Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-18, 08:30 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

How exactly do you articulate your spine one vertebra at a time?

When I am told to "articulate my spine" or peel off the mat "one vertebra at a time" I am just at a total loss. I can't do it! I can curl through my upper back, then there's this pause, then my sacrum. So I can articulate, oh, 1/4 to 1/3 of my spine. Is it really possible to peel up off the floor (or lower onto the floor) one vertebra at a time, or is that just something they say to create the mental picture you need. Is it LITERAL, or just "cue-ese"?
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-18, 09:04 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

LOL! I've always wondered that myself. One vertebrae at a time just isn't happening at my house!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-18, 07:15 AM  
blzgrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
When I am told to "articulate my spine" or peel off the mat "one vertebra at a time" I am just at a total loss. I can't do it! I can curl through my upper back, then there's this pause, then my sacrum. So I can articulate, oh, 1/4 to 1/3 of my spine. Is it really possible to peel up off the floor (or lower onto the floor) one vertebra at a time, or is that just something they say to create the mental picture you need. Is it LITERAL, or just "cue-ese"?
I recently decided it’s just yoga-speak for “go slowly”. It’s kind of like when they tell you to breathe into your legs or something. We all know we can’t do that, so it must just mean to be mindful and relax that area.
blzgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-18, 07:49 AM  
BunnyHop

Imagine doing a body scan and noticing and relaxing one body part at a time in sequence. It seems similar to me.

For me it's mostly about focusing my attention to my back/spine and moving slowly and smoothly from bottom to top, or vice versa.

Stretching/being attentive to my muscles one section at a time is most of it.

Sorta like a cat stretching or a snake or worm wiggling along.
Old 10-17-18, 08:22 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blzgrl View Post
I recently decided it’s just yoga-speak for “go slowly”.
Haha, this is also how I approach it. Slowly and deliberately.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-18, 08:59 AM  
Exercise Diva

Me too.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-18, 10:13 AM  
Dabbadooey

You don't...I always tell my students to do it three at a time or five at a time...just a joke.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-18, 06:31 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I love this thread title !! I've wondered the same thing for years. And I would keep trying. Definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over and getting the same results ... But really I kept thinking if only I keep trying - lol!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-18, 02:17 AM  
marya

Thanks for raising this issue, Susan. OVAAT (rhymes with oh that) has always bugged me. It's physically impossible, at least on the mat. It does make sense to me when resuming an upright position after a toe touch and I can feel my spine slowly lengthening, OVAAT--but only then.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote