Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-14, 10:59 AM  
dianestjohn

RANT - Horizontal Cardio Moves

I think this is what they are called - you're in a plank position moving your legs in crazy ways gasping for air and the torture goes on for many minutes. HATE HATE HATE them! They've become a deal-breaker for me but I feel like they appear in sooooo many workouts now, when I get a new workout I pray that they do not appear (or maybe for a minute only, which I think is all I could tolerate) but they are everywhere, done by everyone!!!. Last night I was so excited to get a Dream Body workout from Kineticflix but the first 10 minutes I was on all fours most of the time and Joni-O'd it, cursing and feeling like a failure.

I really feel like the body is not meant to move that way I feel winded in a way that I never do when I'm upright, almost like the air can't get to my lungs in a proper fashion when I'm in that position. For those of you who like these moves, did you feel this way at first? Do you just persist and then the position feels natural?
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-14, 11:13 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I think Stuart Mcgill and others began publicly saying regular stationary planks weren't as valuable as previously thought:
http://q.equinox.com/articles/2013/09/plank-workout

and also some rehab people like Foundation Training like "8 point planks" to build the core.

Not my favorite thing either, but I've not yet gotten a workout that went on and on like that to notice it too much. 10 minutes would be too much for me, I can tell you!
Old 01-17-14, 11:15 AM  
slysam

I did for a while though these moves are more a strength challenge for me than a cardio challenge. When I was doing a lot of Horizontal Conditioning, Ballet Body (upper) and Dream Body Fusion my upper body did start looking more toned than ever before. Barre does similar for my legs. I think my body often responds well to challenging body weight exercises--at least my limbs seem to. I only stopped doing these as I feel (not due to these workouts) and injured my shoulder and it took some time to recover and rebuild the strength and range of motion. I've been meaning to work back into easier versions of these types of workouts.

I think with any workout, well not every exercise is suitable for every person without modification. When I started I would sometimes do on-knees versions of the plank moves when the on-toes version got too difficult. Each time I would do it, I could do more on the toes. With Dream Body--are you talking about the original? It is a very long workout and challenging. I think the pace that Darby talks makes it seem even more frantic. When I did this, I really didn't worry about whether I was keeping pace with darby--notice the backgrounders vary in pace. I just watched the first few reps then did that exercise as best I could until it was time to change. After I got use to it, then it didn't seem so frantic. I am impressed at how she can talk throughout while doing these exercises, though I would prefer a little less talking in that workout.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-14, 11:21 AM  
violingal3

I feel your pain - I hated these types of moves. I remember when plain old mountain climbers were making their way into workouts and I would curse at those! Somehow your body gets stronger and you get used to these new moves and it does get better. I was there with DB a year ago and now all those awkward moves are like second nature.

On a funny side note - although I can make it through these "horizontal cardio" moves now, I still curse at them because my t-shirt comes up and over my head and I can't see anything and it feels like I'm suffocating because I'm breathing in that same hot air! LOL I tucked my t-shirt into my shorts and pulled up my shorts just one time before one of those horizontal moves and DH walked in to see what I was doing and I haven't heard the end of "granny pants" months later! So now I refuse to tuck in my t-shirt incase he does walk by!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-14, 11:33 AM  
bzbnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
On a funny side note - although I can make it through these "horizontal cardio" moves now, I still curse at them because my t-shirt comes up and over my head and I can't see anything and it feels like I'm suffocating because I'm breathing in that same hot air! LOL I tucked my t-shirt into my shorts and pulled up my shorts just one time before one of those horizontal moves and DH walked in to see what I was doing and I haven't heard the end of "granny pants" months later! So now I refuse to tuck in my t-shirt incase he does walk by!
LOL Hilarious! But yeah, I know what you mean about the shirt and breathing in hot air! I try to remember to wear a more fitted v-neck tank for those, but don't always know which DVDs have that plank position.
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-14, 01:35 PM  
dianestjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
. With Dream Body--are you talking about the original? It is a very long workout and challenging. I think the pace that Darby talks makes it seem even more frantic. When I did this, I really didn't worry about whether I was keeping pace with darby--notice the backgrounders vary in pace. I just watched the first few reps then did that exercise as best I could until it was time to change. After I got use to it, then it didn't seem so frantic. I am impressed at how she can talk throughout while doing these exercises, though I would prefer a little less talking in that workout.
This was the Dream Body cardio series - Intense (NOT the best Dream body to start with, I now realize ) - the instructor did talk constantly constantly and I wanted to muzzle her! I think I was just jealous that she had any air available for conversation of any type...
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-14, 01:53 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
I think this is what they are called - you're in a plank position moving your legs in crazy ways gasping for air and the torture goes on for many minutes. HATE HATE HATE them! They've become a deal-breaker for me but I feel like they appear in sooooo many workouts now, when I get a new workout I pray that they do not appear (or maybe for a minute only, which I think is all I could tolerate) but they are everywhere, done by everyone!!!
I'm laughing out loud here at your description and I totally agree. I'm always thinking, man, I'm in a plank already, what more do you want? I did a Patrick Goudeau workout where he had me in plank straddling the step bench with my legs, then wanted me to jumping-jack my legs up onto the step, then back down, again and again and again. Hahahahahaha, maybe later, dude.
Old 01-17-14, 02:19 PM  
marmact

I actually love these kinds of moves BUT I definitely did not at first. I also don't do some varieties of moves because I think they're too advanced for most people. Anything in a horizontal position takes a lot of core strength as well as flexibility in both the hip flexors and ankles. So you have to keep your core engaged while monitoring your flexibility. You also have to be super careful of hand positioning, shoulder position, etc., to avoid injury. I sometimes find it difficult to do that and move at warp speed--so I don't, LOL.

If those moves give you a lot of trouble, it might be better to stay at plank or to do controlled mountain climbers rather than the caffeinated variety, at least at first.
Old 01-17-14, 02:56 PM  
PrairieGem

Definitely not my favorite, either! I do like to do *a couple,* as a challenge to myself (there's a nice sequence in BBL BumBum, and I really like how Amy Dixon breaks down burpees in WHUFB)... but I about DIED during the second circuit on one of KCM's Boot Camp workouts. It's ALL PLANK! And not just plank--plank with you doing stuff, for like four minutes. I am definitely not up for that!

...Tho' I want to be.

My least favorite one is in Firm Express/Week 2/Rebekah, where you do a plank, then this "thread the leg through" move. It *really* bothers my hip flexors. I can literally feel tendons popping as they move around, and it creeps me out (shudder). I have no idea why it didn't occur to me until right this minute to modify that to regular planks or plank jacks or mnt climbers!
Old 01-17-14, 03:31 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I know what you meant, those moves are hard! I haven't feel that I can't get air or something, but I feel my abs on fire (I can see why they are effective), I do as much as I can, and then I go to child pose and cobra for a little stretch and then I continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
LOL how funny! But I feel you! I haven't try to tuck my t-shirt into my shorts though! You're killing me with the granny pants thing! Haha

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dream body