Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-14, 07:24 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam31 View Post
Cloning is the final stage of their certification I tell ya!
LOL! I know what you mean - although for some reason it doesn't bother me with the Firms I use, guess cause it's part of what they're known for - but with this "newer breed" of brand instructors, I feel it almost shows a lack of will or a kind of laziness (and definitely a lack of personality). So that kind of thing bothers me too.

The same is absolutely true of Bar Method teachers, at least on video. Very scripted.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-14, 07:53 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnf View Post
I've been at the P 57 studio in New York, and all the instructors sounded like Tanya.
Wow, that's interesting you found that... I find quite the opposite! I think it would be hard to clone Tanya.

Some of the newer Bar Method videos (the online ones) exhibit a little more distinct personality.

There's something about videos, too, in which I think people tend to be a little more stiff... maybe they're nervous because they know it will live on in perpetuity? I suppose you figure in a live class if you say something dumb, it will be over and people won't be able to watch it again and again...
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-14, 09:25 AM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
LOL! I know what you mean - although for some reason it doesn't bother me with the Firms I use, guess cause it's part of what they're known for - but what this "newer breed" of brand instructors, I feel it almost shows a lack of will or a kind of laziness (and definitely a lack of personality). So that kind of thing bothers me too.

The same is absolutely true of Bar Method teachers, at least on video. Very scripted.
I knew you would agree, Gina! I agree- The Firm never bothered me either for some reason- they all "talked" alike because they were all from NC, but they did have their own personalities- trust me, I have used every one of their workouts over the years! This newer Barre breed seems more cloned to the founder of each brand IMO!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-14, 02:10 PM  
caitlinpyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
Do the B3s live instructors talk about being moms, too? haha. Sorry, couldn't resist.
That gets to me... during one workout, I was like, HEY! not all of us reach back to hand Goldfish to our kids while driving. ;-) We do other things, like reach behind us on the sofa to scratch the cat.

Barre, Indoor Walking, and Rebounding Lover

Favorites: Suzanne Bowen, Jessica Smith, Ellen Barrett
caitlinpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-14, 03:55 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
This newer Barre breed seems more cloned to the founder of each brand IMO!
Yes, exactly. At least each Firm instructor was her own individual Stepford Wife, lol.

But it does seem like these barre instructors are groomed into replicas of their studio's founders. I think this is a very intentional part of their training. For the most part, since barre is a relatively new breed - and studios are practically exploding across the country - I'd bet many of these instructors are fairly new kids on the block and the training itself can be relatively brief. Pure Barre is really fast I believe. So I've no doubt scripts (of one kind or another) literally come with the training and students are coached to sound & look like their brand's representative models.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-14, 04:07 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I never even noticed it.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-14, 08:52 PM  
ruthular

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post

Do the B3s live instructors talk about being moms, too? haha. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Yes!
ruthular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-14, 10:12 PM  
Coastal Girl

Quote:
Cloning is the final stage of their certification I tell ya!
I did notice this too, now that you mention it and it does kind of bug me.
Coastal Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 10:03 AM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Yes, exactly. At least each Firm instructor was her own individual Stepford Wife, lol.

But it does seem like these barre instructors are groomed into replicas of their studio's founders. I think this is a very intentional part of their training. For the most part, since barre is a relatively new breed - and studios are practically exploding across the country - I'd bet many of these instructors are fairly new kids on the block and the training itself can be relatively brief. Pure Barre is really fast I believe. So I've no doubt scripts (of one kind or another) literally come with the training and students are coached to sound & look like their brand's representative models.
Makes sense to me! If you can't have the "star" trainer, might as well have one almost just like her. Ha ha about the "individual Stepford wife" comment- that made me lol for sure! Like I said I do love Barre3-but I can only handle the dvds led by Sadie and I love other Barre methods too- I just thought it was a little weird once I noticed this !
Old 07-28-14, 10:04 AM  
moonbeam31

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlinpyle View Post
That gets to me... during one workout, I was like, HEY! not all of us reach back to hand Goldfish to our kids while driving. ;-) We do other things, like reach behind us on the sofa to scratch the cat.
yeah- that would be annoying to someone who is not a mommy! Good thing I am or it might be a deal-breaker for me! ha ha It does not take much for me these days!