Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-15, 04:23 PM  
basima

Red face CrossFit Rant

I signed up and started going to Crossfit about a month and a half ago. I was fully drinking the cool aid and emersing myself in the program.

Fast forward to today and I dread going to class. It has almost everything to do with the way my body has responded. I get musclular fast, which I don't mind, but its extra. My shoulders have become broader, my thighs now rub together, and my stomach feels extra flabby.

How could this be? All the planks, push-ups, box jumps, burpees, oh my. I would blame it on water weight but never have my shoulders reacted this way. I am unable to fit shirts and jackets that were fine previously because of this.

So I want to quit but committed to 3 months @ over $200 per month. No problem, lesson learned I tell myself, but it still sucks pretty bad.

Anyone else have this experience? Any tips, suggestions? TIA
basima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-15, 04:29 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Maybe it's bloat/fluid retention? I hate to suggest sticking with a routine that you are hating, but it might be worth it to go for a few more weeks and see if your body adapts. You only have 6 weeks left. If you don't completely dread the workouts and are just hating the results, it might be worth it persevere... does the thought of that sound absolutely awful?! Personally I'd hate to see my money wasted, too!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-15, 04:42 PM  
twinkletoes

How often do you go? What if you didn't go as often?
Old 09-29-15, 04:45 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
That's what I was thinking. It would allow more recovery time/less swelling.
Old 09-29-15, 05:05 PM  
basima

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
I was going 3 times per week for the first full month and not seeing any positive changes so I upped it to 4-5.

I agree, I'm going to have to go less.
Old 09-29-15, 05:13 PM  
basima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Maybe it's bloat/fluid retention? I hate to suggest sticking with a routine that you are hating, but it might be worth it to go for a few more weeks and see if your body adapts. You only have 6 weeks left. If you don't completely dread the workouts and are just hating the results, it might be worth it persevere... does the thought of that sound absolutely awful?! Personally I'd hate to see my money wasted, too!
I don't hate the workouts, as a matter of fact, if I was getting the results I want I would be loving it! It will take some willpower to continue.

I guess I'm spoiled. I'm used to quick results, the type I get with TA/P57/Jari Love/running, etc.
Old 09-29-15, 05:31 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

What if you used lighter weights than you're capable of using. Might cut down on some of that muscle growth. Can you concentrate on one aspect of the workout, or do you have to do their way no matter what?
Old 09-29-15, 05:50 PM  
IceQueen07

I don't know if you can or not, but do you know someone who may want to take over the remaining time you have? That way maybe you wouldn't be out the money and wouldn't have to dread going.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-15, 06:11 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Personally, if I enjoyed the workouts, I would continue,going, even if I weren't loving,the aesthetics. I'd just consider it a three month experiment. You'll see how your body responds once you've given it a fair shot.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-15, 06:15 PM  
basima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
What if you used lighter weights than you're capable of using. Might cut down on some of that muscle growth. Can you concentrate on one aspect of the workout, or do you have to do their way no matter what?
Everyone is expected to follow the coach's instruction and complete the workout of the day. The only time I see anyone doing anything separate is when they are nursing an injury.

They also push me to go heavier (I've tried to lighten up). I may need to pull a coach to the side and let them know what I'm trying to do and why.

Tags
crossfit