Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-16-20, 10:53 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

Karin Gurtner Art of Motion

I really like the workouts from Karin's Art of Motion as it has elements of Anatomy Trains Tom Myers.
Art of Motion
I have most of her vimeo workouts. I did not get her Yoga Journal course or other courses.
I love the references to the front/back/spiral lines but really want to understand even better as this method has really improved my core, hip flexor strength and length etc.
I noticed that there are two books by Karin. If you have either could you tell me if they explain the movements more in depth with reference to the line they are working. I also am looking at rolfing and Tom Myers Anatomy trains as I have a few of his videos.
Let me know if you have read either of her books.
Slings Essentials Manual
Anatomy Trains In Motion
Any other books that you think are helpful are appreciated.
I love her free examples on youtube.

Also... what are your favorites.
Old 07-18-20, 07:35 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I decided to try the Slings Essentials Manual. I am hoping it is an in depth explanation of the moves. It appears to have lots of photos. So... I will see when it gets here.
I'll post if it is really helpful.
Someone here... either Lanette or someone else mentioned that she really helped with segmented roll downs. I am finding that it is helping to develop strength in segments of my spine. The youtube how-to(s) showed about 7 versions of the roll down.
I could see how it would be somewhat like essentrics in that if I had a tweak-y back it might cause issues unless careful. Not really sure.
Old 07-18-20, 01:42 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

Thanks for the info! I purchased one of the videos to try! It was the volume 3 standing workout. I stream a lot on YT and there’s more content there too!

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-20, 01:57 PM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I really like volume 3. The core strength and vitality was probably the most aerobic. The nice thing is that there is not really any impact. I find them deceptive in that if I do all 3... usually there is some inner muscle quaking in a good way. When I did the plie moves I actually felt my hip flexors releasing which is unusual for me. I got a bit more length in my quads.
If you have not done her before she also has the youtube videos that give longer direction. There are also several short workouts on her channel.
Also the Anatomy Trains site has a couple of $0.00 videos : anatomyTrains

She is my current fave as I like having someone mention if I should feel something in my front/lateral/spiral/back line. It is super helpful. I find I engage my upper back but do not really feel all the regions from my feet to my occipital area.
Hope you like her.!!!
Old 07-19-20, 08:33 AM  
Twigs

Hi Kathy

I think it was me that commented on how Karin's work had helped with my segmented roll-downs.

I have all of Karin's vimeo workouts, as well as the Anatomy 201 course and am currently going through her most recent Slings Essentials Embodiment classes. I really like Karin; her instructional cues are second to none and when I do her workouts regularly, I do feel the benefits. Unfortunately, I keep getting side-tracked with other programs! There's always something new to tempt me! I bought her workout with the Flow Tonic pads a long time ago and haven't even tried it yet!

Sometimes, the work seems deceptively easy, then at other times super challenging for my body. I like her Daily Practice a lot because she offers both a basic and advanced version of the movements. Daily Practice 2 is also another favourite.

I have her Slings Essentials manual on order but don't have any of her other books. The course that goes with it is good, so I have high hopes.

Since we've been in lock down I haven't been able to see my fascia therapist, so I decided I need to try and get my pelvis back into balance myself. About a week ago I made up my mind to commit to a month (at least) of her daily workouts to see if I see any positive changes in my alignment. Already, my right shoulder, that has been bothering me lately, (from a long-ago dislocation), is feeling so much better.

I thought I was the only person doing Karin's workouts. I'm glad you're finding some benefits too. I'll be interested to hear what you think about her book.

"Practice makes progress" ~ Sandra Hanna
Twigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-20, 01:11 PM  
kathym
VF Supporter

Thanks for replying Margot. Bless you for posting about Karin as I have some pelvic alignment issues and can see improvement the more I do her workouts. The workouts are also helping shoulder alignment. I tend to have one shoulder a bit more elevated than the other.

I have pretty much acquired everything except all of slings volume 1 daily practices. I would agree these are a great way to progress with both the beginner and advanced workouts.
When you posted the youtube links I did those many times to get the feel for the movements. I did the first 4 of the Slings Essentials workouts and cannot wait to do the rest. Karin just gets better and better. I agree her instruction is second to none.

I should receive the book in the next few days and will post a review. After doing the essentials I have high hopes for the book. Also... the forward from Tom Myers was very complimentary. (Not surprising)
I got the flow tonic pad workouts and they are really good as well.
How did you like the Yoga Journal 201 course?
Old 07-19-20, 01:57 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

I did the standing workout and loved it!!

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-20, 02:25 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I have almost all of Karin's vimeo practices except Vol. 3. This thread alerted me to it -- thanks!

Visiting the site I was disappointed to see that Vol. 3 is not available for download, only streaming. Does anyone know if she might change that? It's at her discretion. I'd be interested if these were downloadable but not if they aren't.
Old 07-20-20, 10:47 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I just did Slings Essentials Fluidity, Glide, and Elasticity. I really like them as Karin uses a softer ball than what Jill Miller does so they are more approachable to me. They reminded me a bit of Jill Miller's Roll Model as far as terminology. I read that Jill and Tom Myers have been working together.
I think I will pull out my Jill Miller Roll Model book and DVD.

I wish Volume 3 and the Slings Essentials were downloads as well. So far I have not had much buffering during the week but every now and then on the weekend.

I think I will ask her if they would be available for download. As Volume 3 is a bit older maybe she would be willing to have it downloaded.

Tags
karin gurtner