Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-09, 09:44 AM  
Ctfitnut
VF Supporter

Red, I cannot stand using dumbbells under my hands - i feels so much worse and harder for some reason? I don't like the on the fists modification either. I do have the perfect pushup and I kind of like those handles - got them cheap if I recall.

Sheila
Old 09-30-09, 10:20 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctfitnut View Post
Red, I cannot stand using dumbbells under my hands - i feels so much worse and harder for some reason? I don't like the on the fists modification either. I do have the perfect pushup and I kind of like those handles - got them cheap if I recall.

Sheila

Yup, that's what I have too. The height and everything is great, the handles are even fairly comfortable, but don't yours swivel? That movement really REALLY gets those stabilizers, but I don't need the added difficulty level right now!

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 10:35 AM  
Ctfitnut
VF Supporter

Yes they swivel but to be honest I just do all the other versions - I really should get to the "perfect ones" though LOL!

Sheila
Old 09-30-09, 12:14 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

I've used my hex dumbells, cast iron, to aid in push-ups; and yes, they are uncomfortable for the hands...my wrists hate the stress of the push-ups, too. I have to keep my hands wide. And concentrating on my back seems to distract me. I've seen those perfect push-up things at Walmart...maybe I'll take another look at them...hope they're cheap!!!
Old 09-30-09, 01:26 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcjasp View Post
I've used my hex dumbells, cast iron, to aid in push-ups; and yes, they are uncomfortable for the hands...my wrists hate the stress of the push-ups, too. I have to keep my hands wide. And concentrating on my back seems to distract me. I've seen those perfect push-up things at Walmart...maybe I'll take another look at them...hope they're cheap!!!
If I recall they didn't cost much, but be prepared that you solve one problem and create another, LOL! The hands/wrists feel better but you have to fight a bit to keep your hands from rotating around which really ups the toughness of these things.

Old 09-30-09, 04:00 PM  
Terry

I prefer doing pushups with ankle weights folded over once under my palms, fingertips still touching the floor. This method is perfect for my hands and wrists.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 04:07 PM  
Mulberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcjasp View Post
I've seen those perfect push-up things at Walmart...maybe I'll take another look at them...hope they're cheap!!!
Big Lots sometimes has them on sale for $10. I haven't seen what their regular price is for them. They sure make push-ups more doable for me!
Mulberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 04:09 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I prefer doing pushups with ankle weights folded over once under my palms, fingertips still touching the floor. This method is perfect for my hands and wrists.
That's interesting, Terry. So your hands are at a 75 to 80 degree angle to your wrist, as opposed to 90 degrees. Is that what makes it more comfortable for you?

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 04:26 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Red, I've wondered about the swivel on these things. That's one of the reasons I was never before interested in them.

Now Terry has an interesting idea...using folded ankle weights...that might work well for me. Relieves the stress on my wrists, easier on the hands and no swivel I'll give it a try and report back. If I remember to
Old 09-30-09, 05:09 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
This is similar to what I have ended up doing on occasion, which is use my yoga block with my fingers over the side. Oddly, even though my wrist is STILL at the same angle, my fingers being able to bend instead of shooting out straight seems to alleviate some of the discomfort. I am DEFINITELY going to try this!

Tags
chin ups, chinups, pull-ups, push-ups