Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-21, 11:28 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Daphne: Evidently Sam has decided to do one 60-minute rock ride a year. He’s only been there 2 years, so there are 2, both ending with a Meatloaf song. I did this year’s (4/17/21). I do plan to go back and do last year’s. I have that Bradley HIIT on the schedule for Thursday, but I might rethink it based on the music now. We’ll see how I’m feeling Thursday.

Pratima: I’ve been thinking about you and your family. Hope recovery has started.

Workouts:
Sunday: 4.5 mile Burke Lake run plus an extra-long walk after. I was pretty sluggish but still did ok.

Monday: Mobility Rx warmup and workout 1, floor lower body work, :20 Hydrow with Mac—90s throwback, and :30 Peloton with Sam—80s.

I decided I want to do a triathlon again. Why? No idea. But the sprint tri I’ve done 3 times just moved from June to August, so I think I’m going to do it. I’ll be fully vaccinated, and I’ll have all summer (in theory) in the community pool to train for the swim, unlike when it’s in June. This might be a really bad idea, but this whole turning 50 this year thing is causing me to make some questionable decisions.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-21, 01:43 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonH View Post
I decided I want to do a triathlon again. Why? No idea. But the sprint tri I’ve done 3 times just moved from June to August, so I think I’m going to do it. I’ll be fully vaccinated, and I’ll have all summer (in theory) in the community pool to train for the swim, unlike when it’s in June. This might be a really bad idea, but this whole turning 50 this year thing is causing me to make some questionable decisions.
I applaud your questionable decisions, Alison! Some of my best decisions were pretty questionable ones. (Spoiler alert: I've continued to make them and I'm eleven years past your youthful 50 years of age.) Thanks for the info on the Sam Yo ride. I'll look for the more recent one when I feel ready to take this on.

Waves to Vannie, Pratima, Cleda, Molllie (just in case she swings by occasionally)

Me - Today was day 3 of choosing easy workouts. I am trying to stick with this for a whole week. I don't think I'll last a week, because the scale is climbing rapidly and that is freaking me out.
  • 30 minute outdoor walk. Beautiful but chilly morning. No sign of Atticus the Adorable today though. Jamie would call the weather my 'rose' and the lack of Atticus my 'thorn.'
  • 30 minute Peloton "2010s" Ride with Bradley Rose. It was good. No epic motherf*ckers song this morning. Honestly, the epic em-effer song wasn't even that bad yesterday. I am contemplating downloading it just to freak out my kids by being able to sing it to them karaoke style. OTOH, these ideas of mine never work out the way I imagine, so I don't think I'll be doing that.
  • 5 minute Hydrow "feet out" row with Mike. I think this is my favorite technical drill. It forces you to sharpen your technique.
  • 5 minute Hydrow Core Pilates with Christie. Very doable. Poor thing was bundled up and I'm sure she was chilly doing her thing in Vail in the snow -- but I am loving the Colorado/Arizona/Nevada workouts. Such dramatic views

Random comments:
  • I bought a Chirp wheel to help work out back tension and stretch out my chest. I've been using it for 4 days and don't know how I ever lived without it. (My daughter also has one but her cat appropriated it as a preferred hoteling spot that is second only to the empty Trader Joe's bag Jamie keeps in the corner.)
  • Since Feb. 14th I have done 36 cycling workouts. And not once, not a single time, has my butt or my crotch been sore. This is pretty remarkable since, in the past, I've always been uncomfortable in the saddle after the first 10 minutes. This is amazing. My theory is the total lack of soreness is because my core and glutes were already strong from rowing. That's the only major change I can pinpoint. Whatever the reason, I am grateful!
  • I got my first COVID vaccine shot today! WOOT! Next shot scheduled for May 11. I feel like I just got a tiny dose of magic in my arm. I went to a mega vaccination site and it was packed. Easily 1,000+ people there while I was there.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-21, 12:13 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I'm here. Everyone in my house is pretty much recovered. Except oh yeah right, me. I've lost my sense of taste and smell and with it my appetite. Feeling a little fatigued and have this weird sinus pressure so I sound stuffy even though I don't necessarily feel stuffy.

