Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-14, 11:46 AM  
HRCFitness

Anyone workout with Batteling Ropes

I'm thinking about getting one of those heavy ropes that (see below). Has anyone used them consistently? What have your results been like? I used them occasionally when I worked out with a trainer at the gym a few years ago and really liked them.

Thoughts?
http://www.power-systems.com/p-4658-...e-2-black.aspx
Thanks!
HRCFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 12:11 PM  
dela

I love my rope, I just got it about a month ago, I like adding in 60 seconds or so after other circuits, for example, I'll do the Mad Methods Fitness is Function kettlebell workout and pause it after each circuit to do about a minute of ropes. I love the AOS Santa Monica with ropes workout as well, but didn't love the Ropes Gone Wild so much. I can't really say what kind of results I have from them in particular, but just in general I have noticed a big difference in my core area from combining kettlebell, mma, bodyweight, sandbag, and ropes. I don't really do much cardio since all these workouts have a cardio effect, especially when adding the ropes. They add a really fun element for me to my workouts.

I bought the covered rope from AOS when it was sale. I like it, but I feel I would have liked a regular rope just as well, but the covered rope may provide more protection to the floors. I bought a 35 foot, 1.5 inch rope. I could not have done any longer given the space I have in the basement, and I use a 55 pound kettlebell to anchor it.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 12:49 PM  
sciencelady

I've been working out with Battling Ropes for about two years - I've got their original poly rope 1.5" x 50' http://www.powerropes.com/polyropes.html. it's been holding up really well with no shredding and the caps are still intact and firmly attached - can't say the same about other ropes at the gym that were gotten from a navy supplier or an economy brand.

I use the ropes for both cardio and strength workouts.

For cardio, I do interval work between weight sets or as a finisher at the end of my workout using either single rope mode or double ropes. I love that I can really push my HR up for intensity without adding impact to my lower body. Different body positions will add emphasis to different body parts too as you're doing these exercises (standing, kneeling, side plank, etc.). I find it motivating to be able to maintain the same wave strength throughout the interval, but the rope is nice too in that as you weaken, your load automatically decreases as the waves don't travel as far - it adjusts to your abilities.

For strength work, I tie the rope to a stack of weight plates (thread through the center and tie off) piled on a mat that can slide over the floor (I use 90 to 225 lbs total weight on the mat, depending on how I'm pulling). I then pull the weight pile across the gym floor the length of the rope and push the pile back to the beginning position (facing the pile, away from the pile pulling between my legs, seated and rowing it over my shoulders, plank and pulling the pile, lying on my back and "climbing" the rope pulling the pile from overhead, etc.) - it's a literal push/pull full body workout. I also sometimes secure my rope over the top of a squat cage so it hangs from overhead and do climbing drills on it - mine's a bit too slippery for me to trust my entire body weight on it at height, but I use it to go from lying on the ground to standing position (climbing in straight body position) or just practicing hanging from it from standing floor height and doing knee tucks, straight leg lifts, straddles, etc. I do circus aerials for fun, so it's good conditioning exercises for me.

My Mad Methods just came out with a nice summary of many of the moves I described above http://www.mymadmethods.com/articles...r-conditioning.

I love my rope and coming up with new ways to use it in my workouts .
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-14, 08:55 PM  
vandons

I've got a rope from Onnit. Good for intervals. I like it but the rope work is very intense and I have not found myself using it as much as I had hoped.

https://www.onnit.com/battle-ropes/
vandons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 04:33 PM  
vandons

John Brookfield who developed the battle ropes concept has some interesting training materials.

http://powerropes.com/
vandons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 06:30 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

They're a great tool!

I have two, the nylon one I have is kept indoors, and I have a manila rope that I use in my outdoor gym. I bought both from AOS.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 06:37 PM  
horusosiris

I love using my ropes but I usually only use them outside. I purchased mine from
http://www.knotandrope.com/store/pc/home.asp
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote