Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-14, 11:11 AM  
Stephanie84

How important is a specific rotation?

I've been doing a combo of Tracy Anderson and Barre workouts - primarily Barre3. I'm wondering if I would have better results if I just stuck with TA for a few weeks, then strictly Barre3 for a few weeks.

I like mixing it up because I get bored easily, but I wonder if I'm getting the full effect of each in doing so.

Am I overthinking it?
Stephanie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 12:01 PM  
Kyra

Specificity is important if you are looking for a specific result. Meaning, if you want to do a 10K run, you need to run; if you want to improve your run time, you probably need to include some track-style workouts, etc. If you want to play tennis, you need to play tennis; if you want to play better, best to work with a pro.

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for out of your workouts, but if it's just health maintenance, consistency and enjoyment are IMO much more important than what, exactly, you do on a daily basis.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 12:23 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I get bored easily as well, but I have noticed more consistent improvements when I do rotations that last a while. If I jump all over the place, I still get improvements, but they're not as easy to keep track of because I doing all kinds of different movements.

I think what you're doing is fine. Stick with it a while. I don't think combining two different types of workouts will slow your improvements. What will slow things is flitting around to different types of workouts all the time.
Old 07-29-14, 12:38 AM  
Vee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
Specificity is important if you are looking for a specific result. Meaning, if you want to do a 10K run, you need to run; if you want to improve your run time, you probably need to include some track-style workouts, etc. If you want to play tennis, you need to play tennis; if you want to play better, best to work with a pro.

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for out of your workouts, but if it's just health maintenance, consistency and enjoyment are IMO much more important than what, exactly, you do on a daily basis.
Agree! Well said.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 05:04 AM  
PhyllisG

I think sticking to a rotation shows better results. I saw that when I would follow the Firm 90 day plan and then Cathes monthly rotations. Recently I completed 21 Day Fix then FeFits summer challenge. Now I am doing P57 June and July rotation. I am definitely seeing positive results. Tho I do plan on next doing P57 as the cardio for TAs Meta Abs. That was suggested by another VFer and I thought it sounded like a great idea. I think the combination you are doing sounds good and I bet you do see results.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 11:43 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I have never really stuck to a specific rotation. I get too bored. That being said, I am currently doing barre3, and SBF streaming, while adding on additional cardio, and I have noticed I am "firmer" that I was before. That might sound vague, but I did not actually take measurements or anything. I wasn't really expecting any changes. I have just noticed that my thighs are firmer, and I have more strength in my upper body. I have been doing barre for about 6 weeks now.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 11:58 AM  
Stephanie84

cool -

So I just made a cool calendar doing Jessica Smith cardio workouts and Barre3 for 2 weeks, then will switch to TA Cardio and TA workouts for 2 weeks then do a combo of both for 2 weeks. We'll see what happens I guess!
Stephanie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 09:33 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

No offense to anyone who doesn't follow rotations, but I guess I don't understand the point of buying something like P90X3 (for example) which is meant to be done in a certain sequence, and then not not following it. Seems like a waste of money to me, but maybe I'm misunderstanding.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 09:50 AM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
No offense to anyone who doesn't follow rotations, but I guess I don't understand the point of buying something like P90X3 (for example) which is meant to be done in a certain sequence, and then not not following it. Seems like a waste of money to me, but maybe I'm misunderstanding.
I guess this to me is sort of like saying there is no point in going for a run if you aren't training for a 5k (or insert your race.)

I do rotations, and I also don't do them. Depending on where I am at.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 01:26 PM  
Rachel*Jacobs

I am in the process of losing weight since Mar. I like following a rotation because then I know what I will be doing for the next several weeks. Before without following a rotation I would stand there & wonder what to do that day. Now it is all planned out, I don't flit from one thing to the next without seeing any results. I compare what each system did for me, which helped me to stay on goal of losing weight - which helped me lose the most inches, etc.
I have done 21 Day Fix, Kathy Smith Project You, Slim in 6.
Rachel*Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote