Old 09-07-17, 09:23 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Let's let President Trump weigh in on the issue of exercise and longevity:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7723956.html
Old 09-08-17, 09:07 AM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

Please remember that political discussion is not allowed at VF, and. Comments about the article posted above will invariably run afoul of that guideline. Let's stick to the main topic of the thread so that discussion can remain open.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 09:25 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Thank you, Wendy.

I'm another with concerns about the young. One of my son's friends doesn't like to come to our house because we don't allow video games. When friends come over, I send them all outside, weather permitting! There was an article in the WSJ this morning about LEGO. They have experienced a drop in sales for the first time in many years, partly because they are having trouble keeping up with digital/electronic toys.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-17, 08:45 AM  
Sara1000

Are there any similar articles that don't specify Baby Boomers? My 80+ year old MIL is stuck in her recliner and is finding excuses not even to walk the 30 minutes a day her doctor recommends. She is likely to say it's already too late for her but I don't think it is - quite.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-17, 03:03 PM  
rhbrand

Its not to late as long as she can still stand up straight, or mostly straight.

I've got people in the nursing home where I pick up hours sometimes, that are literally stuck in a seated position. They can't stand up straight. The muscles, tendons and ligaments are now frozen and they are unable to stand up.

Get her up moving now, or she'll get stuck.
Old 09-17-17, 03:56 PM  
Sara1000

OMG!

I did find a link in the article to a study done with older folks. Meanwhile, I'm hoping maybe she and I can find a place to walk a little that's not too sunny. She doesn't like to get up very early which makes it hard to find a place to walk outside around here in South Texas. Our town is too small to have a mall.

She got a recliner about a year ago which is hard to get out of. My DH says the chair is killing her. It may be literally killing her
Old 09-17-17, 04:36 PM  
ellaenchanted

I wish my MIL would listen to these recommendations. She is so sedentary and has pretty weak muscles.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 10:39 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

My grandma lived almost to her 100th birthday. She decided to sit down in her early 80's. They couldn't even get her to walk down the hall. She just didn't want to. I believe part of it was depression from losing my grandfather and having to move into an apartment.

We need to observe our older relatives and learn from their issues and mistakes.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 11:32 AM  
dbclark44

What a great article. Thanks for sharing. I have a sedentary job. To combat that I set an Outlook appointment for every 30 minutes that says "Get Up and Move!". I put it on snooze for 30 minutes all day long, so it's popping up every 30 minutes. Most times I adhere and get up and do something. There is the occasional time when I snooze it without moving. I will definitely at least stand up now when it pops up.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 11:38 AM  
Sara1000

Great idea!!

Tags
aging, baby boomers, fitness, sedentary