Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-26-20, 08:23 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
We call that "The Room of Shame." Sometimes a "Room of Unusual Shame." I have tried to convince myself over the years everyone has one. Please no one tell me any different.
And DD's idea of decluttering her room is to bestow it to the room of shame kingdom. She keeps shoving it there and I have to keep hauling it out. She was very industrious and purged several trash bags full of junk to make room for her more adult vibe. Now I will convert the ROUS to an ROS....yay!

Yes, The Crammer and The Shover turned my refrigerator and pantry into a nightmare here. I handled the pantry but The Shover was assigned the refrigerator. She did an excellent job, too. Which only makes me realize she CAN put things away properly. Sigh.

I have no patience to sustain an "organization" by The Crammer.
LOL at the "The Room of (Unusual) Shame" and "The Crammer" and "The Shover". I feel less weird about my own grocery putting-away habits and pantry rearrangements. I even make sure to put the new canned goods behind the old canned goods so the oldest get used first. Apparently this is not a universal practice?
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-20, 09:16 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
LOL at the "The Room of (Unusual) Shame" and "The Crammer" and "The Shover". I feel less weird about my own grocery putting-away habits and pantry rearrangements. I even make sure to put the new canned goods behind the old canned goods so the oldest get used first. Apparently this is not a universal practice?
I do this too and can't understand why hubby doesn't seem to get it!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-20, 09:23 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I always put the older stuff in front, whether it is canned goods or yogurt. Some people don't do that?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 04:01 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

son has special permission to help his friend's Boy Scout troop (our state is in lockdown). This troop has chosen to stand up a canned goods and toiletries drive for the elderly. they received 300 orders so far, and donations from restaurants and individuals.

anyhow, i found some items to donate - i don't have a hoard of items to share being that our stores are only allowing 1/customer to prevent stock-outs.

i went to my sister's house (formerly our mom's house) today to see what Avon items we could donate to this cause*. Our late mom was an Avon Lady!. Sister also went through their food pantry. My sister found a box of canned goods to donate. in the process, she also found a ton of "too old" canned goods to dump.

*Avon items included a lot of things senior women might like - brand new bottles of perfume, face moisturizer, lotion, body spray, sunscreen, and shampoo. non-Avon items included efferdent tabs (still in packages) for denture cleaning, other brands of perfume, cologne and body spray, bald spot covering (comes in a spray can, still new and sealed ), new toothbrushes, travel size toothpaste, new tube of denture cream, etc.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 04:07 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

we have been slowly eating foods in the pantry and freezer that were there for awhile. being home, because DH and I are WFH, makes me more aware of what needs to be dumped/used up before expiration date.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 03-27-20, 01:50 PM  
BunnyHop

I've made some progress with reorganizing, but have miles to go.
The only thing that seems to help is to just chip away at it every morning before I wake up and talk myself out of it.
Old 03-27-20, 03:17 PM  
Vantreesta

I cleaned out one drawer in the bathroom vanity this afternoon while I listened to the governor's daily covid-19 update. It's pretty sad that one drawer took an hour.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 03:25 PM  
BunnyHop

And a success experience!!!

My copy of AM/PM Callanetics had disappeared. I was so frustrated I went ahead and bought a new copy. I figure if I like it THAT much, I should have a backup.

Naturally, today after reorganizing my entire stash of dvds, it reappeared. Literally the last place I looked, hidden by the pages of a notebook I used to use to keep track of my CS workouts.

Sigh. Didn't mean to add to the stash, but I'm glad I am strong enough to do some of this one now. (After my hysterectomy a few years ago, then my fathers final years of life, it was way more than I could manage.)
Old 03-31-20, 12:25 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
And a success experience!!!

My copy of AM/PM Callanetics had disappeared. I was so frustrated I went ahead and bought a new copy. I figure if I like it THAT much, I should have a backup.

Naturally, today after reorganizing my entire stash of dvds, it reappeared. Literally the last place I looked, hidden by the pages of a notebook I used to use to keep track of my CS workouts.
i saw your post about that in the thread in General! and i thought that it might reappear!

i'm trying to reorganize my stuff because i'm looking for my WW DVDs.

Old 03-31-20, 08:45 AM  
Izzy

On my walks, I noticed many people are taking advantage of this Shelter in Place to do some serious spring cleaning. Unfortunately Waste Management said at this time they are not taking any bulky items.

As for me, I did my bi-annual fall/winter to spring/summer clothing switch. A little early but it made me feel optimistic. During the process I have a bag for Goodwill. While at it, I went through some other bins and was able to compile another box for Goodwill.

Meanwhile at the Library, while we are closed I am taking advantage and tacking some file cabinets that have not been touched in years. Because we are required to the standards of Record Retention as well as disposal we have one room designated for this purpose. I spent a day last week shredding the documents we are allowed to dispose of. Then I started the "file" room and my goal is to consolidate 4 cabinets into 2. I am making good progress. While all the other managers are working from home, I am taking advantage of this time to get this done. I suggested others take a day here or there to attack their departments but no one bit. Since my job is HR/Finance and Building, it is ok that I am here. There are two reports we send to the state each year. And where as one can be disposed of after 7 years the other we keep forever. Well I almost shredded those until something told me to look at that list one more time. Thank goodness. I had to dig those out of the shred box. We did clean our carpets as well and waxed a few floors. As we get closer to the re-open date when that comes we will do a deep cleaning. We are talking about how we are going to quarantine and clean the books that are returned once we re-open. The last we heard it is quarantine for 24 hours and wipe the books down that we can. Anyway, I feel good about my progress.

Mary
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
de-clutter, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, minimalist, minimizing