Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-02-21, 08:51 AM  
cyana

Barefoot & On The Mat April 2021: Spring Has Sprung and I'm Drowning in Pollen!

Greetings and welcome to the monthly Barefoot & On The Mat check-in!

This is a long-running VF check-in. We're a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of workouts, but we have a special fondness for those traditionally done without shoes. If you enjoy yoga, pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, etc. (or even if you simply prefer doing traditional workouts without shoes!) you'll feel right at home. It's absolutely fine if you wear shoes while working out too (we won't tell ).

Please feel free to join in. We love hearing from new, returning and guest Mat Mavens. Our welcome mat is always out!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 09:06 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

TGIF! Good morning! Yesterday featured:

~ Completed Holden Qigong 03/22/21 with flows and meditation
~ LWR BRB Challenge Day 27, ten minute lower body on mat
~ 5,000 steps

I finished the BRB challenge! I commented on Lucy's workout and asked if she would please create a playlist of her floor work videos. Fingers crossed. Now that I've completed that challenge I will use more of my Belly Fits for a change.

Thanks for starting the check-in Cyana!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 09:42 AM  
cyana

TGIF - I didn't see an April thread, so hopefully I didn't create a duplicate.

I went out to my black car yesterday and despite some torrential rains this week, it looks like I need to chisel it out of the pollen and the catkins that fall from the oak trees. Yuck. Here's a good picture of catkins if you haven't had the pleasure: https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-ente...your-oak-tree/

Friday morning fly by - a mockingbird serenaded me for about 10 minutes earlier this AM, so I took that as a signal it was going to be a good day.

I had another stealth work-out yesterday (continuing to have major insomnia, so I've been oversleeping) - I combined the hair dryer work-out with the staff meeting work-out (fortunately I haven't had to use the camera for that conference call, but that may soon change ). The funny thing - I have a bit of DOMS in the legs this AM. I did stability ball crunches (not while drying my hair!!!), squats, calf raises, Essentrics hip cleaners and a variety of hip mobility moves.

Pat - You'll have to let me know if you get a response from Lucy.

Must get back to work. Will check in over the week-end. Waves to ALL.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 09:48 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

This morning I did Essentrics.

Cyana, thank you for starting our April thread!
I had not seen catkins before. I can see how that would cause allergies to act up.
I woke up at 2:30am this morning and never got back to sleep. Sometimes I hate being an old lady.

Beth, I hope your sister will be able to come see you this month.
I have never seen a blue jay in person! Blue jays are pretty.

Pam, I hope your condo sells quickly.

Hi Pat!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 11:53 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Yesterday was a city and harbour walkabout, racked up 12,000 steps. We spent a couple of hours clearing out all the cupboards in the condo, packing up dishes and pots and pans to take home for the trailer. Today the cleaners come. I did a nice stretch at bedtime while I listened to an audiobook. We had an outdoor visit with DS1 & family to celebrate our youngest granddaughter’s 5th birthday. It was so nice to see them!

Beth - Good for you for focusing on the positives! Is your sister looking at colleges for one of her kids? They sure grow up fast! I’m glad your co-worker is staying for most of the semester. He does, IMO, owe the students he’s working with some continuity in this trying time.

Pat - Congrats on finishing the challenge! I’m going to try to get a BellyFit or two in each week, need to play catch up with the zoom series.

Cyana - Thanks for starting us off! I had to do an antihistamine stop at the pharmacy yesterday after a couple of sneezing fits. The pollen is out there & one can’t be sneezing or coughing in public these days! We don’t have catkins here but there are lots of cherry blossoms floating around. I love your stealth workouts!

Paine - Sorry you didn’t sleep!

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 02:32 PM  
JustSandra

Oops, posted this in last month's thread! Cyana, thanks for starting us off for April, and Paine, thanks for steering me straight!

Hi all!

Haven't been working out consistently lately but I am getting in some long walks. The weather is warming up here, so soon it won't be feasible to go out walking except for early mornings.

Garrie: Good to hear from you! Very sorry the apartment didn't work out. Real estate is *crazy* where I am, too. My brother, niece and grandniece are crowded in my brother's 2-bedroom place, but I think they are going to just have to adapt. Doing renovation on your SO's place sounds like the best way to go.

Yogapam: Enjoy your stay in the city! Hope all goes well with your condo sale.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 02:35 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, that's for the heads up - I seriously could not figure out why Pam posted an "oops" in the last thread! Sorry for the confusion; obviously I am several days behind. I'll check in later!!!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 06:41 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

This afternoon I was able to take Beth's livestream Yin Yoga class from her yoga studio where she teaches and I loved it--thank you Beth! Beth is a wonderful Yin Yoga instructor. I am a shy, private freak but I didn't have to worry about being seen because none of the livestream students were visible on camera. I even tried to turn on my camera and that option was not available for the livestream class. That Yin yoga session felt good. It was 1 hour and 20 minutes long.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 08:44 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Aww, Paine, thank you! Yes, the livestreams at the studio are done in webinar format. You can put messages in the chat, but other than that, I only know that you are there because I can see the list of "participants." Usually you can only see the teacher on-screen, but I think you might have also been able to see some of Carol (she would have been on the right), my friend and fellow teacher (one of the ones who rotates with me on Saturdays. I'm glad she came too; she was really complimentary after.

Sandra, your long walks are your consistency! I've been still making myself get outside on at least an occasional basis. It's weird because it was so warm and nice when I went to the studio on Tuesday, but tonight it was cold...brrr!!!

Pam, yes, looking at colleges would be for her middle daughter (my oldest niece is currently a first-year at U of Virginia), but it doesn't sound like they really have a firm plan.

Pat, congrats on finishing the challenge! I'm slowly trying to work my way through an online Pilates challenge.

cyana, thanks for the new thread (even though I was slow to find it). I've definitely seen those pollen things before but had no idea what they were called. Where I grew up in NJ was on the tip of the "Pine Barrens," and we used to get yellow pine pollen covering everything in late spring.

So, work started off with a bang this Monday with the co-worker resignation and ended with a bang yesterday when my boss made a decision that set off a firestorm! It's too long to go into, but it got mostly resolved today. There are just a lot of chronic issues that have made my department pretty dysfunctional, and it's not my boss's fault because she unknowingly walked into it when she started 2 years ago. I just want to get through the rest of this semester!

On that note, Happy Friday!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-21, 11:13 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Hi everyone! It seems like a decent weekend is on tap. I went out wearing a sweatshirt hoodie and my down vest instead of a coat and scarf, and plan to visit osprey nest #11 soon.

Last night featured Jane Fonda's Walk Out level 2 walk. I had planned to start Kassandra's PM Yoga challenge but ran out of time.

I'll try to catch up tomorrow morning. Have a lovely day everyone!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gall bladder