Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-14, 01:52 PM  
Keepfitgirl

Is it odd that I carry more fat on my right hip than my left?

I noticed the other day that I've got probably just about one handful on the left side and well over a handful on the other! Just wondering if that's strange or signifies some sort of imbalance somewhere?

Thanks

Emma
Keepfitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 01:59 PM  
Sollamyn

I can't really answer your question. I'm pretty sure I have more fat on the left side of my lower belly than I have on the right. It has always been that way. I think it is probably genetic.

Donna
Old 03-11-14, 04:14 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Could it be some other type of inflammation?
Old 03-11-14, 04:34 PM  
Mandy

I have more fat on my left inner thigh than my right inner thigh. It was always a question in the back of my mind as to why? Maybe the fact that we have a dominant side? I remember the Firm and Tracie Long saying to work the weaker side first.
Old 03-11-14, 04:45 PM  
4leftlimbs

I am more toned on my right side than my left, and I think it's because of driving, which keeps my right leg under tension and working. I find that even when not driving, I end up putting pressure in my right leg that I'm not putting on my left, probably out of unconscious habit. However, I wouldn't say that the disparity is as much as you described in your case.

ETA: Should've added that maybe your everyday activities ends up "favoring" the use of your left side, which leaves your hip more lean on this side. (My last line in my original post was not meant as an insult! Should've explained myself better. )
4leftlimbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 05:44 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I have a muscle imbalance where my right hip is weaker than my left, and when I started doing Callanetics, my left side did the pretzel better than my right, which definitely slimmed my left outer thigh more than my right. It happened very quickly, I finally realized after three sessions to start with my right, and then only do that many reps on my left. But by then the "damage" was done.

As I continued to do Callanetics, and my right hip started catching up in strength, the appearance started to evened out, but I kept falling off the exercise wagon before I actually fixed it.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 06:17 PM  
PrairieGem

I take my measurements pretty frequently (I'm a seamstress), and no matter what I weigh or what size I am, my right thigh is ALWAYS a full inch bigger than my left. (I don't drive that much, so I'm sure it's not toned muscle. LOL) I would assume that it's some combination of muscle and fat... I think most people are familiar with the phenomenon of their dominant side hands/arms/fingers being slightly larger, and certainly it's not at all uncommon for women to have differently-sized breasts (which are largely fat tissue). Likewise, people often have different-sized feet--which are mostly NOT fat. As a species, we exhibit bilateral symmetry... but that doesn't always mean each side is a perfect reflection of the other.

...Which is to say, yes, it is hard to buy pants, thank you for asking. But I don't think you're weird.
Old 03-11-14, 06:18 PM  
Jane1721

Is the difference noticeable just by looking, or do you have to scrutinize in order to see the difference? I don't think any of us are completely symmetrical. Everyone has one foot bigger than the other, etc. Based on that, it would seem to make sense that our fat is not distributed 100% evenly. Then again, I have no scientific or medical basis for thinking this!
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 06:59 PM  
tamib

My bra roll is definitely bigger on the right than on the left, the dr. agreed with me and said it may be due to some slight scoliosis.

Tammy
tamib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 07:37 PM  
kitty12

I have very noticeable cellulite on one side and barely anything on the other. Luckily shorts cover it but still always seems strange to be so out of balance! I guess it must be normal!
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote