Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-20, 08:14 PM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
YMMV, but I don't believe EWG is a reputable source. There science is faulty and they get kickbacks from the brands they recommend. There are multiple articles about their unreliability.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/05/25...orly-you-11323
I encourage people to do their homework and make choices that are consistent with their beliefs and get their information from multiple sources. After reading the ASCH Mission Statement from the link above, I did some research:

http://www.truthwiki.org/The_America...ce_and_Health/

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/ameri...ce-and-health/

https://usrtk.org/our-investigations...ce-and-health/

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...s-fundraising/

Peace. No disrespect intended, but I would not be comfortable with information from ASCH. By all means I encourage you to seek product safety information from sources other than EWG if you are not comfortable with their site and research methodology.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 10:09 PM  
Leonana

Thank you for the respectful reply, I appreciate it. And thank you for the links, they were very informative.

I did find multiple articles from more than one organization, but only linked one. Other info I've learned about EWG is from scientists from podcasts and you tube. One of your links, the media bias fact check, rated ASCH High for factual reporting. Of course, every site has its biases. Also, here is their link on EWG:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/envir...ing-group-ewg/

I agree, everyone needs to do their own research. That's why I put the information out there, to provide another side. And I agree that we need to make choices consistent with our beliefs. My skin reacts badly to natural or organic products, and does much better with conventional companies that market to sensitive skin, so that forms a lot of my opinions. Thanks again for discussing it with me, I enjoy learning more about the topic.
Old 01-06-20, 12:05 PM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Thank you for the respectful reply, I appreciate it. And thank you for the links, they were very informative.

I did find multiple articles from more than one organization, but only linked one. Other info I've learned about EWG is from scientists from podcasts and you tube. One of your links, the media bias fact check, rated ASCH High for factual reporting. Of course, every site has its biases. Also, here is their link on EWG:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/envir...ing-group-ewg/

I agree, everyone needs to do their own research. That's why I put the information out there, to provide another side. And I agree that we need to make choices consistent with our beliefs. My skin reacts badly to natural or organic products, and does much better with conventional companies that market to sensitive skin, so that forms a lot of my opinions. Thanks again for discussing it with me, I enjoy learning more about the topic.
Sherry - I'm hugely averse to on-line flame-throwing, so I'm sincerely happy (and relieved, as I tried to phrase my response very carefully) you took my reply as it was intended - to be respectful of another community member who had a different opinion. I am in 100% agreement - there is much bias out there and one can never be too cautious. My skin tends to be on the sensitive end of the spectrum, so I've also reacted badly to some products over the years (including a face cream that made my neck break out in a horrible itchy "oh my gosh I'm going to claw myself to death" rash while I was on a business trip ).

And thanks for the links to those YT channels - I'll try to check some of them out when I have a chance.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 12:12 PM  
Leonana

Thanks, Cyana! I was also relieved to read your post, as I'm afraid I didn't word my first post well.

Sorry to hear about your itchy rash on a trip. That sounds horrible. My problem is fragrance, including essential oils. I'm fine with a natural product, if they leave out the essential oils or flower extracts.

ETA: I listen to a podcast called The Beauty Brains, run by two cosmetic chemists, and they have said that Marketing drives the formulation of products, not scientific research. Everything seems to be controlled by money, unfortunately. It can be really frustrating when you are looking for good and safe products.
Old 02-15-20, 10:53 AM  
lizh

Oribe hair products

Hi there,
Has anyone used Oribe hair products? They are pricey but get very positive reviews.
thanks
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 11:47 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I found another youtuber for mature women. Her name is Nikol Johnson and she herself is in her forties but she does makeup for women in their 60s, 70s and above. They are real women with gray hair and wrinkles. She does use her own makeup line most of the time but I don't think she's necessarily pushing her line. I'm not sure though because I only watched a few of the videos and it might get old after awhile but I enjoyed the few I watched. She herself isn't very warm like some youtubers but I liked the tips and makeup look she used for the mature women. It might be worth a look for anyone interested.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 01:42 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizh View Post
Hi there,
Has anyone used Oribe hair products? They are pricey but get very positive reviews.
thanks
Liz
I received a couple of samples of Oribe products from birchbox in the past- dry shampoo and a leave in treatment. Neither product wowed me and the smell wasn't great. For hair products I'm a fan of Amika. My hair has been dry so I picked up a Triple Rx hair mask and it completely repaired my hair! The've changed their packaging recently so you can find their products at marshalls/ tjmaxx with the previous packaging for much less than ordering direct. It's a good way to try their products to see if you like them.
Old 02-15-20, 01:45 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Cyana- Thanks for the Baby Bliss Pro recommendation. I have seen their dryers before and wondered about their quality. And the one at Walmart is on rollback. Nice!

Also, I'm going to have to try Native deodorant. I'll pick up a trial size the next time I'm at Target.
my dryer of about 20 years is fading. I did some research and decided on a BabyBliss Pro Nano. I bought the BabyBliss Pro Nano at Bed bath...it seems good!! check for coupons too.

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-20, 02:36 PM  
AnnieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for a hair dryer? My hair has been sooo dry lately and I couldn't figure out what was going on with it. It turns out it is my hair dryer. It is maybe 8 years old but still in working condition. However, it has been frying my hair lately (too hot?), but I never noticed it being too hot. Anyway, I have a small travel dryer that I've used the last couple of times I washed my hair and my hair was noticeably smoother and not as dry. I have thick hair so the travel dryer takes too long to use full time so I'm in need of a new regular sized hair dryer. When I look online they range from $15- $200 ! And the reviews are all over the map. Do I get ceramic or an ionic dryer? I got so frustrated looking I just gave up. Your help is much appreciated!
I have thick hair that extends just beyond my shoulders. I used to use a round brush and a hair dryer, sectioning my hair as I went. The whole process took an hour! I switched to the Revlon Pro Collection Salon One Step Dryer and it has changed my life! Now it takes 20 minutes to dry my hair so there's a lot less heat damage and it's smoother in general. I know several people who love the dyson hair dryer, but I refuse to pay $400 for a hair dryer. The Revlon version is $59 and it works perfectly.
AnnieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-20, 02:36 PM  
Gams

Has anyone here tried boomsticks?
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, beauty thread 2020, beauty vlogs