Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-20, 10:33 PM  
bfit

OT: Best cream for damaged skin?

A few weeks ago I over iced a foot injury (a broken bone with some swelling) and actually got frostbite (diagnosed by a doctor). The skin on the top of my foot and on all surfaces of my toes is still extremely sensitive. It hurts to wear shoes very long and even some socks are irritating. It stings and prickles like the worst sunburn. I've tried different lotions including ones with Vitamin E, aloe vera gel, arnica cream, and Vaseline. The only one that helps at all is Vaseline, but I think the only reason it helps is that it seals my skin off from outside contact. I talked to my doctor, and she said I just need to wait for it to heal. Does anyone have any ideas?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-20, 10:42 PM  
BunnyHop

The only topical pain relief I've ever found to be effective is from products with benzocaine, (Like Lidocaine cream).

Given your injury, though, I wonder if it would be safe. I'm reasonably sure it shouldn't be used on any sort of broken or injured skin. (All I've ever used it for is itchy skin)

Better talk to your doctor about safe ways to protect the affected areas from pressure and friction.
Old 12-01-20, 11:30 PM  
fanofladyvols

Sending you a pm but also one more product you could try is Aquaphor cream.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-20, 11:31 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Aquaphor?
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-20, 11:33 PM  
fanofladyvols

Lol adawn we must have posted at the same time

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 02:38 AM  
Negin

I love this one.
Old 12-02-20, 03:55 AM  
LAC

It's already mentioned here, but Aquaphor is what popped into my head too. I associate it with cancer patients suffering radiation burn, but maybe it would bring some relief for frostbite too.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 07:39 AM  
alisoncooks

I like Aquaphor but it has lanolin, which some people -- like my eczema kid -- are allergic to (if you have other animal allergies). We found Cerave Healing Ointment to work better (similar product). We put it on all manner of skin injuries.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 09:42 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Eucerin has several wonderful products that may help you. My dermatologist recommended Eucerin for my dry thyroid skin and I love it.

Since the Vaseline protective barrier seems to help, the Eucerin Intensive Repair Lotion might work. It's very thick, and when you put it on you can see how oily it is. My only gripe with it is that it doesn't slick on easy, you have to pat it in sections then you can rub it over larger areas as it warms. I use it in winter to prevent scaly and itchy skin. (For regular body lotion I use Eucerin Advanced Repair Lotion.)

Eucerin also has Advanced Repair Cream which glides on nice and is super moisturizing.

List of all their products

Good luck!!! Sounds awful.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 11:07 AM  
SpiritYogi

Ouch! Sorry you're experiencing so much pain.

I have very sensitive skin and only use organic products. I've been using this balm for the last year and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Honest-Compan...6924984&sr=8-7
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote