Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-20, 07:55 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I think there are lots of factors. Personally, I just find I know what I like and need and I'm just not into anything too innovative or gimmicky.

I miss the science-based discussions that occasionally cropped up. I do think technology has a lot to do with it. I realize many people are using their phones, which makes posting difficult, so the posts are often brief, without much depth that can lead to a good discussion. I'm still on my desktop, with a keyboard, so i can ramble on an on

Technology has also given us more options for working out. Remember way back before cable tv, we only had a few channels and everybody watched the same shows at the same time. Then we got cable, videos, dvd's and now streaming, so except for the Super Bowl, no two people are watching the same show at the same time, even in the same household. I see that here. Everything seems to be spread kind of thin, so there's not as many common experiences (which can lead to fun threads) There is so much out there that I get overwhelmed and I so I stick with my basics. I have 3 or 4 online instructors I like and I'm afraid to look for more. I'll just get lost.

I still think VF is one of the nicest boards I visit. I've learned so much here and I'm forever grateful to the friend who introduced me to it many years ago.
Old 02-24-20, 08:12 AM  
JezthePuff2

I guess I'm more of a lurker than a poster. Beyond the silly board dramas (most of which I was unaware of), I think Facebook and other forms of social media started taking up more time for people and they just didn't have time to come here. It is kind of an antiquated medium and nothing has been refreshed in years. Some posters may have moved to the newer communities and didn't come back.

I still use DVDs (and once in a blue moon, VHS), but I know eventually I'll start streaming. I think that divide may also cause some people to leave simply because they are doing different workouts.

Honestly, I can't believe how upset people get over instructor preferences, devices, diets, etc. I really just don't get it. I mean, is it really the instructor/device/diet, or is it the tone in which people discuss them? I may not care for Tracy Anderson, but if someone else does, that's cool. I don't understand people who can't live and let live. All I can do is shake my head and repeat my old standby...."first world problems."

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 09:52 AM  
suzannaerin

I'm not one of the popular ones, but this is the only social media forum I still post/read. I used to post/read on the Team Estrogen forum and enjoyed the conversations about topics that are verboten here.

I'm old fashioned and don't Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any of that. This is pretty much it for me. I stick around because I enjoy the community and for the most part, people are kind. We all have our bad days but I think the forgiveness factor here is pretty high. And it's a supportive group of diverse people.

I've learned a lot here. I've found folks going through the same challenges that I was facing, often at times when I thought I was the only one.

I too miss some of the people who moved on, like Red Flame, Melly, and a few others.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 10:39 AM  
sherry7899

I loved Red Flame's posts! I wish she would come back.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 11:35 AM  
muggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
I'm not one of the popular ones, but this is the only social media forum I still post/read. I used to post/read on the Team Estrogen forum and enjoyed the conversations about topics that are verboten here.

I'm old fashioned and don't Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any of that. This is pretty much it for me. I stick around because I enjoy the community and for the most part, people are kind. We all have our bad days but I think the forgiveness factor here is pretty high. And it's a supportive group of diverse people.

I've learned a lot here. I've found folks going through the same challenges that I was facing, often at times when I thought I was the only one.

I too miss some of the people who moved on, like Red Flame, Melly, and a few others.
THIS!!!! Especially the MANY topics that are forbidden. There's only so much reading and posting I can do specifically regarding exercise and instructors. I've also learned a lot, been introduced to new instructors etc, but boy do I wish we could discuss other things without the thread being shut down.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 02:33 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle View Post
THIS!!!! Especially the MANY topics that are forbidden. There's only so much reading and posting I can do specifically regarding exercise and instructors. I've also learned a lot, been introduced to new instructors etc, but boy do I wish we could discuss other things without the thread being shut down.
I for one do not want the board opened up too much. I'm glad for no discussion of the d word and the latest and trendiest "scientific" d that is more often than not just a rework of an old d and is of no interest to me. These discussions can cause a lot of controversy and since as we all know the moderation currently is slim to none, things could rapidly deteriorate to nothing more than a slug fest. People can get very passionate about their d convictions and argue endlessly about them. Society in general seems to be going in that direction and I'm thankful that it hasn't done so here, at least so far.

I also don't care about a lot of glitz and glitter for the website. I come here for knowledge, conversation, and discussion of things fitness and those things don't need pyrotechnics. There are some very knowledgeable and kind people on this site. I also visit FB (AKA FakeBook) and don't find it a substitute for anything meaningful and definitely no substitute for what I learn here. JMHO of course!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 02:50 PM  
Anny

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I for one do not want the board opened up too much. I'm glad for no discussion of the d word and the latest and trendiest "scientific" d that is more often than not just a rework of an old d and is of no interest to me.
I agree. I really appreciate that VF is a diet free zone. I have been here since 2003 and just enjoy the shared knowledge about exercise without diet talk.

I personally gave up all social media, apart from LinkedIn for work, almost two years ago, for a variety of reasons. So I enjoy VF as a way to connect with others about workouts without the diet talk that happens elsewhere when I talk exercise. I do mostly use the check-in.
Old 02-24-20, 03:07 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I for one do not want the board opened up too much. I'm glad for no discussion of the d word and the latest and trendiest "scientific" d that is more often than not just a rework of an old d and is of no interest to me. These discussions can cause a lot of controversy and since as we all know the moderation currently is slim to none, things could rapidly deteriorate to nothing more than a slug fest. People can get very passionate about their d convictions and argue endlessly about them. Society in general seems to be going in that direction and I'm thankful that it hasn't done so here, at least so far.

I also don't care about a lot of glitz and glitter for the website. I come here for knowledge, conversation, and discussion of things fitness and those things don't need pyrotechnics. There are some very knowledgeable and kind people on this site. I also visit FB (AKA FakeBook) and don't find it a substitute for anything meaningful and definitely no substitute for what I learn here. JMHO of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post
Honestly, I can't believe how upset people get over instructor preferences, devices, diets, etc. I really just don't get it. I mean, is it really the instructor/device/diet, or is it the tone in which people discuss them? I may not care for Tracy Anderson, but if someone else does, that's cool. I don't understand people who can't live and let live. All I can do is shake my head and repeat my old standby...."first world problems."
Yes, I agree on both counts!
I love VF, have made some good friends here, tried many new workouts, and learned a lot as well.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 04:45 PM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny View Post
I agree. I really appreciate that VF is a diet free zone. I have been here since 2003 and just enjoy the shared knowledge about exercise without diet talk.

I personally gave up all social media, apart from LinkedIn for work, almost two years ago, for a variety of reasons. So I enjoy VF as a way to connect with others about workouts without the diet talk that happens elsewhere when I talk exercise. I do mostly use the check-in.
I wasn’t alluding to diets, it was other topics.

I do appreciate the reading thread.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-20, 06:23 PM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
hotncmom I’d probably read a thread you started about streaming workouts even though I don’t currently stream. I remember you posting info on Leah Sarago’s streaming site. What you posted actually helped me put together a rotation using my DVD collection and the concepts you described.

I really enjoy your posts.

I’m past the stage of menopause you describe but do remember it. I really enjoy your posts when I search for info and come upon them. I understand why you aren’t posting but do miss reading your posts.
Hello,

Thank you very much. I will have to start inputting regularly again soon, as I love reading posts from everyone here.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
absent vfers, ifit, new members, tommy rivs puzey, vf activity