Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-02, 10:24 PM  
fitafrica

Question kickboxing "for dummies"?

I consider myself an intermediate/advanced exerciser. I do primarily step (Kari Anderson, Karen Voight, etc.) and strength (The old Firm). I'm interested in kickboxing but frankly, am intimidated. Mostly, I'm afraid of getting hurt because of bad form or doing a move too fast. Is there a tape equivalent to a "kickboxing for dummies" that I could use to introduce myself to this exercise form?

I have seen Kathy Smith's tape but didn't like it. In fact, it left me wondering if kickboxing is for me. Any advice?
Old 08-31-02, 11:25 PM  
DebP.
VF Supporter

Kickboxing for newbies

i would recommend Kathy Smith's kickboxing tape/DVD. She is joined by Keli Roberts and Keith Cooke. I think it's a good, challenging workout with well broken down instruction. The DVD is particularly good because it offers two full workouts plus some other goodies. Also, cathe's cardio kicks might be fun. I like them both but feel I have gotten more real kickboxing out of Kathy Smith's video, but certainly solid, hard-core cardio from Cathe.

Perhaps if you went to Collage & Cathe.com and previewed the tapes, you could decide which would be best for you.

Deb
DebP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-02, 11:25 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

One of the best kickboxing instructional tapes I've ever seen is the G.I. Jabb instructional tape by Katalin Zamiar. I'm not that fond of her workout tapes because she tends not to stay on the beat of the music and that bugs me, but it might not bug someone else. The instructional tape is really good though. I know Collage has the whole set, but I don't know if you can buy them separately elsewhere. I know CKSales sells her other videos separately, maybe they have the instructional tape too, but it's just not listed on the web site. I live in the USA, but I've ordered from them and got great service (plus the great exchange rate from Canadian to US $). CKSales seems to have a really good selection of kickboxing tapes on their web site.

The Powerstrike videos also demonstrate excellent form, have great music and choreography and take up very little space. They always stay on the beat of the music and do an excellent job of making the moves fit the music. Everyone int he class looks like they're working hard and having fun.

I've heard Todd Gheisar's Team Workout videso have good instruction too, but I haven't actually seen them.

I didn't like Kathy Smith's video either. I'd recommend trying other videos before you give up on kickboxing entirely.
Old 09-01-02, 05:42 AM  
horsemom2

Thumbs up TaeBo

I started workingout with TaeBo over 3 years ago and am still enjoying it. Since then I tried every other kind of kickboxing workout and none of them ever really clicked for me. QVC is selling the Live 4 pack at a steal and it comes with an excellent instructional video.

Barb S
who started TaeBo totally out of shape at the age of 50 and avoided injury with it
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-02, 06:44 AM  
Maryan, Paris
VF Supporter

I don't like KS kickboxing either

I like Tae Bo, but the moves are too fast. I also agree that GI Jabb videos are the best for kickboxing beginners, but it also drives me crazy that she cannot stay in rhythm with the music. The Powerstrikes are more advanced but their quality is great in every way. I also like Aaron Lankford's video very much.
Maryan, Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-02, 07:25 AM  
Hattie
VF Supporter

TaeBo book

My local library has the book, 'The TaeBo Way". It is informative and has many pictorial illustrations. I like both Aaron's Power Kicks and Kathy's Kickboxing videos. I have Katalin's GI Jabb Warrior Workout, but I don't get inspired to use it much.
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-02, 08:57 AM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

I started w/Kathy & Tae-Bo, but the kicking was just too fast for a beginner like me.

I bought Todd Gheisar's Beginning and Intermediate tapes from a recommendation on this board. Very non-intimidating. In the beginner's tape, Todd teaches just a few punches. He uses a chair to help you learn the form correctly on the kicks. The intermediate tape is just a step or two up from the beginner tape, so the speed is not too fast. I also used the GI Jabb Instructional tape for extra form pointers.
Patti S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-02, 10:12 AM  
lovemygirls
VF Supporter

Smile I just tried kickboxing for the first time this week...

it happened to be the KS Kickboxing DVD. (I do think I like it.)

I too am a little concerned about injury since these moves are quite different and new. I decided this:

1. I took the workout very easy in order to do the moves safely and correctly. I'll continue to do so until I feel I can be more aggressive.
2. I watched the technique sections carefully.
3. I decided to give myself time. Kathy mentions that Keli had been doing kickbox for 5 years!! I realized this is something that takes time and practice. You can't expect to jump in there and be looking like a pro after a few workouts - - this is a sport/art.

Be patient with yourself with whatever VHS/DVD you select. I think giving myself pep talk increases the possibility that I will enjoy kickboxing and have another form of exercise to rotate into my fitness routine.

BTW, even though I took the workout "easy" I felt muscles in my back that I don't normally feel even in my weight workouts the next day. It wasn't a "bad" sore - - it was that "hey, I did a workout" sore!!

Good luck!!

Be nice to your kids. They'll choose your nursing home
lovemygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-02, 10:24 AM  
LauraH
VF Supporter

Knockout Workout

I know it's not a popular video, but I think Stephanie Steele's Knockout Workout is a good instuctional kickboxing workout. You could probably get someone to give it to you for a SASE or find it cheap on Half.com.
LauraH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-02, 10:28 AM  
Lynnee

I love kickboxing, but didn't care for Kathy Smith's KB workout either. I just didn't find it very engaging.

My favorite tapes for learning kickboxing were GI Jabb and Todd Gheisar's. (I liked Aaron Lankford's Powerkicks too, but the background exercisers drove me nuts.) They are very straightforward, drill-style (non-choreographed), and if you're used to int/advanced cardio and the Firm, you will probably find the pacing slow. However, they are great instructors who are sticklers for good form, and both Katalin and Todd teach very SAFE beginner workouts.

If these appeal to you, be sure to check out CKSales. Follow the clearance link--they have Todd and Katalin tapes on sale.
Lynnee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
katalin zamiar