less cases than ours? I know New York is handling it different than we are, but I think we aren't too far behind them. It's scary to think how fast it can travel. The few cases I have heard of the people are miserable while they are sick, but recovered. I hope that's the trend!!

All our restaurants are now take out, or they will deliver to your car and you order/pay in advance. They've even OK'ed restaurants to sell alcohol that way too. Most stores are closed, and when we went out yesterday, there was so little traffic on the road it reminded me of driving 20 years ago before Colorado boomed. It was kinda nice! I hope after this is done a lot of companies keep people working from home that can.

Ebianco: I hope you are doing well!! We miss you!!!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-20, 04:33 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

flat belly barre + fitprime dance moves + 5 min meditation but my headache got worse while I was meditating, right? that is not the point.

buzzer- OK has now asked people to not be in groups of more than 10, avoid going out. Restaurants seem to be converting to take out - but Norman (college town) seems more with it, while our small town everyone is out at walmart, there is no way to clean the handle on your cart (so I carried everything) just sort of blase. But some horse trainers are no longer teaching, only those who care for horses can be at the barn. which is really hard on them, some will go under and not even able to get a job right now. We took DD her in line skates okay so she can get some exercise. and OK is allowing take out mixed drinks as well LOL.

hi ebianco!
Old 03-27-20, 09:38 AM  
Buzzer

12 minute cardio (yesterday).. DONE!
From the Ground Up... DONE!

Ow. I decided recently to work towards making my heavy weights 15lbs each hand whenever I can. So, I vowed to do this one with 15's. I can't say it was pretty... I can't say it was easy.... but I did it. Several times, like on leg presses or the hover squats with overheads, I had to talk myself into not pyramiding down, but I pushed through, tried not to cuss, and did it!

I paused a lot, which I like that I can do that and not miss any of the class like I would at the gym. I did cheat, like on the leg presses I didn't do all of them with a bent front leg on the step, some of them I did full range and straightened my leg on the step. I also didn't do everything as gracefully as Heidi. I plopped, huffed and puffed, and plopped some more.

I was a puddle of sweat, my arms are shaky, my legs aren't sure what to think, and I guess it was a great workout! I used 5's on the tricep kickbacks, and when she dropped to very light weights and held the delt raise at the top while she stepped up on the step, I kept my arms by my sides. They just wouldn't do the isometric hold at the top the whole time.

Overall, I got a great workout!!!

Yesterday LB and her friends up the street got hooked up on the walkie talkies and were running around (them at their house, LB at our house) in the yard and playing. They were doing like a spy game, and it was hilarious! So no contact but got to play together. LB had a blast and it felt like she was there with her friends.

She also "zoom meeting"ed with a friend, which was much better than FaceTime. No cutting in and out! It was fun. We actually got school done too! Between being distracted by what is going on, running around before we go on lockdown, and just general schedule disruptions, we have done partial days last week and this week up until yesterday. We may do school through the weekend just to keep the routine now that we are back in motion.

I am loving all the new stay-at-home-schoolers though. The neighborhood is more awake. People seem like they complain less on the internet (except about politics, but that's a "whatever" to me), and there's just a general feeling of life in the area, instead of empty houses while everyone is away!! I do love it.

Today is super foggy. I can barely see the top of our yard! If the dogs don't come to us when we call, we won't find them in this fog! HA! Good thing we don't have anywhere to be! Although we have two great dogs right now. I read about how stubborn Akitas are (and we have definitely had the subborn ones!) but these two run to us whenever we come out of the house, whether we call them or not. They are the happiest dogs!

Eventmom: it is so strange to me that there are some places on total and complete lockdown, and others that are all "go to Walmart. Don't worry about disinfecting. Stop and talk to people! Go out to lunch!!" I have an app called "flight radar 24" and it shows all the flights in the air right now. I went to it this morning, and there are so many flights over the US right now that it looks like a crowded beehive! I can't believe it. Wouldn't that be 'social spreading'? I thought it would be just a few flights, not a ton of them. Some of this just doesn't make sense to me. I'd bring sanitizer with me and wipe down everything if I were in your place!

Ebianco: how are you guys holding up? New house, cleaning and repairing old one, now all this going on... are you guys in lockdown too? I hope you are doing well!!
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 03-27-20, 11:06 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

yesterday - TA beg #1 + about 20 min TA cardio
today - Janice Yoga

so I had to cut cardio short yesterday because the repairman came and fixed our dishwasher. Yep, it broke right as all this started and we've been handwashing dishes during this. today was the yoga from the set that was talked about on GD recently. I did like, she moves slowly and cues well, I could move into nearly all poses without looking at the screen. I still need to look but could be moving into the pose and just check myself.

buzzer - the walkie talkie thing is adorable! we are teaching via zoom, I'm glad we have it but it's not always great.

hi ebianco!
Old 03-30-20, 07:02 AM  
Buzzer

Cathe's Stretch Max... DONE!

I did the whole thing. I didn't necessarily like the first section where she used no equipment, but it was good. I did like the second and third sections, with the ball and then the band (I used my yoga strap). There were some good stretches in there for different angles of the abs and quads which I loved! My muscles were sore in the evening, I'm sure it's from all the stretching they aren't used to. I am still very un-bendy, so adding in the stretch was what I needed.