So I'm basically sitting here feeling sorry for myself. I did return to work last week but was pretty out of it the first half of the week. I had DD retested Thursday and she was positive, so she can't go back until Monday.

I guess I misunderstood the nurse--it's 10 days from a positive test OR 10 days after the last exposure to someone else who's positive. If I'd had her retested right away she could have gone back earlier. In retrospect I was really out of it and shouldn't have been the one talking to the nurse.

I got my second shot today and am now a little concerned about side effects. I guess it can't be any worse than the actual illness, right?

On the positive side, while DD missed the state gymnastics meet, her coach petitioned so she can go to regionals. I'm going with her to Reno the weekend of 4/30. Only a couple of her friends are going and they all compete at different times, but we should be able to see at least one of them.

Also, we're putting in a pool (can't remember if I mentioned that before) and construction is progressing pretty quickly. They said it'd be ready by June and may be ready earlier than that.

I did work out a little this week--sticking with 15-30 minute iFit cycle and strength workouts. The cycle ones absolutely wear me out. Plus it's tough getting up early. I am hoping to hike Saturday but right now an hour of that sound exhausting.

Sorry to totally drag the check-in down. I wanted to at least let everyone know how I'm doing! Hopefully next week will be better.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-21, 12:33 AM  
Vantreesta

Tue 4/13 49 minutes
12 minutes (from Kassandra Morning Yoga Movement day 7 Morning Yoga for Anxiety & Stress, YT) TUE
37 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.23 mi) I hate to admit I'm tired of the cold and wind

Wed 4/14 42 minutes
42 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.97 mi)

Thu 4/15 44 minutes HELP FRIEND MOVE
44 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.84 mi)

Fri 4/16 169 minutes
13 minutes (from C. Jordan Exercises to Help High Hamstring Tendonitis Pain, YT) FRI
9 minutes (from H. Clare Best Exercises for Piriformis Syndrome, YT) FRI
32 minutes (from 2.81 mi for 10k trainer wk6 day3/Zombies Run S3M33) MON
8 minutes (from H. Clare Quick Post-run Yoga Routine, YT) FRI
29 minutes (from Fightmaster Yoga: Yoga for Beginners 30-day Challenge at Home day 26, YT) MON 1st time
23 minutes (from Classical Stretch S11E19 Feet & Calf Workout, TV) 1st time
55 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.87 mi)

Sat 4/17 10 minutes MOVING/ORGANIZING PARTY!!
10 minutes (from 1 dog walks .68 mi)

Sun 4/18 38 minutes
38 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.88 mi)

Mon 4/19 68 minutes
10 minutes (from Kassandra Morning Yoga Movement day 8 Full Body Stretch Wake Up Yoga, YT) MON
58 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.93 mi)

Tue 4/20 173 minutes
13 minutes (from Kassandra Morning Yoga Movement day 9 Best Morning Yoga Practice, YT) TUE
11 minutes (from M. Kenway Walking Stretches That Relieve Muscle Soreness After Walking & Hiking, YT) 1st time
15 minutes (from C. Jordan 15-Minute Glute Activation Workout, YT) TUE
17 minutes (from L. Brooks Shut Up and Train workout 6) MON
4 minutes (from L. Brooks Push, Pull, Swing Challenge wk1 day1) MON
20 minutes (from S. McMahon WWE Fit Series-Upper Body + Flexibility) TUE 1st time
93 minutes (from 3 dog walks 5.81 mi)

Wed 4/21 142 minutes
11 minutes (from Kassandra Morning Yoga Movement day 10 Morning Yoga for Neck & Upper Back Relief, YT) WED
12 minutes (from C. Jordan Part 2 Fix Hamstring Tendonitis Pain, YT) 1st time THU
29 minutes (from 7.13 mi on bike trainer/Ambient Through the Rainforest -Asian Forest Lane/Zombies Run S3M34) THU WOOHOO!!!
20 minutes (from J. Miller Post-Athletic Stretches -cycling)
70 minutes (from 3 dog walks 4.75 mi)

