Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-17, 07:02 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I feel bad that anyone would feel sick looking at another person because of their appearance or body. (The OP didn't say this but one of the replies did.)
adawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 07:04 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Weight (and health and body image and the lot) are such a complex interweaving of mental, physical and emotional issues.

also...

We can never have too much grace and compassion for others who may be struggling, whether it's for Terri or Terri's DH....so best wishes, OP. I hope you find the answers you need.
Wise words from Alison here. Please everyone, try to be sensitive and choose your words carefully. Many of our own community members struggle with weight and/or body image, and we all have struggles whether they are weight related or not. Take the time to be kind.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 07:14 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I feel bad that anyone would feel sick looking at another person because of their appearance or body. (The OP didn't say this but one of the replies did.)
Yes agree. I tried to ignore that remark, it was uncalled for and hurtful.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 03:17 AM  
cristinalatina

Yes, please do the man a favour and leave him. No one deserves what you are feeling for your spouse of 17 years (non acceptance, or conditional acceptance, disgust etc). I wish you an active and fit retirement as it is definitely a priority for you so go for it and pursue it instead of staying in a situation that doesn't suit you.
Old 01-09-17, 04:23 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Lots of good, compassionate answers. VF certainly is a great place for advice. Thanks everyone!

I have never struggled with obesity, nor has anyone close to me, but I can tell you that my late DH struggled with addiction. He was a recovering alcoholic, sober 17 years when he died. He also smoked his entire life. He died of heart/vascular disease, no doubt exacerbated by his smoking and drinking earlier in life. I did separate from him years ago over the drinking, and he found AA and lived the rest of his life sober, helping others stay sober. I couldn't have been prouder. Our marriage was stronger after we weathered that storm. The smoking... he never could kick that. We couldn't have been more different in that regard. I never put a cigarette to my lips in my entire life. Yet we loved each other. I will forever wish he could have stopped the smoking.

My thoughts... the eating isn't necessarily just a choice for him. It is most certainly an addiction that he needs help with. If you are wiling to stick around and help him get help, then stay with him. If you are not willing, it might be best for both of you to go your separate ways.

I wish you good luck. You don't have an easy decision ahead of you.
Old 01-09-17, 07:35 AM  
donnamp

Jeanne Marie and Pam - I think you both hit the nail on the head - sometimes overeating is an addiction just like any other and it is just as destructive to health and to relationships as alcohol, drug abuse, compulsive gambling, etc.

Alison said that no one would choose to be overweight/obese and I believe that is true - just the way no one would chose alcoholism or drug addiction.

It is definitely a tough situation.

I think if you are both willing to work on this issue - then maybe some sort of counseling is in order - both for him to determine what the underlying reasons are for his overeating and for you with learning how to deal with it - and also for both of you as a couple to come to terms about what you both want from the future.

I wonder if he would be willing to try something like Over eaters anonymous and I wonder if there is some sort of related support groups for spouses/family of overeaters.

((HUGS)) to you - it is not easy.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 08:35 AM  
dnna

do the guy a favor and leave him. I am sure there is a lonely woman who would love to be with him and good luck finding a new,fit partner.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 09:19 AM  
Terry

Do you love him or do you not?

If no, would you love him if he were thin? The only valid answer to this question IMO would have to be: No.

If you love him regardless and are over the top with frustration: My husband was a yo-yo dieter for years. He binge ate sugar frequently. He has now been amazingly successful, over three years so far, with the Naturally Slim program. It is expensive ($500) but his insurance paid for it. It is supposedly based on very slow eating of one thing at a time so that some "desire for flavor" trigger in the brain is satisfied, but my husband said it worked so well from Day 1 that he wonders if the weekly training videos have subliminal messages in them.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 10:13 AM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

Wow, I should have realized that this would be a sensitive subject. Shame on me.

Again, thank you for all your comments. You all have given me something to think about, whether the words were kind or just "trying" to be kind.

One thing I have decided is to contact Overeaters Anonymous for any support group situations for me....and I'm also going to call my company's Lifeworks phone number to inquire if/what they cover for someone my husband could work with.

I do love the man - very much so - I'm just feeling lonely in my marriage because what we once had as a common core thing together is no more. I've tried to get it back other ways, suggested joining a gym together, but nothing has worked.

And that's why I reached out to all of you - thank you again for all of your input.

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 10:14 AM  
Lauracat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri1222 View Post

To add some more background, this whole "review of my marriage" has only occurred when I finally threatened to leave him due to the emotional abuse that was going on by him. I finally said we go to counselling or we're done.
Isn't this actually the important issue here? I don't see how this can be separated out from the weight question. If you're being emotionally abused, it makes sense to me you wouldn't be supportive of him - about anything.
Lauracat is offline   Reply With Quote