Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-18, 06:54 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

I'm 59. I had the old vaccine a few years ago and my first shot of the new one this year. I just got back from a long road trip and need to schedule my second shot. I had chicken pox too back in the day! (as did 4 of my 5 children pre-vaccine).
Old 07-14-18, 11:23 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Things have been so nuts this summer, I have't even had time to check out the supply at our local Costco.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-18, 11:12 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

My mom recently went on the waiting list at our local Sam's Club pharmacy. The waiting list there is currently at 100+ people apparently.

My mom knows a woman from bridge who's been suffering with shingles for 2 years now. Sounds miserable.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-18, 07:52 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I am not understanding why some people are finding a shortage in the vaccine. I walked into my local Rite Aid pharmacy for both shots, and both times was able to get one immediately. Is the shortage localized to different areas maybe?
Old 09-08-18, 10:07 PM  
gmfreund
VF Supporter

I got my second Shingrix vaccine on Tuesday - ugh, threw me for an absolute loop. Localized swelling, fever, had to stay in bed for a day. Now, I've had shingles (long ago) and I realize it's a small trade-off, but I wish my doctor's office had given me head's up on the side effects. I should have taken the day(s) off, but I didn't know.

I didn't have any trouble getting the two shots from my MD's office (I have a PPO), but a friend is having all sorts of trouble getting her's approved.

Gwynn
gmfreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-18, 11:30 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmfreund View Post
I got my second Shingrix vaccine on Tuesday - ugh, threw me for an absolute loop. Localized swelling, fever, had to stay in bed for a day. Now, I've had shingles (long ago) and I realize it's a small trade-off, but I wish my doctor's office had given me head's up on the side effects. I should have taken the day(s) off, but I didn't know...
Gwynn, I'm sorry you had uncomfortable side effects. I don't count on doctors for medical info much anymore. At least where I live, MDs are too over-booked and busy to give proper care to patients. I check online when I'm given a prescription. I haven't had the Shingrix shot yet, but plan to later this year. I'll find a time when I have a few days to get over any potential ill effects.

I had checked out the CDC site for info about side effects and they say that many folks have moderate to severe side effects from the Shingrix shot. There is even a link on the page to report the effects if you want to:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...rix/index.html

I've had moderate side effects from the seasonal flu shot. If I get the one without preservatives (Thiomersal mercury), I don't get side effects.The shingles vaccine does not contain thimerosal.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 06:16 PM  
DCW

Yes, I have the prescription but the shortage prevents me from getting it.

Almost 30 years ago a coworker got shingles and he was out of work for a few weeks. I never heard of anyone getting it until recently. His serious bout made such an impression on me that I made sure to get the prescription.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 09:38 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

My mom did eventually get the Shingrix shot a few weeks ago. So she didn't have to wait too long even though the Sam's Club waiting list was long. They eventually called her and told her it was her turn.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 11:24 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

I (unfortunately) work in a big-box retailer with a pharmacy. Today I asked one of our pharmacists about the shortage. She said yes, the supply is limited and our organization is rationing the supply. Our store has it right now, but we don't always. Maybe some of you are just at the right place at the right time.

I have a big event this weekend, but I'm going to seriously consider getting the first shot next week if we still have it. I'm 58.
______
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-18, 05:36 AM  
Erica H.

We can't get it here. I've tried for over a month. My pharmacy gets six doses in every few weeks. They have no waiting list so I was told to call every day. Once I called and was told they hadn't come in and I called the next day and they said six came in the day before (must have been after I called) and they were gone immediately. I was told not to call for a few more weeks and then they will randomly get six more.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto-immune disorder, shingles, shingrix, vaccines, zostavax