Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-04-11, 12:22 PM  
christinan

FUN Fave List

In the spirit of remotivating myself to move again, and because the thought has reignited the 'collector' in me to purchase all the best fun workouts ever made... I was hoping everyone could post their fave workouts dvds of all time

I love anything that has great music and is super fun to do. I am going to try and purge all of my dvds that pose a 'dread' factor for me.

Here are some old loves of mine (pardon me for not having all the titles but its been a while and I need to go through my collection ) :

- anything Keli Roberts
- Chalene looks fun; I need to pull out my Turbo Jams and maybe get some others!
- old Firms (something fun about watching these...)
- Yoga (Yoga Zones, Shiva Rea, Eric Shiffman) - I'd like to try Eoin Finn; have PY4H that I need to sample
- Cathe strength vids

Dread factors for me are, unfortunately ones I really wanted to love! Some that always seem too tough are:
- Tae Bo
- any step or complex choreo (can't seem to get the hang of any moves...)
- any bootcamp ones that are too serious, too strict and filmed too dark - I tend to love colourful workouts

I'll keep looking to see which ones I seriously need for my collection as I read what you all consider faves with lots of fun and enjoyment factor. There is something about collecting really great workouts that gets me motivated!

TIA

...Come to Me all ye who are weary & heavy-ladened and I will give you Rest...
Matthew 11:28 / KJV ~ "The Holy Bible"

°~°*~*°~° Tina °~°*~*°~°
christinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 12:33 PM  
acta5534

TURBO FIRE = FUN
acta5534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 12:38 PM  
Elise7

Amy's High Low Cardio Knockout has great music!
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 12:40 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I like anything Kari Anderson, though I haven't seen her latest ones so maybe I'd change my mind. She moves so gracefully and has such a serene presence about her.
Old 10-04-11, 12:41 PM  
moviegrl1737

Quote:
Originally Posted by acta5534 View Post
TURBO FIRE = FUN
I second this and add
Insanity Grad
Half Marathon Finisher

"What you do today is important because you are trading a day of your life for it." - Unknown
moviegrl1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 12:56 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Favorites I pull out often:

The Firm classic old volumes (cheesy or not, they work!)
Tae Bo Lives on VHS (I the Basics; not too long & not too tough)
KCM's 30 Minutes to Fitness series
Petra Kolber's Bootcamp Boogie
Michelle Dozois' Walk Yourself Slim

I'm sure I'll think of lots more.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 01:09 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

These days, I pretty much just do enjoyable stuff. Fun for me includes:
-- A run with a podcast, music, or cardio coach (a factor here is that running isn't a very difficult activity for me as a whole, and b/c I can do it outside)
-- Certain dance dvds, e.g. Zumba, Patrick's 'Dance Moves'
-- Some kickboxing dvds - these must be very choreographed and not be ridiculously challenging (for me), Amy Bento's 'In the Ring' comes to mind.
-- Some yoga ("Fun" might include Janet Stone, Tara Stiles or Ravi/Ana's 'Dance the Chakras'; other yoga routines that I love are "feel good" but not necessarily "fun")
-- P57 routines starring Tanya Becker
-- TA's Mat Workout

So, I would say that fun factors for me include some combination of:
--good music (TA Mat is one of my favorite workouts just b/c I really click with the music)
--a "vivacious" instructor (Tanya, Patrick)
--generally a less-than-killer level of intensity (it's not fun if I'm constantly reminded that I can't keep up; unlike a lot of VFers, I generally don't find it fun to do workouts that totally kick by butt)
--a lack of monotony (repetitive choreography or running on a TM facing a wall are generally NOT fun activities).

