Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-14, 08:24 AM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
well...what kind of exercises can I do? My doc just thinks it's bruised and he thinks there is nothing I can do other than ice it.
Well, to the good - that should heal faster than a break. Did your doctor put any restrictions on you, re: activities? If not - I would say just experiment around and see what you can do; you might be surprised. Just be creative and patient with yourself. Nothing monumental will be lost or gained in the time it takes that stuff to heal.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 05:28 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Wow, lorajc, I'm sorry to hear that you've got another injury. You seem to have had many injuries over the last few years. Have you discussed them as a whole with your doctor? Have your tried to see if there's a reason why you are so injury-prone (for example, do you have balance issues)?

In any event, I hope you heal up soon.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 05:48 PM  
Jane1721

lora, I'm so sorry you have had so many injuries to deal with! I haven't had a bruised rib, but I have had pain in my ribcage that was so strong it hurt to breathe (I think it was ovarian cysts? It always happened a day or two before my period started). The pain was so bad I couldn't even lean my back against the sofa...but I didn't want to miss a workout! I think I recall doing The Tortoise when I was in pain like this, since it didn't raise the heartrate too much and didn't require lying on my side. However, resting a day or two isn't a bad idea if you're really in pain.
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 12:55 AM  
GMonkey

If you continue to have difficulty breathing, definitely see the doctor to be sure you don't have a punctured lung.

If you feel up to it, just walk for exercise until you get the all-clear.
GMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 08:14 AM  
lorajc

Thanks ladies .........doc thinks I get breaks easily as I'm on Nexium for my reflux.....causes weak bones, been on it for MANY years......and nobody needs to tell me that yes I need to work on my balance badly due to good old age and menopause .... I do

H

y footing in the shower all the time.......just one more reason I need to start adding more yoga into my routine.

However I contribute the fact that I WA drinking when i did my wrist injury and foot and ankle injury. I have since quit.

Sorry this post
t is messd up...on my tablet and it went screwy.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 11:03 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Thanks ladies .........doc thinks I get breaks easily as I'm on Nexium for my reflux.....causes weak bones, been on it for MANY years......
Have you been tested for this? Does your doc think you have osteoporosis? 'Cause if so, there are things to do about it and also exercises to watch out for.

Quote:
However I contribute the fact that I WAS drinking when i did my wrist injury and foot and ankle injury. I have since quit.
Congratulations to you!!!!! I hope that this latest injury heals quickly and that it will be a very, very long time before you experience another injury.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 07-28-14, 11:30 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

(((lorajc)))

I try to do balance work often. Another thing that contributes to injuries is being distracted. One has to try and be aware, especially in our "old age" as you call it. Between family obligations, social media and general stress, it is sometimes hard to pay attention to what we are doing.

I have found that meditating helps with focus. I made up a thread with links to free meditations:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...46#post2238046

Also, sometimes talking things out with a dear friend, family member, pastor or counselor can help clear our minds.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 02:00 PM  
lorajc

Well, I just finished TRYING to workout......way too much pain.

And yes, I was tested for osteoporosis after having 3 stress fractures in my feet 3 Summer's in a row. This was prior to the other injuries LOL.

My rib hurts so bad that I can't do pushups, any weighted over head movements or chest work. I think I'm going to ACTUALLY let it heal and do Kundalini Yoga for a few weeks. Ana put up a Weight Loss KY routine in her last Newsletter. I think as much as I don't want to, I'm going to bite the bullet (no pun intended....that's the baby kittie's name that caused all this)....and just do KY and walk in the park for a while.

My doctor said if it's broke or bruised, the treatment is the same and that there is nothing he can do for it..........ICE IT is all he said. I wonder if I should start using heat now. What do you ladies think?

I think I'm going to start another thread about rib injuries and what exercises to do.

thanks.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 02:40 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
And yes, I was tested for osteoporosis after having 3 stress fractures in my feet 3 Summer's in a row. This was prior to the other injuries LOL.
If you actually have osteoporosus (and NOT osteopenia) I would consider getting some kind of treatement. BTW, I've had a couple of stress fractures in my foot -- the metatarsals -- and they're no fun.

Quote:
I think as much as I don't want to, I'm going to bite the bullet (no pun intended....that's the baby kittie's name that caused all this)....and just do KY and walk in the park for a while.
Yes, only do what doesn't cause you pain. HEAL.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!

Tags
balance, injuries, multiple injuries