Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-14, 01:33 PM  
JENILU

Yoga DVDs With Good Alignment Tips?

...It can be focused on alignment or not. I am trying to start over with yoga and not get injured- and also not aggravate any old injuries. I may not need one that is focused solely on alignment, but would like one that aleast gives good tips. I have 2 yoga blocks, and wouldn't mind using those, but really don't want to have to get a lot of other stuff. In the past, i poo-poo'ed blocks, etc, and always thought I should push myself, but am re-thinking a lot of that and trying to come at this with some humility and really get the benefits this time. I can't afford any sets or anything, but would like recommendations of DVDs I might could trade for, or find out that I actually own (that would be ideal!!)
Thankyou in advance!

(If this has been answered somewhere else, I apologize and would love a link)

ETA: I don't have the option for streaming or downloads either..

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 01:59 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

It depends a bit on what type of yoga you enjoy. Barbara Benagh uses props and offers great alignment pointers; I particularly love her Yoga for Stress Relief DVD, which offers different practices for different conditions, but it is somewhat slow-moving and not really flowing. Another favorite of mine is Rodney Yee's AM Yoga for Your Week, which is more flowing (not fast vinyasa though). I find that I get great form reminders from Rodney virtually every time. I wouldn't recommend that DVD for those brand-new to yoga though--you should at least be familiar with the basic poses.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 02:13 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
It depends a bit on what type of yoga you enjoy. Barbara Benagh uses props and offers great alignment pointers; I particularly love her Yoga for Stress Relief DVD, which offers different practices for different conditions, but it is somewhat slow-moving and not really flowing. Another favorite of mine is Rodney Yee's AM Yoga for Your Week, which is more flowing (not fast vinyasa though). I find that I get great form reminders from Rodney virtually every time. I wouldn't recommend that DVD for those brand-new to yoga though--you should at least be familiar with the basic poses.
I have and love both of those! Thankyou! (haven't done either one in a while though). I am familiar with most basic poses, I guess I just need a retresher to remind me where my shoulders should be, etc..
Oh, and I guess I should have said, I do want to kind of flow - just not so quickly that form suffers. I cannot flail around in any workout anymore- and especially don't want to in yoga.
I know I really like how Seane Corn flows, and have wondered about her older vinyasa DVDs since it shows a block in the clips.

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
Old 06-02-14, 05:24 PM  
Eibhinn

Probably your best bet are instructors who have a strong background in Iyengar who still cite it as an influence, or possibly some Anusara or Forrest yoga instructors. Especially for people who are new to yoga or returning to yoga I'd recommend (in no particular order):

Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss by Suzanne Deason (weirdly named since it's really just a basic, Iyengar yoga practice - and great for seeing different levels of modification with props)

Strength and Spirit by Ana Forrest (creator of Forrest Yoga - this is good for beginners - advanced beginners, anyway - strong but slowly paced yoga with focus on alignment) (https://www.forrestyoga.com/store/#!...607&id=6363214)

Yoga for Every Body by JJ Gormley - uses props and offers a dizzying array of practices based on lots of sequences programmed together into longer practices (some better than others - but this has got a lot of use from me over the years)

Yoga Foundations with Hilary Rubin - a nice, accessible, beginner-level Anusara practice without all of the flowery Anusara language or talking about loops and whatnot. (http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Foundatio.../dp/B001MV5KRE)

Beyond the Basics and Namaste Yoga Flow with Kate Olafson (trained in Forrest Yoga and other styles besides - slower vinyasa style)
(http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Basics-...1746714&sr=8-3)

I've only used Seane Corn's Detox Yoga so far, but it looks like the first practice on her older Vinyasa set also has really great alignment tips.

Finally, a really great alignment-focused yoga teacher who I enjoy, but who doesn't get much talk on VF because her DVDs aren't as available outside Canada, is Yasmin Fudakowska-Gow. She currently has 5 DVDs, a basic, progressive 3 DVD set, and a Vinyasa practice (Volume 1) and Restorative yoga practice (Volume 2). She has a background in both Iyengar and Astanga, but although she teaches power yoga she does it in a slow, progressive manner with a lot of alignment instruction. Her stuff is really great. I've had Volume 1 for a long time, and just got her 3 DVD set, which I'm loving so far. The new set is a bit strange in that the shots occasionally switch to images of her doing yoga wearing leotards with human anatomical drawings printed on it to help with understanding the alignment. In Canada I've seen her DVDs at HMV and Walmart for cheaper than on her website, but you can get them there as well: http://yasminyoga.com/en/shop/
I'm a fan. She's a really thoughtful teacher. I'll admit I'm not really sure what to make of her Guinness World Record in Yoga, because the sort of hardcore record-breaking, competitive impulse I imagine of World Record seekers doesn't at all jive with her patient, laid back teaching style.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 08:00 PM  
JENILU