Something that isn't "fun" but isn't boring would also include some of the old Firms. They switch the activity so frequently, that it makes time go by faster, even if none of the activities themselves are all that fun.
Old 10-04-11, 01:38 PM  
Gams

Prevention Walk Your Way Slim
Tamilee's Fit to the Hits
Jane Fonda's Complete Workout
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 10:36 PM  
christinan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikruegs View Post
-- Some yoga ("Fun" might include Janet Stone, Tara Stiles or Ravi/Ana's 'Dance the Chakras'; other yoga routines that I love are "feel good" but not necessarily "fun")

So, I would say that fun factors for me include some combination of:
--good music (TA Mat is one of my favorite workouts just b/c I really click with the music)
--a "vivacious" instructor (Tanya, Patrick)
--generally a less-than-killer level of intensity (it's not fun if I'm constantly reminded that I can't keep up; unlike a lot of VFers, I generally don't find it fun to do workouts that totally kick by butt)
--a lack of monotony (repetitive choreography or running on a TM facing a wall are generally NOT fun activities).

Something that isn't "fun" but isn't boring would also include some of the old Firms. They switch the activity so frequently, that it makes time go by faster, even if none of the activities themselves are all that fun.
Yes, thank you for describing it this way. My faves are the 'feel' of the old Firms and 'feel good' type workouts also That to me is fun too

Yeah....I'm so excited to read everyone's faves!!! Thanks so much, I look forward to all the posts!!

Add - please do feel free to add 'feel good' ones too as I love that kind as well!!

And, my gosh - it totally looks like I need to get all of the Turbo Fires and some Turbo Kick too!

I'll have to try some Amy Bento's I have stored away and I know I got some of the KCM 30 min. ones as well. I was also reminded in reading here that I need to do my Rainbou Mars Dusk and Dawn yoga as well as some other ones I have been collecting. I'd like to do yoga for the feel good factor. Then some strength for toning. And I'd love to get into some kickbox type and Turbos. I wish I would have been able to try the old Tae Bo Basic Lives. I wish they would have redid them out on dvd! I heard the music is really good... And I forgot about Tamilee and Denise Austin. Also some old faves. As well as my Kathy Smith collection and maybe try some of my older BB collections like Yoga Booty Ballet. I was thinking I need to also get some Turbo Jam Live dvd's as I don't think I got those. And I have some Cathe strength too I like as well as I'd love to try Chalene's Extreme.

Mmmmm....some great ideas for some new purchases! I missed the excitement of reading here on VF but need to be careful now as I think I have another 500 dollars worth or more on my new wish list...lol.

Anyone try and like the new Bar Methods? I have that Fluidity bar I need to pull out sometime too.

I guess I like variety, feel good, fun, good production, colourful, motivating, not super killer workouts that have good music and a good overall feel to them. Things like P90x and so forth were always too daunting and tough feeling so not so much 'fun' or feel good to me unfortunately as I know they are really effective.

I used to jog and loved that for a few years, but things tend to be killer now on my knees and such. I'm also quite a bit heavier than I was when I was younger so more stress on the joints. I need to work on stretching and slowly being able to move again. The most I've been doing the past 2 years is walking my fur baby and regular day to day routines. I have more time now so I'm hoping to lose a bit of extra weight and do something to help my joints and overall health. I used to love the feeling after a good workout and a wonderful stretch or light relaxed yoga routine. I found that to be something I've missed...

...Come to Me all ye who are weary & heavy-ladened and I will give you Rest...
Matthew 11:28 / KJV ~ "The Holy Bible"

°~°*~*°~° Tina °~°*~*°~°
christinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 11:43 PM  
juberann

This is a fun thread I have really narrowed down my workouts this year and now only bother to do workouts from instructors I really like (no longer forcing myself to do stuff I don't care for).

My FAVORITES:
Kelly Coffey Meyers' 30 Minutes to Fitness series (love them all except for BootCamp).
Leslie Sansone, especially her newest, the cast and new music just makes me so happy!!
10 Pound SlimDown original and new EXTREME workouts and anything with Chris Freytag!
A few TaeBos and some Michelle Dozois round out the bulk of my workouts nowadays

Tags
favorite workouts, favorites, fun workouts