I'm 99% sure I'm just deleting the remaining 66 episodes of Classical Stretch on the DVR. I just feel so crabby every time I try them. I am not a fan of Miranda and disagree with a fair amount of what she says. Not sure why I like Essentrics and not Classical Stretch but there you have it. I know some people swear by it but there are too many workouts I enjoy to keep wasting my time (and DVR space!) on smthg I can't get into.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-21, 12:23 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
I'm here. Everyone in my house is pretty much recovered. Except oh yeah right, me. I've lost my sense of taste and smell and with it my appetite. Feeling a little fatigued and have this weird sinus pressure so I sound stuffy even though I don't necessarily feel stuffy.
Ugh. I hope those after-effects clear up for you. And I hope you don't have any after-effects from shot #2.

Vannie - That's a long bike ride! Woot!

Me - Shocker: I have almost achieved my goal of one full week of easy/recovery workouts. Today is day 5 of easy.

I did Hydrow's 30 minute Earth Day workout. (Badge alert!) This was a new format for them and very entertaining: each athlete led a segment from a different location. Locations were Miami, New Orleans, Colorado, Nevada and Arizona. It flew by. The two beginning segments were a warm-up mobility routine followed by a Pilates warmup. Then over to the rower. Each of the nine rowing athletes did a 1 minute interval and a recovery. The best part was at the end, about 3 minutes of yoga somewhere in Colorado covered in snow with hot springs, a footbridge, a winding path and steam coming off the water. I would do the entire workout all over again just to see that final segment, it was that beautiful.

Onward and upward, life is good.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 04-22-21, 10:19 PM  
Vantreesta

Thu 4/22 161 minutes
12 minutes (from Kassandra Morning Yoga Movement day 11 Morning Yoga to Energize Your Day, YT) THU
13 minutes (from C. Jordan Exercises to Help High Hamstring Tendonitis Pain, YT) WED
9 minutes (from H. Clare Best Exercises for Piriformis Syndrome, YT) WED
35 minutes (from 3.02 mi for 10k trainer wk7 day1/Zombies Run S3M35) WED
8 minutes (from H. Clare Quick Post-run Yoga Routine, YT) WED
84 minutes (from 3 dog walks 5.61 mi)

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 04-24-21, 08:43 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Hi All,
Daphne: Which size chirp wheel did you get? Megan and I definitely are interested in it. They have a deal with all 3 for $99 right now, but I don’t know that we need all 3.

Pratima: Glad to hear they’re letting DD do regionals! I hope you’re starting to feel better too.

Me: It’s been a stressful week, and for the first time in a while, I didn’t get to all my workouts, and I fell off the good food wagon. We had not one but two COVID scares with HS soccer, which dragged out tryouts for 2 weeks. And there’s a bunch of other stuff going on with work and family too. And it seems something’s wrong with the cat, so we’re going to the vet on Monday. It’s all adding up to too much.

So that’s me. Hopefully today will be a good day for all of us!
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-21, 01:12 PM  
Daphne M

Alison - I have the largest size of the wheel and it works great for me. My back gets pretty tight and it rolls out the tension fast! The $99 is a good deal. If you spring for it, I'll be interested in how well you think the smaller sizes work. If you just get one, I think you'll like the biggest one a lot.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 04-24-21, 01:15 PM  
Daphne M

PS, your week was a tough one. I hope everything works out. I made bad food choices all week too. At least I got it out of my system. (If I keep saying that, I will make it true.)
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 04-25-21, 11:14 PM  
Vantreesta

We spent the wknd at my father-in-law's. I was a complete bum as usual but didn't even crochet this time. I was trying to set up a May workout schedule, which is difficult when you want to do it all and do it now!

Pratima, hope you're feeling better now along with your family!

Alison, I hope this week is better for you.

Daphne, I have been so tempted by the Chirp wheel. I have a different one in my Amazon cart waiting for me to decide. I'm glad to hear how much the Chirp is helping you. Decisions...

Tags
endurance