Oh my goodness! Thankyou for all the great selections!
I am embarressed to say that I am probably one of the few that has not donw the GAIM Yoga Conditioning for Weightloss. I can probably get that one from the library! I will look up the others as well and see if I can order them through the library.
Thankyou both so much for your help!

If anyone has tried the older vinyasa ones by Seane Corn, as well as her audios I would love to hear about them. I love her newest one that just came out, and I love her detox one. Just need more basic at the moment,atleast till I figure out certain things I may be doing incorrectly.

Old 06-02-14, 08:05 PM  
JENILU

PS: I don't have a way to view the last ones you mentioned, but thankyou for the info.
The world record thing may have been a personal challenge for herself just to see if she could or something? mybe someone told her it would further her career or be good for publicity, lol. Who knows? (I haven't seen her work, so know nothing about her, those thoughts just came to mind)
Thankyou again for all the recs!!

Old 06-02-14, 08:08 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Jenilu, I think the only Seane Corn I have tried was from the Anusara yoga Grand Gathering set. I didn't really click with her, but it could have been that particular practice was too long for me (and just a filmed workshop, which I don't think always translates well to home practice).

I do really enjoy Anusara yoga though. The studio where I usually go is Anusara based (although I think they have re-labeled themselves as Anusara-inspired or something like that since the John Friend scandal), and I have taken many workshops with Anusara-trained instructors. I will note that while those with Anusara backgrounds do generally place a lot of focus on alignment and talk frequently about certain Anusara principles (I would say that "melting the heart" and "side body long" are the most frequent ones I hear), I have rarely heard an instructor outside of John Friend himself mention anything about the loops/spirals.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 09:53 AM  
JENILU

Quote:
Jenilu, I think the only Seane Corn I have tried was from the Anusara yoga Grand Gathering set. I didn't really click with her, but it could have been that particular practice was too long for me (and just a filmed workshop, which I don't think always translates well to home practice).

I do really enjoy Anusara yoga though. The studio where I usually go is Anusara based (although I think they have re-labeled themselves as Anusara-inspired or something like that since the John Friend scandal), and I have taken many workshops with Anusara-trained instructors. I will note that while those with Anusara backgrounds do generally place a lot of focus on alignment and talk frequently about certain Anusara principles (I would say that "melting the heart" and "side body long" are the most frequent ones I hear), I have rarely heard an instructor outside of John Friend himself mention anything about the loops/spirals.
Was that the "Yoga From the Heart" one? That was my intro to her as well. I got it from the library. I doubt I would ever be able to follow a practice set up like that on DVD, but I liked the way she talked, etc..

Some flowery talk works well for me and some doesn/t. I have always been able to do Rodney, for example, with my eyes closed almost the whole time because he somehow makes sense to my body (which makes the beautiful scenery almost worthless, lol). I guess what I am really needing to do is force myself to use blocks, modify, etc.. Like if options are shown with and without modifications. I always push "because I can" so I can feel accomplished, and all I do is injure myself. I know what ineed to change is mental, but feel like going back to these types of DVDs will help with that.

Thanks you guys for your help! I was able to order a couple form the library. And I am gonna do the ones I already own as well!

Old 06-03-14, 11:34 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Jenilu, I will note that while those with Anusara backgrounds do generally place a lot of focus on alignment and talk frequently about certain Anusara principles (I would say that "melting the heart" and "side body long" are the most frequent ones I hear), I have rarely heard an instructor outside of John Friend himself mention anything about the loops/spirals.
I stopped going to a local Anusara studio because of the incessant "Friendspeak", especially the loops and spirals stuff. That imagery leaves me totally cold.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 11:41 AM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
I stopped going to a local Anusara studio because of the incessant "Friendspeak", especially the loops and spirals stuff. That imagery leaves me totally cold.
I thought y'all were just talking about imagery. Apparently "friend" went on another level?

Tags
alignment, form pointers, form tips, yoga and alignment