Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-19, 06:10 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Changing my mind about a workout. . . . 24 hours later

Yesterday I did a Jessica Smith that I have never done before. I've had Boost Metabolism and Muscle for a long time, and I've done the upper and lower body workouts, but I've never done the total body.

It was miserable! I know some people think Jessica is more intermediate, but I struggle with workouts where the goal is to keep your heart rate maximized while doing strength. This ol' gray mare just ain't what she used to be, I have heart issues that definitely impact my ability to work out. I just can't have my HR in the stratosphere. Heart rate has always limited my strength workouts, of course; I just didn't know WHY until more recent years when my heart issues were diagnosed.

I have just about decided that Jessica and I aren't meant to be. I love her, absolutely. But her workouts are invariably all about keeping your heart rate high while doing strength and that's just not a modality that works for me. By the end of the total body workout, I was just MAD and frustrated and thought "that's it. Jessica and I aren't meant to be. I am getting rid of this."

Then this morning. . . THE GLOW IN MY GLUTES OH MY!!!

I am DOMSing like a mad dog over here. Right where I wanna be DOMSing! And I love that.

So now I'm thinking how I can rework this workout to fit my limitations. I don't want to DIE during a workout for the sake of sore glutes. . . (seriously, that's not outside the realm of possibility!) --however, I think if I paused the workout after every group of two exercises, I think I could keep my HR under control ENOUGH and still get a bangin' workout.

Just because my butt is sore. Funny what a little DOMS'll do for ya. It may have just saved my relationship with Jessica.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 06:18 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Too funny! I can't get into Jessica for some reason, but I'm glad you are loving your DOMS. I have to say, I love DOMS, too. I know they are not he be-all, end-all, but it's just nice for me to feel it a little the next day. Not can't-get-up-off-the-toilet sore, but just nice spicy DOMS. Love that!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 06:34 PM  
bubbles76

Susan, I'm with you on Jessica. People say she's intermediate, but with the right poundage my heart rate is up there and I'm sweating up a storm! I pause her workouts that make me gasp, and I don't feel bad about it .

Boost Metabolism and Muscle slays me every time. I did the upper and lower body this week. Hopefully, I will get the chance to Total Body workout before I go out of town tomorrow.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-19, 05:11 AM  
donnamp

Susan - I think you could definitely do that! Take breaks, modify, etc.

I think that is a smart choice!! You can still enjoy Jessica and DOMS without killing yourself (literally or figuratively).

I always enjoy reading your posts.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-19, 08:23 AM  
marki64

some of her workouts I like, some I don't. I think you can make her workouts what you want. I find I can easily take her intermediate to advanced.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-19, 08:33 AM  
dianestjohn

I always begin a 30 minute Jessica workout thinking, oh, I’ll just do this one and then I’ll do another, and when the 30 minutes is up I am usually DONE and sometimes a sweaty mess. I’ve done many Jessicas and yet this pattern persists. It’s to her credit that her workouts sneak up on you like that.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-19, 09:58 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Thanks for the laugh, Susan!

I have this DVD but I don't think I've ever done the Total Body Focus workout. Now, I'll have to pull it out and try it! It's been a while since I've had serious DOMs.
Old 06-24-19, 02:45 PM  
wendug

Yes, it is nice to feels DOMS (but not overboard sore!). I always feel this KCM RAW workout the next day in my upper body, especially the triceps, but I love it! -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ3HlI7nF60&t=58s
Old 06-24-19, 03:26 PM  
videofit

Try The Crutch Workout. Gets your heart rate up from constantly lifting your entire body as well as the adrenalin rush of wondering if you will make it to the toilet without falling. Works triceps, one quad and glute to failure. You will lose weight without trying!

Susan, you're a nurse. May I pick your brain?

I've never broken a bone so not sure if my ankle is healing normally after 6 days. I expect foot and ankle (left tibia, clean, short break not all the way through, no cast) to be swollen, bruised and painful but so is my calf (very tender but not bruised outer portion below knee that seems to click every so often). Doc felt all around that area last week and it seemed fine. I've fallen a couple of times on that side since then.

Heavy boot I use when walking, only putting toe down lightly for balance.

Generally, how long before most swelling goes down? How long does it take bones to heal? I'm housebound for three more weeks till next doc appt for xrays.:
Old 06-24-19, 03:31 PM  
pgun3

just wanted to say that I loved your post. LOL made me laugh
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith