Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-14, 10:17 AM  
rosepetals

Acessory Muscles, Tracy is right

Tracy is right, we have LOTS of accessory muscles.

Yesterday I went to see a PT for my Sacroiliac Joint. It keeps popping out becoming unstable. The PT was totally different from other PTs in his way of thinking. He quickly showed me a technique to pop the joint back in place, eliminating pain.

Then he showed me exercises to retrain the accessory muscles. He said the key to strengthening the pelvic area was to retrain the accessory muscles. He said you have to wake them up. I said like Tracy Anderson says? He scratched his head as he has never heard of her. When I told him about her he said, finally trainers are acknowledging accessory muscles.

The muscles he taught me how to use that hold that area in are within the abdominal area. Over time he said they will work to hold the hips in place. I just thought I would let you know that his whole focus of the exercises was not the large muscle group, but was the accessory muscles. His simple technique is very effective. In one visit, I learned how to decrease my pain to about nil. It is simply amazing what the accessory muscles can do. Now if I could get my hands on Tracy's post pregnancy 2 I would be thrilled.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 10:24 AM  
suegy3

That school of thought isn't new and I'm surprised that so many people laughed at TA because of it. I guess it sounds crazy if you don't understand it but don't just blast it without researching. TA may not be the best at explaining things but that doesn't mean that she's preaching junk science. I learned this over 20 years ago when I was taking OT classes. I'm glad that you found a PT that is working for you!
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 10:28 AM  
PhyllisG

I am glad you found someone that could help you. I never doubted TA in this regard. It plain makes sense. Reminds me. Time to get back to a TA rotation.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 10:31 AM  
Scorpio6

PT Exercises

Could you please describe the exercises your PT taught you about this, because I have a hip problem, weak abs, and am thinking this could help me, too. Much appreciated.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 10:50 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
That school of thought isn't new and I'm surprised that so many people laughed at TA because of it. I guess it sounds crazy if you don't understand it but don't just blast it without researching. TA may not be the best at explaining things but that doesn't mean that she's preaching junk science. I learned this over 20 years ago when I was taking OT classes. I'm glad that you found a PT that is working for you!
You're right. She's been torn apart here. It's the main reason why I don't post much on GP anymore. I can count on one hand the fitness instructors who have helped me, and TA is one of them.

Rosepetal, I'm thrilled for you.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 11:11 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
That school of thought isn't new and I'm surprised that so many people laughed at TA because of it.
Ok, I haven't read every single TA thread in existence, but my impression wasn't that people scoffed at the existence or importance of accessory muscles, but the idea that working them would pull everything in and make you smaller.

But maybe that's my own reading filters. Lots of trainers do in fact pay attention to accessory muscles (and have for a long time), they just don't necessarily talk about them in the same way.

Glad you got some pain relief!

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 11:35 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Ok, I haven't read every single TA thread in existence, but my impression wasn't that people scoffed at the existence or importance of accessory muscles, but the idea that working them would pull everything in and make you smaller.

But maybe that's my own reading filters. Lots of trainers do in fact pay attention to accessory muscles (and have for a long time), they just don't necessarily talk about them in the same way.

Glad you got some pain relief!
There have been a lot of posts where people think that she made up the term, accessory muscles.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 11:39 AM  
PhyllisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
There have been a lot of posts where people think that she made up the term, accessory muscles.
Yup I have read them also over the years.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 02:24 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Oh, ok. I guess I missed those.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-14, 02:34 PM  
rosepetals

If I could scan and post the exercises I would. The technique requires practice. Even though I thought I had it all figured out yesterday, today I feel unsure. It's hard to find those muscle and make them work together. Once you master that, you move on to moving while squeezing those muscles. It's too difficult to explain how to do it. It is kind of a hands on with someone guiding you while you learn.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessory muscles, physical therapy, tracy anderson