Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-18, 09:18 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Help! Very sore rear!

Oh video friends, help me please..... my butt is so sore and has been for a while. It was not terrible so I kept doing workouts, though I have been taking many more rest days. My workouts were mostly ART and Callanetics. I had been doing some Hilliard Method in there for a while but the last few weeks have just been ART, Callanetics, and hiking/walking. I'm not sure if I should take an extended break or switch things up (which I don't really want to do), or what. I have been foam rolling, which gives some relief. Oh, the pain is on one side and it feels deep in there. When I foam roll it is like there is a "crunchy" deep in there, if you know what I mean. Thoughts?
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 10:03 AM  
wendug

For a sore booty I like to do the pigeon pose. It really stretches the muscles deep! And also the figure 4 stretch. Sorry I don't have a suggestion for the foam roller. I hope you find some relief soon!
Old 05-13-18, 11:03 AM  
BunnyHop

Double check with your doctor to make sure it's not something that needs medical attention.

I didn't realize I had bursitis til my doctor asked a bunch of questions.
It's feeling much better now, and I barely notice it, but til I knew how to treat it and avoid a flare up, I was awfully uncomfortable.
Old 05-13-18, 12:19 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

Strained piriformis muscle?

This sounds like a strained or pulled piriformis muscle. I had this a few months ago in one "cheek". It was a deep pain and it was agonizing to step up, for example.

I literally went to the doctor because I thought I had torn something! I rested it (no exercise and babying it), took ibuprofen and it slowly went away.

Ironically I think I overstretched & strained my piriformis muscle doing the pigeon pose that was recommended above to treat it (!). I am a little bit aggressive doing that pose nowadays.

Sending healing thoughts your way!
Old 05-13-18, 12:37 PM  
Vantreesta

I thought exactly the same as DawnP. I use Jill Miller's YTU balls to relieve tightness in my piriformis. Literally a pain in the butt! Hope you feel better soon.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 04:06 PM  
Hsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I thought exactly the same as DawnP. I use Jill Miller's YTU balls to relieve tightness in my piriformis. Literally a pain in the butt! Hope you feel better soon.
I would be very careful you sound like you have a strained piriformis muscle. I am going through the same thing as you. Please rest and take time to stretch and strengthen because this can be very painful! There is a lot of info out on the internet. Please look into it before it gets too bad.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 04:47 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I hope you figure it out soon Bee. I hope it's a muscle spasm and not piriformis.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 06:14 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oooh, I think you guys are right -- I think it's a piriformis problem. Thank you all very much for your comments and kind words too. I found this website that has some stretches and exercises I'll be working on. Guess it's workout hiatus time for me...... Well, or at least I have to switch things up in a pretty big way.

ETA: meant to include the website: https://www.alwaysfysio.nl/en/pirifo...ome-treatment/
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 06:56 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks for the link, Bee!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 08:26 PM  
ncl

I had piriformis syndrome with pelvic floor involvement. Talk about a pain in the rear! Know that if you typical piriformis PT doesn't work to resolve it, you can see a pelvic physical therapist (yes, there is such a thing). They can help work out any trigger points in your pelvic floor muscles. It took that for me to get better.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
piriformis