Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-14, 12:49 PM  
lorajc

Oh....NO......ooooooo Another Injury!!

Oh...great. I have a new kitty and we have to put the blind, hanging closures up on top of the blind so he doesn't play with them and hang himself. I was standing on the chair doing this and I lost my balance and fell off the chair and hit my side (by my rib) into the corner of the couch. It is dark red right now, getting ready to turn black and blue. It hurts to breath. I think I either bruised or broke a rib and I have pain in my arm and shoulder.

I don't want to take time working off. Anyone else with similar injuries have advice.............how long does it take to heal ....what did you do for workouts,, etc.

I'm so upset, it's been one injury after another for me lately!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 01:09 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

oh dear! I would get that x-rayed. Hurts to breathe? That doesn't sound good... I'm sorry!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 01:17 PM  
mrsyancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
oh dear! I would get that x-rayed. Hurts to breathe? That doesn't sound good... I'm sorry!
I agree with this.....especially if it hurts to breathe and you're not sure if it's broken or not.....just to be on the safe side....hope you get better soon
mrsyancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 01:41 PM  
Fit Gal

I hope you feel better. I agree that you should get an xray.
Fit Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 01:49 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Immediately: Ice the area as best you can.

Next: Get an x-ray!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 02:27 PM  
Kyra

Maybe a broken rib, maybe not. Do get it checked out. Don't push for an x-ray if the ER staff doesn't want to do it; it's possibly irrelevant data. No need to expose yourself to radiation if it's not going to change the treatment approach.

Had broken ribs a few years ago. Not a whole lot is done for them unless there is some compelling reason to do so, i.e., displaced parts that might puncture something. Your ribs are held together with some very strong connective tissue and crosshatching muscle, so odds are pretty good that yours are not displaced. Mine were not displaced so I basically went about my business, including exercise as long as I was pain free. No ab work, nothing that included valsalva (so no super heavy lifting).

Still, ouchy stuff; also, be prepared for a long recovery if there's a break. I was told 10 - 12 weeks and laughed, figuring 6 - 8 at most. I was wrong, it was a good 10+ weeks before I was pain free.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 02:36 PM  
lorajc

well...what kind of exercises can I do? My doc just thinks it's bruised and he thinks there is nothing I can do other than ice it.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 02:50 PM  
suzannaerin

Don't worry. I had a rib contusion once. As I recall, it healed fairly quickly. Ice will be your best friend.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 05:43 PM  
horsemom2

Please always have Arnica gel and apply immediately after an injury for best results. May be too late for this injury but worth a try.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 07:02 PM  
geojill

Oh, no! Get yourself checked out and hopefully it will just be a bad bruise and nothing worse. Rest up and take care of yourself.

Tags
balance, injuries, multiple injuries