Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-20, 01:54 PM  
D72

The original Yoga Zones with Alan Finger from the late 90s. I remember these were *so* popular here when they first came out. They are truly timeless...save for Alan's suggestion of using a 'Yellow Pages Phonebook' as an optional prop .

I still *always* feel as if I've had a full body massage at a spa when I'm in corpse pose at the end. Alan's voice and demeanor are also so relaxing and calming. We all need that right now .

They've been OOP on DVD for too long but a very kind person recently (finally!) put the first four classics online. I personally think that the first two are the absolute best but they're really all amazing. The meditations are also just fantastic and long time favorites. I wish I could have started yoga with these! They are, in my opinion, some of the best yoga programs ever created for home use.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Introduction to Yoga:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_asWl-cqiLg

Conditioning and Stress Release:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Exzqrng5IIg&t=267s

Flexibility and Tone:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lhL1Jv11ipE

Yoga and Meditation 1:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_9v6DMaBqlk

Yoga and Meditation 2 (Chakra meditation):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0nIJsrY-2Uo
D72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 11:57 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Love Yoga Zone! The only DVD I have is the Power Yoga one (which I still use often after ~20 years of doing yoga) but I recall the other titles being really good for beginners/intermediates. Yoga hasn't changed that much in the last two decades
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 07:03 AM  
Rhonda

Why did I open this thread. I just went and bought all four Yoga Zone DVDs (used) from Amazon.

I didn't get the power zone one but maybe I need to go back and find it.

They are great practices and I loved when Yoga Zone was on TV. I used to record the show and do the practices.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 08:06 AM  
D72

Tiffany—That’s great and I totally agree! They were/are perfect for all levels regardless and yes...yoga really hasn’t changed so they don’t date! Oh gosh I totally remember the Power Yoga one with Lisa Bennett! That was one was really good and also super challenging—at least it was for me and I was very into power yoga in general when it came out. Awkward Chair pose! They did an incredible job with that one too. I think a lot of people (like me) were initially surprised at how challenging it was. It was definitely a total body workout.

Rhonda—! Enjoy! That’s so nice. And yes re: Power Yoga per above! I loved the TV show too. I miss it.
Old 04-22-20, 09:00 AM  
sherry7899

I love Yoga Zone. I need to do those again, especially the ones that combine yoga with meditation. Thank you for the reminder.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 09:22 AM  
D72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I love Yoga Zone. I need to do those again, especially the ones that combine yoga with meditation. Thank you for the reminder.

Sherry
You’re so welcome Sherry. This is such an intense time (there’s an understatement) and it all helps, right? I’m so grateful for home workouts as I know we all are.

I just remembered one additional restorative program that Alan led but it’s not online and I can’t seem to find a clip. It’s called Flexibilty and Stress Release and it was filmed in a beautiful outdoor setting in Jamaica—where they shot the TV show I believe. It’s sort of like the originals but with more flow. But it’s accessible flow . Lovely meditation/savasana at the end too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000...rb_top?ie=UTF8
Old 04-22-20, 09:24 AM  
sherry7899

I have Alan Finger's meditation cd. I need to use that again also.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-20, 09:49 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

My favorite calming DVDs are:

Rodney Yee original AM Yoga
Rodney Yee's Complete Yoga for Beginners
Rodney Yee's Yoga for Energy & Stress Relief
Barbara Benagh Yoga for Stress Relief
Ashley Turner Yoga for Stress Relief & Flexibility

My favorite restorative (props, long holds) yoga DVDs are:

Skylar Meyers Restorative Bliss Yoga
Deborah Donahue Restorative Yoga Practice
Patricia Walden PM Yoga (on the same disc with Rodney Yee's AM Yoga)
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-20, 12:33 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I gotta say the Yoga Zone Power Yoga for Strength & Endurance DVD still challenges me even though I've been practicing for ~20 years and do lots of vinyasa routines that run in the 60-90 minute range at least twice per week (Elena Brower, Deb Dobbins, Eoin Finn, Baron Baptiste, Rodney Yee, Yoga Download audio practices, Yogaworks streaming site thanks to my employer paying for it, DoYogaWithMe on YouTube, etc.) The TIFTing on one leg before moving to the other, combined with balancing postures right after that is totally a leg and bun burner! If I get through the 55 mins without tumbling or groaning, I know it's a good day
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-20, 10:37 AM  
momofcha

Thank you all for the recs here. I’m feeling tight and stressed lately and did yoga 30-30 restore and I’m looking for more.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 day fit yoga, alan finger, favorite yoga, gentle yoga, rainbeau mars, restorative yoga, rod stryker, stretching, yoga, yoga zone