Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-13, 01:33 PM  
slysam

I love dance for cardio, but a lot of dvds (and classes) slow things down too much for instruction when the goal if the goal is a workout. I think the best for exercise purposes are the ones that separate the instruction from the workout. Because you really need to keep moving to keep the intensity up. I actually think the better dance workouts (just in terms of keeping intensity up) do have a fair amount of TIFTing. I just get a better workout with the much hated TIFTing workouts. One good one (just for the workout aspect not the dance) is the Ministry of Sound "Pump It Up" with Deanne Berry workouts from the UK. I only have one of the original ones and it is pretty good and has what were contemporary hits at the time of release. TA dance cardio is good too, I just don't worry about doing the same thing at the same time as TA and will even do the move she just did rather than the one she is doing at first. Same with Addicted to Sweat. I think the Fame dance workout is also pretty good. I actually get a good workout from Cardio Samba (World Dance New York, but just the run through not the breakdown) and Socacise as well. Or I did, I haven't done them for a few months so not sure how they would effect me now. I like the Yoga Booty Ballet dance cardio workouts, they are not quite as intense as TA's but they are fun and a decent level of intensity though the dance section is a little short.

I do like dance dvds where they have good technique instruction and break down the routines, I just do not find them to allow a higher intensity workout so if I really want to sweat--I save them for another day. Or I jog in place or mock jumprope while watching the breakdowns.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-13, 06:13 PM  
that_tori_girl

Sarina Jain's Masala Bhangra - Bhangra Burn. FUN!

I have 2 left feet, zero rhythm, and TIFTTing is my arch nemesis. While this DVD is TIFTT galore, I found I didn't mind it because the moves are just too much fun. I'm sure I looked like a spastic chicken, but that's why I did it with the blinds closed and while DH is out of town. The music is so infectious and the time FLEW by. Plus, I was sweating by the middle of the first block.

I'm nursing a wicked case of tendinitis in both knees and while this did have some squat based moves and was higher impact, I modified and/or went back to the "basic bounce" position. I'm not a dancer AT ALL (see comment: "spastic chicken"), so I'm not sure where I'd rate this. Possibly low intermediate? It was difficult for me, but I made it work. There is a move breakdown that I probably should have watched, but I like to just dive in.

The DVD also comes with a CD of music. Not sure if it's the music used in the workout (I would assume, but could be wrong), so I need to preview that, too.
Old 03-03-13, 06:40 PM  
cherimac

Jessica Smith has 2 Dance Cardio workouts free on You Tube.
Old 03-03-13, 07:37 PM  
kitty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_tori_girl View Post
Sarina Jain's Masala Bhangra - Bhangra Burn. FUN!

I have 2 left feet, zero rhythm, and TIFTTing is my arch nemesis. While this DVD is TIFTT galore, I found I didn't mind it because the moves are just too much fun. I'm sure I looked like a spastic chicken, but that's why I did it with the blinds closed and while DH is out of town. The music is so infectious and the time FLEW by. Plus, I was sweating by the middle of the first block.

I'm nursing a wicked case of tendinitis in both knees and while this did have some squat based moves and was higher impact, I modified and/or went back to the "basic bounce" position. I'm not a dancer AT ALL (see comment: "spastic chicken"), so I'm not sure where I'd rate this. Possibly low intermediate? It was difficult for me, but I made it work. There is a move breakdown that I probably should have watched, but I like to just dive in.

The DVD also comes with a CD of music. Not sure if it's the music used in the workout (I would assume, but could be wrong), so I need to preview that, too.
I wondered about this one - wasn't sure if her whooping would bother me! Did you do it barefoot like she does? It does look really fun.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 12:34 AM  
that_tori_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty12 View Post
I wondered about this one - wasn't sure if her whooping would bother me! Did you do it barefoot like she does? It does look really fun.
While the whooping did get to me a bit in the beginning, I was able to tune it out as the workout progressed because I was too busy focusing on getting the steps right! Plus, the music is awesome (could have been just a *little* bit louder, IMO) and I was keeping the beat rather than focusing on the whooping.

And yep! Did it barefoot!
Old 03-04-13, 06:13 AM  
kitty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_tori_girl View Post
While the whooping did get to me a bit in the beginning, I was able to tune it out as the workout progressed because I was too busy focusing on getting the steps right! Plus, the music is awesome (could have been just a *little* bit louder, IMO) and I was keeping the beat rather than focusing on the whooping.

And yep! Did it barefoot!
Thank you!!
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 12:38 PM  
cfwb

Another vote for Christi Taylor (ones like Totally Hot Cardio) and Kari Anderson (Push is intermediate/advanced, but only 1 of the 2 workouts is floor/dance based). I love Patrick Goudeau's workouts, but I can never get my feet to cooperate. I kept attempting Aerobic Dance, but never could get it.

Petra Kolber has nice dancey choreography, too, but her more advanced workouts are all step (dancey step, though).
cfwb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advanced dance, fun, fun cardio, fun workouts