Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-18, 08:12 AM  
Demeris

I like a firm mattress. When I sleep in hotels, I have back pain every morning.

Two years ago I got a Tuft and Needle mattress. It's my dream mattress. I have a simple metal frame for it as it needs no box spring.

I have to admit, although, that the Japanese shikibuton that Betsy mentions has piqued my interest.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-18, 08:27 AM  
sherry7899

We actually love the Stearns and Foster firm mattress we bought in 1997! It is still in great shape and extremely comfortable. I cannot flip it myself, though!

We just bought our son a Stearns and Foster XL twin mattress this past weekend. We were shocked (and horrified) by how much the prices have increased since we last bought a mattress (twin size one for our son in 2001, who is now six foot three and needs a XL one!)

The prices are crazy. I think our Queen size that we bought in 1997 was about $1100 for the mattress and box spring. When we were in the mattress store, I brought that up and was told the same one would cost $4,000 now

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-18, 08:29 PM  
Diana3271

I haven't had time to do anything, yet. I am hoping to get a chance to go by the local mattress store this week. I at least want to try some out so I can get an idea of how they feel compared to what I have right now.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 05:52 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I got the avocodo green mattress. I like a firmer mattress so this was perfect for me. If the mattress is too soft I have back discomfort. https://www.avocadogreenmattress.com
I didn't get the one with the topper of latex as I know I like a firmer mattress. I am really liking this one. It was highly rated in consumer reports. It does take a while to get as they are not mass produced. Per the site:
Avocado Green Mattresses are handmade to order in sunny California. We do not inventory our mattresses because we firmly believe "fresh is better!" Our "handmade-to-order" manufacturing queue and production process requires 1-2 weeks to complete before your order will ship.
The mattress arrives wrapped to remove air from packing material. Very nice.
Good luck with your mattress search
Old 09-06-18, 07:04 AM  
Diana3271

Thank you. What month did Consumer Reports do their most recent ratings? I can look at them at the library.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 09-06-18, 01:05 PM  
kathym
VF Supporter

Consumer Report had the mattress review on March 2018. Then in June 2018 they had a face off for mattress between Avocado and Charles P Rogers. Not sure if they have done any since. The avocado site also has links to consumer reports. https://www.avocadogreenmattress.com/consumer-reports/
This is an innerspring mattress which is what I was looking for.
Old 09-06-18, 08:13 PM  
DBW

That's strange, I have the March 2018 CR and there are mattress reviews but I don't see Avocado on the list.
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 09:10 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBW View Post
That's strange, I have the March 2018 CR and there are mattress reviews but I don't see Avocado on the list.
What about the June reviews? Is any of the info from the March reviews similar to the one on the Avocado site?

I haven't gotten to the library to check it out yet. I might even be able to access CR thought the library online portal. I need to check that out, too.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 09-06-18, 09:35 PM  
videofit

I keep seeing commercials for a purple mattress which I would buy just because it looks cool!

I've had my memory foam mattress for about five years and really like it. I also use an eggshell foam topper.
Old 09-07-18, 09:46 PM  
Diana3271

I got a login for Consumer reports and it shows the same info that's on the Avocado site. I wonder if they compiled all the info from a couple different tests? What's strange is that most of the top rated mattresses, I have never even heard of. Times have changed.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana

Tags
mattress, mattresses, sleep