Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-19, 03:05 PM  
sherry7899

mood and energy levels on rest days

I do cardio (about an hour of dance or kickboxing) and yoga (about anywhere from 15-30 minutes) five days a week. I know I need strength training and hope to add that back in after the new year.

Anyway, I have to take rest days because if I don't, chronic injuries flare up.

However, I have noticed that my mood and energy levels are definitely much better on days when I exercise. I am an early morning exerciser, and that kickstarts me for the day.

On rest days I have less energy and I am a bit more cranky This could just be coinciding with the lousy weather and gray skies here.

I don't want to rely on caffeine for energy. Does anyone else have ideas for elevating your mood/energy on rest days (or any day, for that matter!) I guess I could do a short qi gong or tai chi practice and meditation on rest days and see if that helps.

I wish I was someone who enjoyed taking walks, but I just don't. Our neighborhood is very boring for walking, and I hate the cold.

I would love input from anyone who has time to respond.

Thank you !
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-19, 03:32 PM  
donnamp

I understand what you are saying Sherry! I feel better when I do something every day. Maybe, as you suggested, take a "light" day - on the days you would normally have rested - a restorative yoga or other type of practice that isn't too physically taxing.

I can't remember - do you have an exercise bike? You could do a 15 min ride to boost your energy - and it would be a different form of exercise than your usual.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-19, 03:35 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Donna! I do have a recumbent bike. Unfortunately my knees hurt the last time I used it, even without resistance. That is strange, since my knees are fine with an hour of dance cardio! Maybe I will start with just five minutes to get used to it again

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-19, 03:36 PM  
laurajhawk

A light day was my immediate thought, too. Gentle or restorative yoga, a stretching video, or even a short walking workout. Just enough to warm you up and get some oxygen in your lungs. In fact, doing just the warmup from a favorite cardio DVD could also work!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-19, 03:51 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I love a gentle yoga practice on rest days, very often something reclined or seated.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-19, 04:02 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I find yin yoga or mobility stretching good fill ins. Or add in 15 minute meditation

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-19, 08:03 PM  
bjones

I have that same problem. I can only do 5 days a week or I get injured I've tried doing gentle yoga/stretching but it doesn't elevate my mood or improve my energy. The only thing that helps, and doesn't injure me, is an outdoor walk. I know you don't want to do it, but there is science behind the whole thing of just getting outside and moving around that really raises your seratonin levels.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-19, 09:37 PM  
prettyinpink

Something light on a rest day, or do less on a couple of other days and spread things out more.

Our bodies do need recovery. I do think it’s okay to have less energy on a day off and to actually, REST.

The mood is another thing. I agree with time outside. If you don’t like to walk, maybe just sit outside in the sunshine for a few minutes. It’s hard this time of year when there is so much less of that.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-19, 11:57 PM  
fanofladyvols

I bet the season has something to do with how you feel.

I like to just do a short bit of the warmup of a video that has an outdoor scenery. I have this special section of feel good DVDs for those days.

Sometimes I just stretch around on my stability ball while I listen to music.

And I totally understand what you're saying...for me it feels like the engine never turned over and I'm just running on blahs

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-19, 06:31 AM  
Dontmindthemess

How about stringing a few warm ups together? That way you’re getting some activity in but you won’t overdo it. I think the outdoor walk is best idea for that mental boost, it really feels good to be outside, but I hate going out in the cold too. There’s a few Barlates on YouTube that are just a warm up and stretch that could work. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...y8eH6RF1ARrdNO
At least the days will be getting longer very soon

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mood, rest days