Yesterday was a little warmer, not warm, but warmer. LB and I went to the empty school and she rode her scooter around on the sidewalk that goes all the way around the school, and I walked. We both got extra exercise! I am glad we got Disney Plus, because we are watching movies we haven't seen before. I am irritated we got Disney Plus, because we are watching more TV. I am happy we got Disney Plus, because we are locked in the house for what looks like another month instead of two weeks. As you can see, I have mixed feelings about Disney Plus!!

Eventmom: Sorry about your dishwasher. That really stinks Hopefully appliance repairmen are considered essential services! I haven't seen what yoga was talked about recently, but I have noticed there's more people/threads on GD, I'll have to go see. Usually I just glance through and unless something really catches my eye, I just look for our check in!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 03-30-20, 01:09 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

today - 20 min TA cardio + ballet workout
rode 1 horse

Buzzer - the GD thread was Janice Lennard she has a 3 dvd set - yoga/ballet/pilates. the ballet runs 40 min includes a nice stretch at the end but NO CHAPTERS. so I like it but it would be nice to use the final stretch on its own. Yes, the repairguy was able to come and repair appliances. I'm sure that each state has it's own guidelines on 'essential' but I was glad we could get that repair done.

today it cooled off and seems like it's going to rain all day, yuk. At least I rode over the weekend.

hi ebiaco!
Old 03-31-20, 07:34 AM  
Buzzer

Firm Strength... DONE!

So I have this idea in my head to increase my weights so my heaviest weights are 15's. So far, it's half killing me but I am doing it. I used 15's in this workout for my leg presses, bicep curls (ow!), back rows... I used 8's for the final set of overhead presses seated and 5's for anterior delt raises. Oh, and I put on my heavier ankle weights (5's instead of 3's. I worked hard! I am liking this though. I like pushing myself. I told myself a year or so ago I wouldn't do heavy weights again, however here I am.

I haven't lost any weight or gained any tone with lighter weights, so I am back to trying heavier. So far, no weight lost, but I am noticing more tone in my arms and legs! That's something. Clothes all still fit the same, belly still as big as ever.

I like being in my Firm rotation during this time of quarantine. It's a nice, familiar workout, and I know the Firm will never leave me feeling annoyed. I think it's just a comfort right now.

Today we are planning on going to the post office!!! I am so excited to get out. I can't believe how much I am looking forward to the 7 minute drive there. I am trying to only go once or twice a week since everyone goes there and if it's germ infested, at least I am minimizing our exposure. I was talking to a friend in town yesterday, and she said people in her neighborhood are going to the grocery store every couple days!! I am thinking... here I am, avoiding the post office where we only have a few hundred people living here. They are going to the grocery store with thousands of people in the area. I think we are good!!

Eventmom: We had a little snow yesterday, but today and tomorrow are supposed to be about 60 degrees! Then 3" of snow on Thursday. But we will take these two nice days for sure!!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Old 03-31-20, 11:17 AM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

essentrics flexibility for athletes.

I think my hip is finally improving. It rained most of yesterday hopefully it will dry out today so I can ride tomorrow.

buzzer- snow! yikes but it was 90+ last week one day and in the 40s last night so we are sort riding the same roller coaster. I hear you on being like a dog - ride in the car! go for a walk! We are staying home other than errands - food, hay stuff like that. But as limited as we can manage. I don't get going to the store every couple of days, at least not the stores near me which are doing nothing to be safe.

hi ebianco!
Old 03-31-20, 12:12 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Hi guys,

I'm sorry I got behind again. I took the past week off from exercise because my knee was hurting more, and I was hoping the break would help, and it may have helped a little or not made much difference. I think I have a baker's cyst and that's what my problem is, even though it didn't show up on the MRI. I lost my mind the other night after we'd taken a really nice long walk with the dogs, and in the evening my knee hurt worse. I got really upset and crying because I can't seem to do really any cardio, even walking I guess. He did a lot of research for me, and the next day poked into the back of my knee with his fingers, and said he feels like my right knee (the affected knee) feels softer and squishy in the tendon where my other knee is firm. I probably do have a baker's cyst (which was the original diagnosis even though it didn't show up on sonogram or MRI) which is thanks to having the other knee problems. If that's what it is, it could take months or years to go away. After the corona virus thing has blown over, I may go the orthopedic and ask if it can be drained to alleviate my symptoms, although it will come back eventually. They don't really remove them.

Anyway, since I'm feeling a little better, I am going to try again with working out this week, scaled back. I think the extremely modified leg press and no impact cardio I attempted last week was too much. It is a shame because I had done WHFN Strong Bear (modified) and I really enjoyed it. But I'm going back to mostly mat work just so I can do something. I was on the verge of feeling better just a couple of weeks ago, so I feel like progress can be made hopefully.

So no exercise to report...

I live and Virginia and they just announced yesterday a stay at home mandate except for obtaining groceries and health care, and things of that nature. I've been trying to be really stringent the last couple of weeks to not go out at all, even the grocery store if I can. And I want to pursue draining my knee but it can definitely wait until after this virus has blown over, at least I'm not in imminent pain or urgent care need

Eventmom I saw the Janice thread and I have her ballet workout, which I really like (haven't done in a long time) but the production quality is high, she's really inspiring, and the music was really great. I was tempted to pick up the others but I guess a good side benefit of not really working out is not having much desire to go shopping for workouts.

Buzzer I always felt like CAWT with Emily really was classic feeling too, except the kickboxing. I also remember when kickboxing was part of every single video at that time. I liked it, but it really does date it now! Those are seriously heavy weights on Firm Strength, great work!