Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-18, 01:32 PM  
LizEMA

Induction vs Gas Stoves. Preferences?

I apologize in advance for posting off-topic, but I'm in desperate need of your opinions, input and advice.

I am in the very fortunate situation of being able to renovate my kitchen, but I am TORN between getting another gas stove or jumping on the induction bandwagon. I'm open to induction, I don't have any specific negatives about it, but, I have only ever cooked on a gas stove. PLUS, there is the factor that all of the pots and pans I use regularly -- including my most-used, all-time favorite skillet -- are decidedly NOT induction compatible. It feels not only wasteful but CRIMINAL to get rid of 85% of my cookware then also completely counterintuitive to just turn around and get all new (induction compatible) replacements.

I'm looking for any and ALL thoughts and experiences you may have had in similar situations. Those that have made the switch, those that have regretted it, those that have never looked back, those that have cooked on both, other things I might want to consider.

While we're on the topic, I'm facing the same dilemma regarding ovens -- gas vs electric. I've only used gas and have no experience with electric ones. Are there any negatives with electric ovens any of you have experienced?

I'm just terrified of being stuck with unreliable cooking appliances. I am in the kitchen on the daily, and that, compounded with a soon-to-be newly renoed kitchen, leaves very little patience for something to go wrong or not work properly.

(Of note: We just got solar panels installed so my SO is gunning to get anything and everything electric, though, I'm reluctant to have our main cooking appliance be electric and at risk of being inaccessible during a power outage. [We rarely, if ever, experience them, but the chance of being without a stove -- or oven -- still worries me.])

I have canine hearing and am easily bothered by noises/sounds. I've read some reviews for electric ovens in which reviewers complain of high-pitched noises or noisy fans. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced something similar with their electric oven -- OR stove. (I bought two induction burners to both test out induction cooking and have something to cook ON during the reno, and the fans on them are WICKED loud. Louder than window AC units! As far as I can gather, it sees to be something specific to the single burners and not actual stove units, but, it has me even more conflicted and worried about not sticking with gas.)

I need all the help I can get on making a decision and would greatly value and appreciate any and ALL input, including which manufacturers/models you had your experiences.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-16-18, 02:27 PM  
jusca

I highly favor gas over all cooking methods. I find it much easier to rapidly control heat. I tolerated electric ranges and stoves in my previous apartments. My sister had an induction range and I least liked it of all types of ranges. I can't remember exactly why I didn't like it. That range didn't last more than 2 years before she went back to gas. I must warn that some things I prefer to remain old school rather than the newest electronic tech version of it and stoves/ovens are ones I prefer to be as simple as possible and less dependent on an electrical source. The biggest advantage of gas is it still works whenever the power is out. No backup generators needed unlike electric or induction range tops. The only downside of gas is any leaks and carbon monoxide. A CO alarm will help with that.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 02:37 PM  
BunnyHop

I'd prefer gas too.

We've had glass topped electric cooktops for a long time and they haven't given any trouble at all, but when dad first started using one he had to get saucepans with the disc type bottoms that stay flat when heated. A lot of the fancier stuff will just warp and heat in one spot.

I experimented when his pans began to wear out, and wound up returning some things that just didn't work well. Even when the label says it'll work on a glass topped stove, that isn't always true. Eventually I found a style of disk bottomed stainless steel at TJ Maxx that seem destined to be with me forever, whatever my stovetop.

I'd still prefer gas, just because life gets so disrupted when the power goes out.
Old 09-16-18, 02:55 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

gas fer shur. For all the reasons noted above!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 04:50 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

No question - go with gas. I currently have a regular electric, and am about to go insane. My brother and sister-in-law have an induction, and they like it, but I found it as irritating as my electric. In my next apartment, if it doesn't have gas, I'm going to get a propane stove.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 07:39 PM  
DCW

I have a glass top electric stove. I don't like the glass top. I need to use a glass top cleaner to maintain it.

You like gas. Most of friends miss their gas stoves when they moved to an all electric house. One indulgence is allowable especially when you cook a lot.

I believe in spending money on good shoes, mattress, bras, appliances, and anything that you use daily.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 09:12 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

GET GAS!!

I mean, a gas stove of course. Gas is king when it comes to cooking. I have had flat-top induction in my last two houses and I certainly like it. I love the clean look of it; the function is also quite good compared to, say, coil heat. But nothing compares to gas for instant heat and detailed control. Really the only advantage to induction is that it's pretty. And easier to clean than ANYTHING with pans underneath, including gas.

However, given a choice, gas wins on functionality.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 09:53 PM  
Loriann

My SIL has induction and, as you mentioned, had to replace most of her cookware. I have used it a couple times, and vastly prefer DD’s gas stovetop. I have a glass top electric and other than the speed at which you can get water to boil, do not see the value in an induction range. I would get a gas cooktop in a heartbeat if I could.

Now as to the oven, DD has a lot of trouble with her gas oven being a consistent temp throughout so we must watch food more closely and rotate pans. Might just be her oven, but I vastly prefer my electric convection oven. Since I got the convection oven, all my food turns out better. Yes, the fan makes some noise. I don’t have canine hearing so it doesn’t bother me. It is not nearly as loud as the range hood.

In a perfect kitchen, I would go with a gas range and electric/convection oven.
Lori
Old 09-17-18, 08:21 AM  
Demeris

Gas. No contest.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-18, 09:00 AM  
sciencelady

When I remodeled my kitchen, I went with a gas range and an electrical convection oven. I'm very happy with that. I used to have an electric range with coiled top, and a separate electric oven. I looked at induction but avoided the need to rebuy all my cookware, so didn't choose that. My oven operates just electric or convection - not too many recipes or products give instruction for the convention oven, so it's not used much, but its fine when I do. I'm happier with my gas range as far as cooking quality, but the cleanups are a bit more involved.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote