Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-22-20, 08:44 AM  
killoffsonny

I just dropped off a bunch to the Goodwill yesterday. Probably thirty. I'm down to thirty. For some odd reason I could not get rid of my Gilad's. I haven't done those in years but I could not part with them. Kept thinking I might do them some day if internet is down. I do most of my working out at the gym but when the state was on lockdown back in March I did quite a bit of working out to the dvds...and youtube.
Old 12-22-20, 09:04 AM  
Izzy

Yes, overall, slowly but surely. I donate them to my library. This way if I want to do the workout again, I can check it out. But at least twice a year I go through them, if I haven't done the workout in the past year, I put it in the pile. My space is small and I am a declutterer. So far I have no regrets and I have only repurchased one.
Old 12-22-20, 10:33 PM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

A couple of times I got rid of dvds. I was sorry afterward and reacquired most of them.
Old 12-23-20, 01:20 PM  
danac99

I got rid of several that I truly disliked, but will keep the others. My tastes and fitness level vary over time so I don't plan to get rid of any as long as I have the space to store them. A lot of my DVDs are out of print so I don't want to go to the trouble of trying to track down a used copy if I change my mind.

I've also gained a new appreciation for my DVDs since COVID started.

dana
danac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-20, 01:08 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I'm going the opposite direction -- I'm buying DVDs that I don't have! I work in high tech and enjoy YouTube's largesse in bestowing upon us non-paying users the ability to upload (private) videos for personal consumption, a.k.a. free cloud storage as back-up for my DVDs. But I fear that freebie will go away and I am not a fan of streaming because I already have a huge collection of goodies, so I do enjoy the clear property rights of DVD ownership If music records can still be played today, I figure DVD players will be here for awhile! Also, there's something about the high production values of (now classic) DVDs that streaming and YouTube videos don't typically reach. And I just continue to love Kelly, Cathe, Karen (Voight), Kathy (Smith), Gilad, Kari (Anderson), Keli (Roberts), Eoin Finn, etc. It's hard to give up on these great routines and practices...
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-20, 01:22 PM  
hypnomoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Denise,
I suggest you try the old trick I did with my children. I boxed up and hid toys so that they were out of sight. If they never missed them, then out the door they went. But if they suddenly missed or needed them, they would be rescued from toy purgatory.

You could try a workout purgatory initially and see how that feels?

(I am constantly purging workouts using this method and it works great for me.)
I love this idea! And, I seem to be doing it unintentionally. I have only 1/4 of my collection available in the house for access. The rest are all packed away and have been that way for 8 years. (Gawd, I HATE admitting that!)

I want to convert them all to digital for better storage (take up less room) and for better ease of accessibility. But, I haven't looked for a step by step way to do that.

There are quite a few I know I want to sell or give away too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been thinking of weeding through their collection. I do have the fear of sellers remorse though. Yea, even if it has been 8 years out of sight!!!!
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-20, 09:39 AM  
TinaT

I did a big purge about 9 months ago. I only kept what I know I'll truly use.

Anna Benson Remastered Firms
Fitprime/Kickbutts
Karen Voight
1 Season of Classic Stretch
Tracey Mallett Barre Workouts

I also use free workouts on Youtube for my rebounding.

I'm content.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-20, 12:48 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I never get rid of any workout DVD or VHS tape. I have them all on a bookshelf (except the VHS tapes that are in the attic in boxes). I mostly use Cathe, but have some other favorites, that I will never part with. Also, there have been times when I needed less intense workouts, such as after being sick, so I like having workouts of all intensities.

I have stopped buying new workouts, except for Cathe’s, so I cherish my collection.

Spoken like a true vidiot.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 12:12 PM  
Dancing Queen

I got serious about decluttering my workouts when the pandemic started. I decided that my criteria for keeping a workout needed to change from "that was okay" to "that was great and I want to do it again."

I have a spreadsheet of all my workouts, with different lines for each premix / workout. I keep a variety of info in the spreadsheet for each workout including "Fun" ranked on a 5-point scale.

Anything that isn't a 4 or higher on the Fun scale gets deleted from the spreadsheet so I'll never consider doing it again. (If I'm not sure if something is a keeper, I'll mark it as a 3.5 and re-evaluate the next time I do the workout). If I delete every workout or premix for a specific DVD, then the DVD gets posted on swapaDVD.com or goes into my Goodwill box.

I have removed about 40 DVDs from my collection since March. My goal is to keep decluttering until I can get all of my workout DVDs into one specific bookcase. Once that happens, my rule will be to get rid of an older DVD before I can buy a new one.

It's incredibly satisfying to know that all the workouts I own are ones that I enjoy.
Dancing Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 12:52 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paine View Post
... I went through all of my DVDs and kept the ones I loved the most. Each day I would do a workout that I wasn't sure about. If I didn't like it, I got rid of it. I had to at least enjoy it enough where I knew I'd want to do it again. If the DVD had a 10 minute segment that I loved, I kept it because sometimes I like having add-on workouts. Good luck!
This is what I plan to do this year.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
declutter, decluttering, downsizing, dvd collection, dvd inventory, large collection, minimizing, purging, purging dvds, sellers remorse