Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-10, 12:40 PM  
Jules

Shock Cardio Results

I'm a long-time lurker here and now that the other Shock Cardio thread is almost 40 pages long and a little off topic, I was wondering if anyone is getting good results with their new Cathe workouts? I have made it through most of them once and am really enjoying them. I don't really mind the short cool downs as I just hit pause and get some water and check on my kids. I like the shorter length of these as I find that I get my best results when I concentrate more on a split routine of weights and do short, but intense cardio 2 to 3 times per week. (I am an ecto body type). I don't have the STS weight series, so I am planning on incorporating these cardio workouts into a rotation using a mix of P90X and Cathe's Gym Style, Pure Strength, 4DSplit, Pyramids, and Slow & Heavy weight workouts.

I do have the Insanity series but am a little out of shape after the holidays and was thinking that these Shock Cardio workouts will get me ready for the Insanities, which I have not yet attempted. Any thoughts from those of you who have done both? What kind of rotations are you all doing now?

Jules
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 02:02 PM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

I do have the Insanity series but am a little out of shape after the holidays and was thinking that these Shock Cardio workouts will get me ready for the Insanities, which I have not yet attempted. Any thoughts from those of you who have done both? What kind of rotations are you all doing now?

Jules
i did all the shock cardio workouts one time before starting insanity (we had already planned to start insanity on the 3rd so i barely had time to get the SC's in by the time they were shipped/delivered).... IMO with the exception of possilby the HiiT's and maybe the circuits... these are just more cardio but in no way anywhere near the intensity of insanity!

if you try to just use the kickbox ones... you may very well lose fitness/cardio because they are low intermediate....

even the HiiT's aren't close to insanity because of the shortness of the cardio and the length of the rests....

i think that jillian's workouts would do a much better job of getting you ready for insanity....

i would think that SC would work pretty well with the 4DS weight work... replacing the crummy cardio that is included in those! you'd get a short little cardio then you could do the short weight work right after!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 02:41 PM  
Jules

Quote:
i think that jillian's workouts would do a much better job of getting you ready for insanity....
I'm sorry the new Cathe's aren't intense enough for you. They seem to be plenty intense to me, but I am just starting back on the workout wagon after a 2 month hiatus. I may feel different about them in a month or two. I haven't tried Jillian but see that a lot of her workouts are available on Netflix. Which of her workouts are you referring to, specifically? I usually try to do one interval or HIIT workout, one kickbox, and one intense step workout each week. If I do too much cardio I tend to lose muscle, so when I do start the Insanities I plan to continue lifting weights and keep cardio to 3X/week. How are you liking the Insanity workouts so far, BTW? Are you following the planned rotation? Do you anticipate burning out on them?

Jules
Old 01-15-10, 03:28 PM  
Deuce

I have been using the HIIT's and CCC recently. I really think my cardio endurance has improved. Earlier this week I did Insanity Pure Cardio and Max Interval Circuit and both felt a lot easier to me.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 03:42 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurl View Post
i would think that SC would work pretty well with the 4DS weight work... replacing the crummy cardio that is included in those! you'd get a short little cardio then you could do the short weight work right after!
That's how I had intended to use SC (but I got distracted and haven't gotten around to it yet!)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 03:52 PM  
Jules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I have been using the HIIT's and CCC recently. I really think my cardio endurance has improved. Earlier this week I did Insanity Pure Cardio and Max Interval Circuit and both felt a lot easier to me.
Hmmm, very interesting! Well I plan to stick to the Shock Cardio workouts for a few weeks before I attempt Insanity, but it sounds like the two series may complement each other nicely from what you are experiencing. I sure hope so as I am not good at sticking to just one instructor or the same workouts for months on end. It just gets too tedious for me. I like to follow a "generic" rotation where I can pick different workouts and instructors depending on my mood and energy level that day!
Old 01-15-10, 04:04 PM  
izzyp

The Shcok Cardio HIIT dvd is what true HIIT is about. All out maximum effortwork, followed by a short recovery. The ratio of work to rest is right on target to what HIIT is meant to be.

I think although Insanity has some cool moves, as well as a super cool, motivating leader Mr. T, way to ballistic in nature, to darn fast, and way to long to be called HIIT. There is no way anyone could, or should work out to that maximum effort for that long of a time frame, not possible. Cathe's HIIT is designed to do just that, all out, recover, repeat. True HIIT is short because you should be flat out spent by the time 20 minutes is up.
izzyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 04:28 PM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I'm sorry the new Cathe's aren't intense enough for you. They seem to be plenty intense to me, but I am just starting back on the workout wagon after a 2 month hiatus. I may feel different about them in a month or two. I haven't tried Jillian but see that a lot of her workouts are available on Netflix. Which of her workouts are you referring to, specifically? I usually try to do one interval or HIIT workout, one kickbox, and one intense step workout each week. If I do too much cardio I tend to lose muscle, so when I do start the Insanities I plan to continue lifting weights and keep cardio to 3X/week. How are you liking the Insanity workouts so far, BTW? Are you following the planned rotation? Do you anticipate burning out on them?

Jules
jillian's 30 day shred, boost metabolism banish fat, and the newest biggest loser last chance workouts are the ones i was referring to....

so far i'm loving insanity and yes.... we're doing the rotation as laid out... (although i'm debating on changing up recovery week if i think i'll get bored doing the same workout for 6 days in a row! so far i'm not burning out but i am only 2 weeks in... so 2 more weeks of these particular workouts then a change (i'm sure i'll be ready for that change by week 4!!!!)

last week (and tomorrow) i did/will do the bonus upper body that came with it since it's a scheduled rest day but i don't do rest days (but i will say i love having that one easy workout on wednesdays... phew! i need it!) our rotation week starts on sunday vs monday so that saturday is "rest" day....

since you are just starting..... than cathe's Hiit's and the circuits are probably a good stepping stone! and netflix is a great way to check out jillan's workouts before laying out the money!!!!
-----
- WWWendy

-----
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
Old 01-15-10, 04:29 PM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyp View Post
The Shcok Cardio HIIT dvd is what true HIIT is about. All out maximum effortwork, followed by a short recovery. The ratio of work to rest is right on target to what HIIT is meant to be.

I think although Insanity has some cool moves, as well as a super cool, motivating leader Mr. T, way to ballistic in nature, to darn fast, and way to long to be called HIIT. There is no way anyone could, or should work out to that maximum effort for that long of a time frame, not possible. Cathe's HIIT is designed to do just that, all out, recover, repeat. True HIIT is short because you should be flat out spent by the time 20 minutes is up.
i don't believe insanity is called Hiit... it's called maximum interval (or somthing along those lines)
-----
- WWWendy

-----
Old 01-15-10, 04:36 PM  
steakhousegirl

I think Shock Cardio would be a nice lead-in to Insanity. I find the intensity of Cardio Core Circuit, Circuit Blast and Hiit 40/20 very high. Also I find MMA Fusion to be rather high intensity. This is just me and I did do the complete Insanity rotation.

I also find that doing the Hiit work on a step leaves me breathless at times. I guess we are all different but some of the SC dvds are more difficult to get through than some of the Insanity dvds.

Right now I'm doing an undulating STS Rotation with the SC dvds along the lines Cathe suggested. I'm also using tubing and bands (sometimes my barbell) instead of weights. After completing Insanity I'm finding working out with weights is kind of boring to me. I never thought I would say that!!

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote