Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-09, 05:23 PM  
Charlene
VF Supporter

What have you done for your medial glutes, lately?

This is the question my physiotherapist asked me when I saw her last week for back pain. *cough*. Sadly, I have not done much for mine. And I'm wondering - what can I do? recommendations welcome for things that work the medial glutes (I have a few from the PT, but really, I wanted to ask all of you - what have you done for your medial glutes, LATELY?)

"“Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again , come , come.”

Rumi.

Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.
Rumi
Charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 05:23 PM  
Hazel Porter

Firewalkers!
Old 02-21-09, 07:53 PM  
suebella
VF Supporter

Charlene, do you have The Trigger Point Therapy book? There are lots of suggestions for massages for the glutes in there, the specifics of which are probably too embarassing to discuss on a public board like VF.

I find them helpful. Painful, but helpful. Most use a tennis ball between your glutes and the wall.

Yell via PM if you want further descriptions.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 08:18 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene
This is the question my physiotherapist asked me when I saw her last week for back pain. *cough*. Sadly, I have not done much for mine. And I'm wondering - what can I do? recommendations welcome for things that work the medial glutes (I have a few from the PT, but really, I wanted to ask all of you - what have you done for your medial glutes, LATELY?)

Charlene, I believe the medial glutes get worked hard in moves that have you standing on one leg. I know you're into yoga, so maybe putting together a routine with one legged poses would impress your PT?

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 08:42 PM  
videofit

Any Margaret Richard workout.
Old 02-21-09, 09:08 PM  
Charlene
VF Supporter

Sue, I have the Davies & davies 'trigger point therapy workbook'. Is that the one you mean? I am scared to look at it now, LOL

"“Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again , come , come.”

Rumi.

Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.
Rumi
Charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 11:00 PM  
naturallove

I think any of the gliding workouts would be great for working the hip stabilizers. I found that doing Red Carpet Ready (which uses the Val-Slides) coupled with a side elbow/knee plank my therapist gave me (also great for the hips) really helped me increase my strength over a relatively short period of time. I think the pilates side kick series is also great for this area (e.g. Winsor Bun and Thigh and Total Core Pilates) as well as Tracy Effinger's floor work in Squeeze Stronger.
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 12:34 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

What is Red Carpet Ready??
monterey vidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 02:16 AM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

Char,
X band walks, clams, work on activating the posterior glute med. Not all glute med exercises are created equal and you're not going to get too much from a vid me thinks.

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 06:09 AM  
naturallove

One more...

The Tracie Long Training Workouts are also good for targeting the medial glutes...the Yorktowns, Better Burn and Better Buns, etc. To answer the other question, Red Carpet Ready is an e-book exercise (and diet) program by a trainer named Valerie Waters.
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote