Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-18, 04:14 PM  
Diana3271

Mattresses

Anyone have an update on their recent mattress purchase? I went back to read some posts in a couple of threads. Any updates and/or thoughts you care to share? TIA

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 04:50 PM  
nevertoolate

Diana,

I didn't post on the previous threads, but 4 or 5 months ago we replaced our queen Sleep Number bed with a king Casper mattress from Casper.com. We did a lot of research (Consumer Reports, online, etc.). I was highly skeptical about buying a mattress online (especially a bed-in-a-box), but the positive recommendations and the 100-night free-return trial convinced me. If we didn't like it, Casper would pick it up and refund our money, no questions asked. A lot of online retailers will do the same, so we were prepared to send it back and try another brand, if need be.

We love our Casper mattress! Most. Comfortable. Mattress. Ever!! We also bought their king-size pillows and percale sheets. We love them all. Excellent quality and comfort. One of the best purchases we've made in a long time. We highly recommend them.

Here's a link, for anyone who wants to check them out: https://casper.com/

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 05:58 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

If anyone is in the market for mattresses, I HIGHLY recommend the review site Sleep Like the Dead. Shopping for mattresses is no fun. There are zillions of brands, plus different models in each brand, and it is very difficult to comparison shop. This site is independent and not affiliated with any mattress manufacturer.

Sleep Like the Dead

I ditched our Stearns and Foster queen sized mattress/box spring for a Japanese shikibuton (authentic Japanese futon), a wool topper, and a wooden bed frame. Tatami mats fit inside the frame. The futon and topper go on top of the mats. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but we really like it. Great back support, the topper adds a layer of coziness, and the shikibuton and topper are 100% organic and made in the USA. It's easy to turn the shikibuton end to end and flip it over.

Contrast this with that Stearns and Foster mattress. I simply can.not.stand these enormous mattresses!! Ours didn't even have a pillow top and it was so heavy it was almost unmanageable. I work out and am strong, but even changing the sheets on our old mattress was a pain; so cumbersome, because the mattress was incredibly heavy. Don't get me started on turning the mattress. I could do it myself, just barely, but it took way more doing than it should have. It was comfortable, but just too heavy for me to mess with anymore. We don't know why we got it in the first place.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 06:14 PM  
BunnyHop

I haven't bought an entire new mattress, but for most of this year I've been sleeping on my old mattress with a memory foam topper. So much more comfortable now.

I got one memory foam topper for the mattress in dad's guest room, and tried it on my own bed for a while. Liked it well enough to buy one for myself.

It's just one of the 1" twin sized versions from Walmart. Definitely cheaper and easier than a new mattress. I briefly tried sleeping with two of the memory foam layers, but that wasn't as comfortable to me.

FWIW, the sheets and mattress protectors I use were generously cut enough that I've had no trouble making the bed.

For whatever reason, Walmart's website doesn't seem to want to search well for me just now, not sure if the one I got is still available. There were versions of varying thickness available in store, and I got the least expensive at the time.
Old 09-03-18, 06:36 PM  
bjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I haven't bought an entire new mattress, but for most of this year I've been sleeping on my old mattress with a memory foam topper. So much more comfortable now.

I got one memory foam topper for the mattress in dad's guest room, and tried it on my own bed for a while. Liked it well enough to buy one for myself.

It's just one of the 1" twin sized versions from Walmart. Definitely cheaper and easier than a new mattress. I briefly tried sleeping with two of the memory foam layers, but that wasn't as comfortable to me.

FWIW, the sheets and mattress protectors I use were generously cut enough that I've had no trouble making the bed.

For whatever reason, Walmart's website doesn't seem to want to search well for me just now, not sure if the one I got is still available. There were versions of varying thickness available in store, and I got the least expensive at the time.
This is what I am going to try doing. I went to several stores (we have a Tuft and Needle store in Phoenix as well as Mattress Firm.) I just couldn't find anything I felt was comfortable enough. Tuft and Needles 2 types didn't give enough support on the sides-I felt like I was going to roll off the bed. Mattress Firm prices were outrageous. I feel like I just need a topper for my pillow top-its a great Sealy mattress, still supportive but the pillow top has gotten crushed down.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 06:42 PM  
cecififi

We bought a new bed last year. I've always had a spring mattress which was comfortable but over the years the dust collected in my feather bed/feather pillows and bed so much that i wakened every morning with achey lungs. i got rid of it all and bought a memory foam mattress, bamboo (i think) duvet cover, silk duvet, etc on the pillows. wow. love memory foam. thought i didn't but when i really went shopping - i fell in love. you need to lay on a foam bed for at least 5 minutes before you really feel it. we love it! glad I tried something new.

good luck!
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-18, 08:23 PM  
Diana3271

Thank you so much for the replies and recommendations.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 09-04-18, 06:57 AM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post

I am also going to look into a topper first.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 09-04-18, 07:10 AM  
dmlarue1

we bought our bed 3 years ago and it was best decision ever. We got a sterns and foster extra firm. My back felt great but my hip got a little sore so I got a latex topper (latex is great for allergies, long lasting etc). That was perfect...great support for my back but cushioned enough to be comfortable

I was at a ladys house and they could not use their sleep number bed because the remote broke. they could not get another remote because the store was out. they had to ship it and it wouldn't be here for 4 days with the holiday. another friend had told me she had issues with her sleep number as well. I know people have them and love them...but I like my non technology mattress
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-18, 07:11 AM  
dmlarue1

we bought our bed 3 years ago and it was best decision ever. We got a sterns and foster extra firm. My back felt great but my hip got a little sore so I got a latex topper (latex is great for allergies, long lasting etc). That was perfect...great support for my back but cushioned enough to be comfortable

I was at a ladys house and they could not use their sleep number bed because the remote broke. they could not get another remote because the store was out. they had to ship it and it wouldn't be here for 4 days with the holiday. another friend had told me she had issues with her sleep number as well. I know people have them and love them...but I like my non technology mattress

I have also slept on a tempurpedic for a week...super comfortable bed..but woke up every morning sweating which I don't on my bed
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress, mattresses, sleep